Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2018 5:08:22 PM EDT
Was in LGS today and on the rack was a saddle ring 1894 Winchester in 30 WCF. The wood was rather plain jane Beech, but the Saddle Ring and Loading gate were gold and the receiver had an engraved decoration and was color-case hardened. Any ideas what I was looking at? Special edition?

Asking price was $650.00.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#1]
HereComemerative from the 70s? Look at the the serial number and you should be able to date it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Most stores will let you snap a photo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2018 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]
You have a post-64 Winchester Model 94 'Antique' carbine, made from 1964-83 - which, besides the engraving scrolling on the receiver sides & gold-colored loading gate/saddle-ring, has a coating that resembles case colors, but is in reality a special coating for that model only.  Nothing really special about it unless it's pristine condition and the wood is special (which the OP says it's not.)

Link Posted: 8/22/2018 9:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have a post-64 Winchester Model 94 'Antique' carbine, made from 1964-83 - which, besides the engraving scrolling on the receiver sides & gold-colored loading gate/saddle-ring, has a coating that resembles case colors, but is in reality a special coating for that model only.  Nothing really special about it unless it's pristine condition and the wood is special (which the OP says it's not.)

https://picturearchive.gunauction.com/504669/7815947/f0816f3302427011dce37debf9664121.jpg

https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/1074/989038184/wm_2366464.jpg
View Quote
That's what they had. The wood was in very good shape, along with the rest of the rifle, but had zero figuring and looked like beech.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I acquired one while in the US Army in Germany in 1968 for the grand sum of $35.  It shot ok but it was a typical '94 for the time, crummy trigger and floppy action.  Not very impressive to me.  I got it from another soldier who borrowed the money and used it as collateral.  When he decided not to pay me back, it was mine.  It was stored in the Arms Room along with the ammo and he had to sign them out to take it to the range to shoot.  The records showed he bought it new and fired it a total of 17 rds.  I'd say I got my money's worth!  I kept it until the late 80's when I needed cash for the family and sold it to a guy who really, really wanted it for $360.  However, I have to admit, it did look new without a mark on it, I had all the papers, and the box so he got a good deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top