Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2018 9:29:34 PM EDT
I have a McCutchen 50, Vortex HST sitting in an American Defense Recon mount and everything is torqued to spec and have just hit the 20 round mark and noticed today my scope has moved forward 1/2". Any fixes you have used successfully or any thoughts on how to remedy this?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Does that mount have a recoil bar in it? And if so , when you mounted it did you push that mount forward when you tightened it all up?
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry should have mentioned, it is a quick detach mount and it locks up TIGHT. The scope also shows scratch marks from where it was mounted to where it ended up and the marks look concentric like there is positive contact throughout the scope ring.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Clean rings with alcohol. Sprinkle a little powdered rosin before mounting scope. Make sure torque driver is accurate. If it's been dropped, or not set to the lowest setting each time after use, it may be inaccurate.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#4]
might want to try verifying the rings are good with an alignment tool and maybe lap them

the 50 will prove any flaw in your rig
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Either use friction tape, or I have in the past used a very thin coating of rubber cement inside the rings.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive been through this a few times. Lap rings, use rosin.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]
i away use rubber cement inside my rings. If you can use additional rings on the mount. I have 2 sets of millet rings on my scope.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Lapping the rings is the 1st priority. Clean with alcohol and torque evenly and to spec. I haven't used anything like tape or glue. Rosin is a good idea. Don't overdo the lapping. You should try to get 70% contact at least.
https://shop.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/scope-alignment-rods/sinclair-34mm-scope-ring-lapping-tool-sku749013924-36022-158742.aspx?cm_mmc=PPC-_-Itwine-_-Google-_-749-013-924&gclid=CjwKCAjw4PHZBRA-EiwAAas4ZoJejQUXXUVZaXYZSDtbzw3rWlqbDGqXiZsI0XiqqaGsgy6cRQy0CxoC4KUQAvD_BwE
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top