Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2018 3:25:26 PM EDT
Just in case anyone runs into this bozo...

So I have an AR pistol listed on Armslist, and I got a message from someone interested, he asks for my bottom dollar on it and when I reply I get basically this message "I'll take it, I am an FFL so you can ship it straight to me... here is my FFL" (photo will be attached at the end).

So I check on the FFL at the ATF site, it matches up, I look up the business--- CLOSED... Call all the phone numbers I have found, all busy all the time. I google the name and another scam thread comes up. My next step will be to call the ATF (They are closed today) to report this.

Link (sorry if it's not allowed).
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12512719/2

Update:

FFL Photo removed as suggested.

I have asked for a phone number so that I can speak to him.... Hopefully I get a response, and hopefully I am 100% wrong about this. Maybe the internet just made me suspicious.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#1]
What address was he wanting you to send to?
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Hortons gun and pawn:

Is very fishy looking.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Just because he discontinued his brick and mortar business does not mean he has to turn in his FFL.

Most FFLs wouldn't be wild about having their license posted on a public forum. Maybe pull it down until you actually know what's going on?
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
He can have it shipped to either address on the form.  Further more, he can have warehouses with other addresses.  He does not have to have it shipped to the addresses on the FFL.  If his FFL is legit and he paid for it, send it.  What are you an amateur ATF agent?
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like he just closed the store front.  Especially if the FFL still checks out on EZCheck.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He can have it shipped to either address on the form.  Further more, he can have warehouses with other addresses.  He does not have to have it shipped to the addresses on the FFL.  If his FFL is legit and he paid for it, send it.  What are you an amateur ATF agent?
View Quote
Yeah, I'm an amateur ATF agent in my spare time when I'm not working at the strip club. (Sarcasm, clearly)

Here's the latest email... Fishy to me: still- maybe I am wrong.

"Thanks for getting back to me with the address to mail the payment to , i will start working on getting the payment to you and I will as well be responsible for the shipping fees like I said earlier which would be included in the check as well and also there will be extra funds on the cashier check as to avoid delay i will have my pay check from a contract I executed. It will be mailed to you instead of me to avoid delay in the payment as I do not have any account to issue check from right now, so upon the clearance you will deduct the agreed price + shipping and the extra $75 for securing the arm for me while i will make proper arrangement on how you will get the extra funds on the payment to me, also i want you to remove the ads from armslist, so I'll be rest assured its for me, and he will mail the cashier check out tomorrow morning or next. Let me know if you do not have any problem with this to avoid further misunderstanding"
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

"Thanks for getting back to me with the address to mail the payment to , i will start working on getting the payment to you and I will as well be responsible for the shipping fees like I said earlier which would be included in the check as well and also there will be extra funds on the cashier check as to avoid delay i will have my pay check from a contract I executed. It will be mailed to you instead of me to avoid delay in the payment as I do not have any account to issue check from right now, so upon the clearance you will deduct the agreed price + shipping and the extra $75 for securing the arm for me while i will make proper arrangement on how you will get the extra funds on the payment to me, also i want you to remove the ads from armslist, so I'll be rest assured its for me, and he will mail the cashier check out tomorrow morning or next. Let me know if you do not have any problem with this to avoid further misunderstanding"
View Quote
Yeah, OK, that's sketchy as fuck and screams "scam."
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#9]
That would be a decline sale for me, I would walk away.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Another one for
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I already wrote this one off... Still waiting for that Nigerian Prince to send me my $$

Been having a great time dealing with BS on some used sales and trades last week or so. The good news is I ended up trading an AR PDW lower I was in for $850 for an ACOG/RMR combo, and traded that and a so on and ended up with almost $1900 cash in hand from those deals.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like the classic over payment via cashier's check and send the change when you ship.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sounds like the classic over payment via cashier's check and send the change when you ship.
View Quote
Yep....Overpayment Scam
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I just had one on armlist Friday.  Found a rifle listed below price.  That was first clue.

Sent a message saying I would buy that right now but were opposite ends of the state.  I told him the city Im in on the first message.  CCW holder, Ohio resident.

I get a reply send me your number so I can txt you. Ok???
Texts me, where are you?  Second clue.

Told him again, his reply was Im in Tn.  WTF? You ad is in Ohio?  Oh I was visiting family.  WTF you cant do that?  Then says I will ship to you.  No Thanks.

I reported the ad as a scam.  Its still up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're going to put stuff on Armslist be prepared for Nigerians to try and scam you.  Normally, if they're out of the area, it's a scam. I absolutely love messing with them. The last one was for some cheap scope. I told them the final shipped price was $5k. The fake check showed up at my office made out to the name I gave them. Jenna Tulls. It was hilarious hearing the receptionist going around asking "who the hell is Jenna Tulls?"
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#16]
you guys should search the web on people who have scammed the scammers(nigerians) its funny as hell
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I always tell them to send the check to the local FBI field office under the name of someone on there wanted list, let them waste there money sending a check to the feds.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Listen OP, they don't want the gun, this isn't a scam to get the gun... this is a scam to get you to send them the over payment.

The FFL on the other end will get a gun and have no clue who it's for or for what, but the buyer is more interested in the over payment return that you would send him.

Classic scam... it's never about the product.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm an amateur ATF agent in my spare time when I'm not working at the strip club. (Sarcasm, clearly)

View Quote
Yea that is the magic words for SCAM

Those that do not know this already ... learn it now
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 1:41:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Holy Sh@%   SCAM! Extremely Sketchy
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#21]
An inquiry  to my ad, which included a copy of a current FFL in Plano, TX:

Hello,

I am glad that you respond to my email, i am really interested in buying this arm, what is your bottom dollar? I am currently located in TEXAS at the moment, i would like to have the gun shipped. Do not worry about shipping fee as I will cover that.

I know that you might not be willing to ship due to past experience or no experience about shipping but do not stress yourself as I have an ffl you will be shipping to and like I said earlier I will pay for the shipping. I will be making payment through certified cashier check which won't take more than 24-48hrs to clear in your account which only after that you will shipping to my ffl. Send me the name and address where you want me to mail the check to.

Attached is my ffl signed copy

send me some pictures of the gun

Hope to read from you soon
Robertson

My response:

My ad was clear that I will not ship and I will not take any check due to fraud involving cashiers checks. Price is firm.  Where in Texas are you ? What home state of legal residency ? Your full name and phone number? I'll have to verify your info independently as well as the  FFL # with BATFE first. I doubt you'll provide this info so go scam someone else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top