Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2021 6:06:02 PM EDT
Anyone have one or considering buying one?  I think they look cool but I know nothing about them or if they require any addition hardware to install a M1A action?

https://www.sarcoinc.com/m14e2-rifle-stock-stripped/
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Tempting, but will need all of the hardware, and I'm not sure if that is widely available or for how much
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tempting, but will need all of the hardware, and I'm not sure if that is widely available or for how much
View Quote

What all hardware is needed? Their description says they will have "most" hardware available soon. I always thought those stocks were cool may have to get one.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What all hardware is needed?
View Quote
They utilize a standard stock liner (and maybe rear sling swivel edit:nope) but the other parts are all unique to that stock assembly.

They are cool, assuming you can get all the hardware.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What all hardware is needed? Their description says they will have "most" hardware available soon. I always thought those stocks were cool may have to get one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Long ago when I could not afford one, and a nice original one could be had for $250, I'd have been all over this and patiently gathered all of the necessary parts over the next decade if necessary.

The hard parts are going to be the butt pad/plate, hardware for those parts, the forward grip, and maybe the sling. The balance of the metal liner, liner bolts,forward sling mount and rivets, rear sling mount and front stock ferrule should all be standard M14.

Quick look around says the standard M14 components will add about $75 to the cost and you still don't have the butt pad/plate of forward grip. I suppose in a world where the originals are now $750 to the sky you can probably still assemble one for way less, but it will be a repro. If Sarco had ALL of the components in NOS or good repro and i could get it all @ $350ish I would order today.

I don't know if there are still any E2 compensators out there or not, real or repro but I'd want one. Word of warning here, an E2 compensator will carbon fuse itself to the flash hider in relatively short order and become one with it for all of eternity, but they DO work well.

M12E2 and BM59 MkIV Nigerian model are two of the sexiest guns ever built.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I have wondered for years why no one has made a polymer E2 stock.  That to me would make more sense.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The hard parts are going to be the butt pad/plate, hardware for those parts, the forward grip, and maybe the sling. The balance of the metal liner, liner bolts,forward sling mount and rivets, rear sling mount and front stock ferrule should all be standard M14.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
There are repro slings available. They're inexpensive.
Only the front stock ferrule and liner are the same as a regular M14 stock.

You can probably convert a standard rear sling swivel to the E2 version by drilling the hole larger, chopping off the top corners, and milling it thinner up top.

Attachment Attached File

Versus standard:
Attachment Attached File

I don't know if there are still any E2 compensators out there or not, real or repro but I'd want one. Word of warning here, an E2 compensator will carbon fuse itself to the flash hider in relatively short order and become one with it for all of eternity, but they DO work well.
Slather anti-seize onto the outside of the flash suppressor first.

If you aren't going for the historical look, Smith offers a "USCG brake" that's better.

M14E2 and BM59 MkIV Nigerian model are two of the sexiest guns ever built.
I agree they look great.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have wondered for years why no one has made a polymer E2 stock.  That to me would make more sense.
View Quote
For a 1:1 E2 stock clone, collectors want wood.
The E2 hardware has always been the challenging part.

E2 stocks without hardware rarely sell (real or repro).

If you're just looking for a full pistol grip stock, McMillan offered a synthetic pistol grip stock (folder), and Choate offered/offers? a polymer pistol grip stock (folder or M4).
Neither sold well.

Treeline offers this cheesy hardware kit, but again, poor seller.

Hopefully Sarco will offer a complete reproduction.
Until then, I doubt they'll get many sales.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 1:17:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

You’re not alone! I’m the middle 90s there was a guy In Texas that made one but the buttstock area  and pistol grip had the profile of an A2.  I never bought one and he only made them for a very short while. This was the closest thing I have seen.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

There was the McMillan M2A stock built for DMR M14’s, it’s already discontinued but available on the second hand market.

Link Posted: 7/12/2021 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I remember the Ken Hackathorn article on the RDF M14 in SOF magazine in the eighties. It used a modified E2 stock.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There was the McMillan M2A stock built for DMR M14's, it's already discontinued but available on the second hand market.
View Quote
Yep.

McMillan's other stock I mentioned was the MFS-14.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/12/2021 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I remember the Ken Hackathorn article on the RDF M14 in SOF magazine in the eighties. It used a modified E2 stock.
View Quote

I liked that. IIRC they put a G3 front sight on the gas block and an A2 flash suppressor... other than a more effective modern flash suppressor it'd be a good concept, even better with a modern material stock.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Scanned images thanks to drx on m14forum.

SoF July 1982 (Vol. 7, No. 7)
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/13/2021 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I liked that. IIRC they put a G3 front sight on the gas block and an A2 flash suppressor... other than a more effective modern flash suppressor it'd be a good concept, even better with a modern material stock.
View Quote

I believe the sight arrangement led to the hooded sight mod on the Smith Enterprises Mk14 Crazy Horse rifles.  The Crazy Horse also uses a Vortex flash hider with a suppressor direct connect.  You can buy the parts from SEI too, like the hooded sight gas lock.

Link Posted: 7/13/2021 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Yeah, that’s the article. If I remember correctly the group Combat Reform was a big advocate of the modification of existing M14 rifles to this configuration, they were also advocate of upgrading M60 tanks and M113 Armored PCs too.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#16]
If you don't wanna go correct for the front grip, you could glass in a more practical steel picatinny rail.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#17]
McMillan's other stock I mentioned was the MFS-14.
View Quote

I had one, after lusting after it for years. Sold it within a year or two since the balance of the rifle was utterly terrible with it on there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:41:51 PM EDT
[#18]
i have one since 2004. i love that gun

Quoted:

There was the McMillan M2A stock built for DMR M14’s, it’s already discontinued but available on the second hand market.

http://img.redwolfairsoft.com/upload/product/img/GP-AEG052FG-2L.jpg

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Unless they can make reasonably good repros of what made the E2 what is was it isn't worth chasing your tail.  I have a penchant for th E2 and ordered a factory Walnut
stock from SA in 1983. Those days are over but the stock cracked and I used the GI synthetics until I found Tony.
Tony Lawrence was a USAF armorer by trade and started making custom laminate stocks along with walnut and other wood types.
Top Top