Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2020 4:41:21 PM EDT
I'm replacing a broken front sight on a Benelli super black eagle shotgun.  I went with the factory sight since I liked the last one.  It's a small fiber optic rod held by two rings with a base that screws into the barrel rib.

I got the old sight out without an issue, but I'm having trouble getting the new one to index properly.  When finger tight, it is about 1/8 of a turn beyond parallel with the barrel.  I'm hesitant to go another 3/8 turns and risk twisting it off.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Link with a photo of the sight https://www.shopbenelli.com/sights-bases-rails/60458
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to do this to my shotgun, but I cannot get the damn brass bead off
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Thoroughly degrease the post and hole, Apply Loctite 271 (red) and align the sight so it is straight. Do not disturb and let cure for 24hrs.

or

Cut open a promo shell and take a shot pellet or two and put in the bottom of the hole, then thread your bead in. The shot should compress to give tension on the post but allow you to align the fiber optic.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would like to do this to my shotgun, but I cannot get the damn brass bead off
View Quote

What kind of shotgun? Some beads are pressed in, others are threaded. If its threaded you can try heating and using a pin vise to get a grip on the bead to unscrew it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 2:35:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What kind of shotgun? Some beads are pressed in, others are threaded. If its threaded you can try heating and using a pin vise to get a grip on the bead to unscrew it.
View Quote

Winchester 1300 defender.  I tried pliers, but it just marred it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, Not familiar with the Winchester's. You could try calling them up and asking? Or take it to a local smith and let them deal with it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sorry, Not familiar with the Winchester's. You could try calling them up and asking? Or take it to a local smith and let them deal with it.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll probably do that so I don't screw it up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks, I'll probably do that so I don't screw it up.
View Quote

Looks like the 1300 is screwed in according to this.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Winchester_1300_bead_sight_question____/1-373735/
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm replacing a broken front sight on a Benelli super black eagle shotgun.  I went with the factory sight since I liked the last one.  It's a small fiber optic rod held by two rings with a base that screws into the barrel rib.

I got the old sight out without an issue, but I'm having trouble getting the new one to index properly.  When finger tight, it is about 1/8 of a turn beyond parallel with the barrel.  I'm hesitant to go another 3/8 turns and risk twisting it off.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Link with a photo of the sight https://www.shopbenelli.com/sights-bases-rails/60458
View Quote

Use a trimmer to trim off the bottom of the sight so it can turn in that little bit more.

bead facing tool
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:38:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Looks like the 1300 is screwed in according to this.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Winchester_1300_bead_sight_question____/1-373735/
View Quote

Hmmm, if it had a hex under the bead it would not be a problem, I don't know how the would unscrew it out as it is just a ball with not much to grip on.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Run a tap into the threads to insure they aren't damaged. Use a level, make sure the tap is running in straight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top