Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2018 10:35:16 PM EDT
It must be that the ammo price is back down.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#1]
It must be that the ammo is available.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#2]
It felt good to burn through a brick without worrying "will I be able to replace this ammo" done it twice in the past month or so now, my 10/22TD is the shit
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#3]
There have been a lot of new 22s and conversions released in the last couple years.  Great way to get new shooters introduced and having some fun.  I love 22s, I have more guns in 22LR than any other caliber in my safe.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:11:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I am with AG04 I have more .22’s than anything else and enjoy shooting them more than any other caliber, low cost no reloading to worry about and while you must respect them safety wise like any other gun I like they are not “serious”
Not everything about shooting is surviving an active shooter scenario a charging lion or zombie apocalypse. I like they are just fun
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#5]
This weekend, I blew through 1,100 rounds of Federal 40gr. .22LR between my Walther .22UZI and Ruger Mk.II. It was all good old-fashioned plinking too. Minute-of-soup-can accuracy, no "precision" shooting.

A fun game we played is stapling a playing card to a cardboard backer (just one staple at the top) @10yards and seeing;

1) how FEW rounds it took to cut the card in half (no time limit)

then

2) how FAST you could cut the card in half (no round limit)

A fun time was had by every participant and all wagers (in beer) were settled later that same day.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It must be that the ammo is available.
View Quote
This.  Since I got a 22lr can I’ve been picking up more hosts too.

Wish HK would bring back their 22lr MP5
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#7]
my 22s are set up pretty closely to my "actual" guns so I get to practice draws, sight picture, trigger work, reloads, transitions, etc. My AR has a comp so it recoils about as hard as a 22, so the practice transfers over pretty well. I am more than happy to send 500 rounds down range in a 22 with all that comes with it, then load up a gun in a social caliber for some practice. 95% of the skills transition over.

I would be way more scared of my wife with her favorite bolt action 22 than her with anything she's less practiced or familiar.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
my 22s are set up pretty closely to my "actual" guns so I get to practice draws, sight picture, trigger work, reloads, transitions, etc. My AR has a comp so it recoils about as hard as a 22, so the practice transfers over pretty well. I am more than happy to send 500 rounds down range in a 22 with all that comes with it, then load up a gun in a social caliber for some practice. 95% of the skills transition over.

I would be way more scared of my wife with her favorite bolt action 22 than her with anything she's less practiced or familiar.
View Quote
You say that 95% of the skills transfer.  I would agree and actually add that there is a huge advantage of not having to deal with extra recoil and noise while you're practicing trigger control and sight alignment, especially if we're talking about an inexperienced shooter.

A lot of people would do better if they shooting by running through 10k rounds of .22LR.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 12:31:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
SBRed mine and love it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 2:32:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Well....now that YOU know.

Will you be, "stocking up?"

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have one and LOVE it. I would love to go the SBR route as a host for my Sparrow but haven't figured out the best way to do it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Price and availability.

Around here, during the shortage, the local Walmart was breaking up bricks of .22 ammo into the individual 50 round boxes and putting them on the shelves.  The limit was "3" boxes per customer per sale.

I watched the Walmart folks breaking up the bricks.  I watch guys come in, see the 50 round boxes, get on their cellphone, call their buddies, then grab 3 boxes, walk out the door, come back, buy 3 more boxes, their buddies showed up, they repeated the buying/leaving/returning/buying/leaving/returning thing till all the 50 round boxes of .22 ammo was gone.

About 4 or 5 months back I noticed there were actual bricks of .22 ammo on the shelf at one of the local Walmart stores.  I bought two bricks.  One for me, one for my youngest son.  A couple weeks later I bought two more, one for my nephew and one for my oldest son.  And there are still bricks on the shelf at the local Walmart stores.  Not sure if the ammo companies are making more or the guys cleaning out the shelves ran out of places to store the ammo.  I did notice, at the gun show Sunday, that people are still trying to sell bricks of Thunderbolts for $55 to $65 each.  Walmart has them for just under $22 each.  Hopefully, people are buying from Walmart and letting the gougers drown in their overly expensive .22 ammo so many of them probably bought at Walmart a few years back.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I’m getting ready to drop about $2500 into my .22 bolt action.

.22s are fun af
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Ammo is easier to find and the selection is better. Also, lots of quality .22 simi rifles now. I been shooting my Sig 522 quite a bit the last few years. Been drooling over a 2A Armament .22lr rifle. Its $1400.00, but it only 3lbs.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#15]
All three of the walmarts  here in town have a tone of 22lr on the shelf. The sportsman wearhouse have a palet full and multiple shelves full. None of it is priced good right now. So it just sits there lol
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 11:18:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It felt good to burn through a brick without worrying "will I be able to replace this ammo" done it twice in the past month or so now, my 10/22TD is the shit
View Quote
Yep, I felt like I had to be very limited with the ammo I shot.  Every shot whittled away at my stash and I tried to replenish my supply whenever possible without being picky about what who made it.  Now I blast away and its easy to get .22LR again at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#17]
For me it's ammo availability and the fact that my 7yo son enjoys shooting with me.  I don't have that "lifetime stash" of ammo that some people have but my stack is pretty good.  
We've been plinking a ton since I set up a shooting gallery in the front yard. I love every minute of it!

CHRIS
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 9:27:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For me it's ammo availability and the fact that my 7yo son enjoys shooting with me.  I don't have that "lifetime stash" of ammo that some people have but my stack is pretty good.  
We've been plinking a ton since I set up a shooting gallery in the front yard. I love every minute of it!

CHRIS
View Quote
A "lifetime stash" for lifetime memories sounds like a good trade to me!
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 10:27:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Just got my second Fostech Echo II trigger that uses an M16 carrier.  When my sear trip comes in for my CMMG kit, I am going to make it rain with rimfire brass!!!!

I was in the .22lr game before it was cool.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top