Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2022 3:26:21 PM EDT
Looking at getting a Beeman R9 in .22 (have R7 .177 and it's solid).
Looking to add the Hawke 3x9 40 AO and have a question on ring height.

I'm thinking High vs. low or extra high. Is there a formula or?
My R7 has a 2x7 30 Hawke and a one-piece uni mount. Looks "low" but with a 40mm objective I believe high is in order.

Appreciate the help.

R9

High rings
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Turns out, there is a calculation. I should have know this but thought I would share.

Hawke Ring Guide

I'm looking at a 3x9 x 40 (54mm OD objective per Hawke website)

Link Posted: 12/12/2022 9:06:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PerpetualNewb] [#2]
If you want to minimize height over bore it can get complicated real quick. Rings measure to different points. Some use the outside of the tube, some the center. Some the bottom of the ring mount (especially dovetail) or the top of the mounting rail (Picatinny usually). For extra credit combine a dovetail to Pic rail adapter.

I made a spreadsheet to make sense out of it. I just looked at it and it doesn't make sense to me now, but I got the low height I wanted. :)

Or if you don't obsess over that, pick something you know will be 'high enough' and roll with it.

EDIT: BTW, I used a dovetail to pic rail adapter. It had the advantage of more contact with the dovetail so it is more solid than single rings. Hopefully the pic rail is more repeatable too if I want to swap out a scope for red dot, etc. It was that combination that also gave me lowest height over bore.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 10:37:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: outdoorgb] [#3]
Thought I would update this post. For this package, a gift for a relative, I went with the 1-pc Sportmatch DM60 Dampa mount...
Buy once, cry once. I wanted the shooter to have a mount that would work with the rifle/scope for a long time.

Then, I bought myself a Weihrauch HK97 in .22 so I got two mounts. Buy two, cry once!

Sportmatch DM60 Dampa

For the scope I went with Hawke 4-12x40 AO Airmax... buy two, cry once. Merry Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/15/2022 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By outdoorgb:
Thought I would update this post. For this package, a gift for a relative, I went with the 1-pc Sportmatch DM60 Dampa mount...
Buy once, cry once. I wanted the shooter to have a mount that would work with the rifle/scope for a long time.

Then, I bought myself a Weihrauch HK97 in .22 so I got two mounts. Buy two, cry once!

Sportmatch DM60 Dampa

For the scope I went with Hawke 4-12x40 AO Airmax... buy two, cry once. Merry Christmas!
View Quote

I like your thought process 🤠
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I have UTG Pro medium rings on my R9 with a 40mm scope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top