Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2018 3:27:06 PM EDT
So I picked up this 444 Marlin earlier this summer in great condition, barely looks used. I took it out and put 20 rounds through it for a "shoulder test" and I am hooked. I was using the stock buckhorn sights. Another local shop had Leupold scopes on sale, so I picked up a 2x7, rings, and a weaver base. Shot it some more and zeroed the scope 2" at 100 yards.
But now, I cannot use the irons if I were ever to need to, say if the scope was damaged somehow bumping down a fire road or dropping the rifle.

What solutions have you come up with for being able to access both sighting methods....scope and irons at the same time?

The weaver style scope base has a sortbof channel running through it length-wise. With no scope I can easily use the irons. The slots that the scope rings pass through are deep enough that the screws do no protrude over the slot. I am trying to avoid using the Leupold Rifleman scope rings, they look cheap, gawdy, and are made of aluminum....I prefer steel.

Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Weaver used to make a flip to the side mount for that rifle. Similar to the flip in/out magnifier mounts out there today. Perhaps finding one of the old Weavers, or using a pair of the mag mounts might work.
Another alternative would be to use any one of the many high quality Q/D scope mounts since you mention iron sight usage in the event of the scope becoming damaged.

Personally not a member of the Church of the Unholy Co-witness, so most of my rifles that are scoped are scoped with Q/D mounts.

Last and absolutely the least favorable option are the so-called "See Through" ringsets. Not even sure now who made them and if they are still available. ymmv
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I don’t have better pics, but this should give you the idea.

On the marlin you can see/sort of/the rail I made from some brownells pic rail blank.   I’m using QR mounts on the 2x leop. and they work well.   I can pull the glass and replace it with only a very slight zero shift, if any.   I will pull and stow that scope when the snow flies hard, and use the factory irons.  Most of my elk have been taken under 100 yds, so the cheesy marlin irons work well enough for that,
And when it snows hard, the scope is pretty useless anyway.

Any good QR rings and a good pic rail should give you the same results, and your glass will be down nice and low on the gun where it should be.  It won’t be cheap for quality rings, but it will be worth it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 45-70 Guide Gun with a 2-7 Vortex Scout scope mounted on an XS Systems lever rail with their back up peep sights. I used QD rings on it in case the scope goes bad and I have to switch to the iron sights:

Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 45-70 Guide Gun with a 2-7 Vortex Scout scope mounted on an XS Systems lever rail with their back up peep sights. I used QD rings on it in case the scope goes bad and I have to switch to the iron sights:

https://i.postimg.cc/2SddsVZN/930-B7-AE0-A052-4-CB7-96-A1-37-C7-EF427-B1-C.jpg
View Quote
Looks great! A scout rail and scout specific scope (LER) is a little more involved than what I want to get into at the moment. I am not liking the higher see through rings, most are aluminum and excessivly high. I think I'm just going to grab a set of Leupold QRW rings and give it a go. Scope gets damaged or crazy bad weather...flip two levers and go to the irons.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/2SddsVZN/930-B7-AE0-A052-4-CB7-96-A1-37-C7-EF427-B1-C.jpg
View Quote
I set mine up like this, using Warne QD rings &  ghost ring peeps.

& congrats on the 444 pick up, it's a prerequisite for membership in the local man club.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

& congrats on the 444 pick up, it's a prerequisite for membership in the local man club.
View Quote
Thanks. Definately a fun gun to shoot. More so than regular bolt action guns....and just a little more so than AR's. My first lever gun, so the experience is unique. I thought it was a 30-30 when it was up on the wall, but when the gun shop guy handed it to me I thought it had a little more to it than a 30-30. Looked at the barrel....JM stamp and .444 Marlin cal. Looked at the tag....$350. Sold! Will work perfectly in strait-wall-cartridge-land when I move to Ohio in a couple years.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#7]
any set of rings that can be taken off with a coin would be fine.  Then you can simply remove the scope if its not working.  Unless you plan on switching back and forth in which case QD rings would be the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks. Definately a fun gun to shoot. More so than regular bolt action guns....and just a little more so than AR's. My first lever gun, so the experience is unique. I thought it was a 30-30 when it was up on the wall, but when the gun shop guy handed it to me I thought it had a little more to it than a 30-30. Looked at the barrel....JM stamp and .444 Marlin cal. Looked at the tag....$350. Sold! Will work perfectly in strait-wall-cartridge-land when I move to Ohio in a couple years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Save your brass
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:05:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Save your brass
View Quote
No doubt. All I have shot is Hornady, both the Superformance FP and their FTX Leverevolution. Saving all of the brass till I start reloading. I'd like to find an all copper bullet to try.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No doubt. All I have shot is Hornady, both the Superformance FP and their FTX Leverevolution. Saving all of the brass till I start reloading. I'd like to find an all copper bullet to try.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Save your brass
The FTX brass is short, only good for FTX loads
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I put a 1-4x20 Leupold with low QRW rings on this 35XLR using the RPP rail with integral peep sight.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2018 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I put a 1-4x20 Leupold with low QRW rings on this 35XLR using the RPP rail with integral peep sight.  
https://i.imgur.com/9qL2xFHh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/asEtOZbh.jpg
View Quote
That’s a pretty great idea. Wish the rail was longer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top