Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2018 8:34:09 PM EDT
Normally I use firehose to secure my steel targets. This, apparently, does not work for a .50. I'm shooting these at 500 yards. It lasted a whopping 8 or so rounds before it shredded the firehose. I'm guessing chains aren't much better since I've had people ruin chains with "normal" cartridges. Do I need strips of tire?
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I work for my state's conservation department and one of the things we have are public shooting ranges.  On the unmanned ones we have found two things that work well to hold up targets:  old conveyor belts (if you can find them) and seatbelt straps.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I go to Tractor Supply and buy hay baler belting.  Not sure on a 50 but it holds up well to 223.  I cut it into 1" wide strips on the bandsaw and double it up in a loop so if the first strip is cut the 2nd will hopefully hold it.  I was going to do tires but cutting them is a pain.  Fire hose availability was hit or miss.  Dont try to buy it during baling season though.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/wcco-belting-baler-belting-2-ply-4-in-x-60-in
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Normally I use firehose to secure my steel targets. This, apparently, does not work for a .50. I'm shooting these at 500 yards. It lasted a whopping 8 or so rounds before it shredded the firehose. I'm guessing chains aren't much better since I've had people ruin chains with "normal" cartridges. Do I need strips of tire?
View Quote
What size fire hose?  I use 4" supply line.  I've not cut through mine yet in several years of shooting.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What size fire hose?  I use 4" supply line.  I've not cut through mine yet in several years of shooting.
View Quote
No idea. It's probably 4" or so across when laying flat.

I think some of y'all are missing the point that it's for .50 BMG. Not .308 or .223. There's a huge difference in splatter between the two. I've hung plates for "normal" calibers for years and know about conveyor belt and, clearly, firehose.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 12:46:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Hang your plates from backside only with a spacer between steel and belting - why - so splatter is directed into the ground by plate hanging at an angle.

I have fired almost 9000 rounds thru my AR-50 (3 barrels) and the above is the only way to hang steel.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hang your plates from backside only with a spacer between steel and belting - why - so splatter is directed into the ground by plate hanging at an angle.

I have fired almost 9000 rounds thru my AR-50 (3 barrels) and the above is the only way to hang steel.
View Quote
This

OP you're hanging them wrong
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 8:17:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This

OP you're hanging them wrong
View Quote
Won't argue that. Hence the thread homie. My
method used for years clearly wasn't working for .50s.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#9]
My firehouse lasts just fine with my 50 as well as my other rifles.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No idea. It's probably 4" or so across when laying flat.

I think some of y'all are missing the point that it's for .50 BMG. Not .308 or .223. There's a huge difference in splatter between the two. I've hung plates for "normal" calibers for years and know about conveyor belt and, clearly, firehose.
View Quote
I use 4" hose on 2 3/4" inch thick AR500 plates that I shoot with my AR50.  I've not had to replace it yet in several years of shooting.   I've shot the bolt heads out, but not damaged the hose enough to need replacement.

Also, I angle my targets.  I use 8" carriage bolts and put enough of a downward angle that most of the splash goes toward the ground.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top