User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

FirstRoundPop, weight, and it’s horrible to take apart and clean.

If it was “cheap” it was <$200
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, I just purchased my first can, and it is a sparrow.I know next to nothing about suppressors, and was talked into it by the guy at scheels, and it was cheep.Please explain what is so bad about this can, and  FRP, you guys mentioned, I don't know what that means.

FirstRoundPop, weight, and it’s horrible to take apart and clean.

If it was “cheap” it was <$200

While I wouldn't recommend a Sparrow to anyone simply because there are alternatives I like a lot more, I never thought they were horrible to take apart at all. Wasn't that their original selling point in that design?

I have both an original aluminum Sparrow and the stainless version that came out shortly after. Someone mentioned 1000 rounds making it difficult to disassemble, that hasn't been my experience at all. I've put many thousands of rounds through them without cleaning and still don't remember having a hard time getting them apart.

That said, I would never buy another Sparrow because of the weight. My stainless Sparrow weighs 6.5oz. Looks like they must have trimmed that down a bit as I see on their website they now list it as 6.1oz. My aluminum Sparrow is 4.7oz. Never though that 1.8oz difference would mean anything, but on a pistol I could plainly tell the difference between those two.

My go-to rimfire suppressor now is the EA Nyx. At 3.6oz, on a pistol it's got me spoiled. Sounds great. I don't see myself ever buying another rimfire suppressor over 4-4.5oz again, not when there's good lighter options to be had. But that's me. And the weight is less significant on a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

While I wouldn't recommend a Sparrow to anyone simply because there are alternatives I like a lot more, I never thought they were horrible to take apart at all. Wasn't that their original selling point in that design?

I have both an original aluminum Sparrow and the stainless version that came out shortly after. Someone mentioned 1000 rounds making it difficult to disassemble, that hasn't been my experience at all. I've put many thousands of rounds through them without cleaning and still don't remember having a hard time getting them apart.

That said, I would never buy another Sparrow because of the weight. My stainless Sparrow weighs 6.5oz. Looks like they must have trimmed that down a bit as I see on their website they now list it as 6.1oz. My aluminum Sparrow is 4.7oz. Never though that 1.8oz difference would mean anything, but on a pistol I could plainly tell the difference between those two.

My go-to rimfire suppressor now is the EA Nyx. At 3.6oz, on a pistol it's got me spoiled. Sounds great. I don't see myself ever buying another rimfire suppressor over 4-4.5oz again, not when there's good lighter options to be had. But that's me. And the weight is less significant on a rifle.
View Quote

I love my NYX!

My sparrow seizes up with lead between the clamshells. It requires lots of pounding with a dowel and mallet for days to take it apart.

Obviously YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Have a mask, a takedown 22 and a nyx in jail (120 days into the wait, eform4). Mask is the one I recommend but it is a bit heavy that is why I have bought a nyx.

Did find out that the takedown 22 needs to be cleaned more often than the mask, at least mine does. Was using it over the weekend and my bullets started keyholing (they were barely clipping the end cap, no damage though), a good cleaning in diluted CLR and I was back to shooting tight groups. Takedown 22 only had 500 rds through it whereas my mask has over 1000 and is still shooting fine.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a YHM Phantom 22 in jail. Seems to shoot real good at the range. Can’t speak to how it cleans up because I haven’t done that yet. But it is quiet and only weighs 4 oz. From the reviews I’ve seen, it compares with the Mask in terms of performance, weighs less and costs less. I don’t regret going with it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Generally speaking the rimfire can market is so full of win right now that your going to have to really go out of your way to pick a complete turd.  I'm sure you've seen a trend through out the replies of all the major cans to consider and none of them are right or wrong.

I personally have a Mask and a Phantom 22.  If and when I ever get around to it a NYX or a Takedown are the likely next candidates.  The Occulus and Switchback also would be welcome additions.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a YHM Phantom 22 in jail. Seems to shoot real good at the range. Can’t speak to how it cleans up because I haven’t done that yet. But it is quiet and only weighs 4 oz. From the reviews I’ve seen, it compares with the Mask in terms of performance, weighs less and costs less. I don’t regret going with it.
View Quote

My next can will be a phantom or a nyx
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Generally speaking the rimfire can market is so full of win right now that your going to have to really go out of your way to pick a complete turd.  I'm sure you've seen a trend through out the replies of all the major cans to consider and none of them are right or wrong.

I personally have a Mask and a Phantom 22.  If and when I ever get around to it a NYX or a Takedown are the likely next candidates.  The Occulus and Switchback also would be welcome additions.

View Quote

In your experience, how do the Mask and Phantom compare?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

In your experience, how do the Mask and Phantom compare?
View Quote

YHM Phantom 22 and Dead Air Mask compared

The YHM has just a hair more first round pop but other wise sound exactly the same to me as the MASK when shot side by side.  Utilized the same hosts and lot of ammo so it's the best comparison I could provide.  The video doesn't do either justice honestly. The YHM is a couple of ounces lighter and most of the weight is towards the rear where the blast baffle module is located. Its noticeable on the handgun.  Ironically it is slightly fat at 1.2 inches in diameter where most rimfire cans are typically about an inch. You would think it would be front end heavy just looking at it lol.  Over all for the money and performance the YHM is a solid buy IMO.  Of course the MASK is fantastic so your good to go with either of them.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qkmbtffhE

The YHM has just a hair more first round pop but other wise sound exactly the same to me as the MASK when shot side by side.  Utilized the same hosts and lot of ammo so it's the best comparison I could provide.  The video doesn't do either justice honestly. The YHM is a couple of ounces lighter and most of the weight is towards the rear where the blast baffle module is located. Its noticeable on the handgun.  Ironically it is slightly fat at 1.2 inches in diameter where most rimfire cans are typically about an inch. You would think it would be front end heavy just looking at it lol.  Over all for the money and performance the YHM is a solid buy IMO.  Of course the MASK is fantastic so your good to go with either of them.

View Quote

Thanks!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top