Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2018 6:03:17 PM EDT
Hey all. For an upcoming project, I'm unsure yet as to the rifle finish. The two plans are a stark contrast.

1. All dull black finish: firearm, furniture, suppressor, optics.
2. Bead blasted SS firearm, rosewood 'ish furniture, scope?

So for scenario 1, I'll be using Gunkote 2400 (because I've used it and comfortable w/ it), in either HK or Socom. But, how do I coat the scope? I'm assuming I can't put it in the oven to cure so how am I to match the color?

For scenario 2, I can easily bead blast the firearm and suppressor tube as well as finish the wood furniture. What coating should I use to match the scope to bead blasted SS and again with the Q above?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Come on guys, someone has to have coated or tried to match a scope before, no?
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
@Modern_Outfitters
Yes, very helpful.
I'm familiar w/ Gunkote and Duracoat, from back in the day. If I had to use Ceracoat, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Would you be able to share the lower temp setting and what prep would be done to the scope? Also, would you know the color or combo used to match bead blasted SS?
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We coat optics all the time with cerakote.  If I am not mistaken our guys cure them on lower heat settings for longer duration.  Not sure if that helps you any.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Come on guys, someone has to have coated or tried to match a scope before, no?
We coat optics all the time with cerakote.  If I am not mistaken our guys cure them on lower heat settings for longer duration.  Not sure if that helps you any.
That's what I've done, too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 12:59:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
@Modern_Outfitters
Yes, very helpful.
I'm familiar w/ Gunkote and Duracoat, from back in the day. If I had to use Ceracoat, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Would you be able to share the lower temp setting and what prep would be done to the scope? Also, would you know the color or combo used to match bead blasted SS?
View Quote
I’ve cerakote my scope.

I used sandpaper to roughen up the tube/metal. Taped off of course the lens areas. Baked in toaster oven at 150 degrees for 4 hours.

Check your oven settings. Sometimes 150 can actually be 225.

I’m not sure how hot a scope will take but 150 degrees over a long interval was safer than 200+ on a shorter interval.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I got an email back from KG. They wouldn't recommend the lower temp, longer time. Instead, they said to use the Flat Black in the 1800 Air Cure series.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top