Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2022 5:15:17 PM EDT
Gent’s,

Between these 2, which would you recommend? Looking for a dedicated 22lr plinking AR style rifle for practice (not interested in a 22lr conversion kit for my regular AR’s). Tired of shooting up my 5.56 reserves with prices still being outrageously inflated.

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
15-22 I have runs like a top.  More traditional controls / parts.  

Buddy has the HK.  Nice but it is bulky.   We put in a trigger kit on the HK and that was painful.  

I have an older Tac Sol upper that runs circles around both of them.    CMMG makes some nice uppers as well if you just want to push two pins.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I think one of the big questions is, can you find magazines for the HK?  Maybe maybe not.  The S&W is more likely to have magazines available or at least a shorter wait time to find some.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are trying to train for reps, do it with whatever gun you normally shoot. If you don't have a 416 in 5.56 I don't really see a reason to choose that option unless you're just looking for a fun gun.

The 15-22 is a great gun and can be heavily customized to your liking.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Just here to vote S&W
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Tippmann M4-22 and really like it. Something to consider.

I think they sell for around $550 retail. The Elite below has a forged aluminum lower, upper and handguard. Pretty quality piece.

https://tippmannarms.com/tippmann-arms-m4-22-elite-tactical-rifle/
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Build a dedicated upper, use lowers you already have
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#7]
My youngest has a 15-22. He loves it...he'll send a couple boxes of ammo down range before I even get his older brother through his first mag.

Easy on his fingers to reload, nice mags. Accurate enough, though the red-dot his came with requires the battery to be pulled or it drains itself.

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Neither.  Tippmann M4-22 instead.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just here to vote S&W
View Quote

THIS. I have a 15-22 pistol and it’s been great. My CMMG conversion unit has been idle since I got it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the pistol version of both.  Like the 15-22 more because it is easier to breakdown and clean.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Gotta go S&W on this one.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the feedback. Heading to my LGS this weekend to pick one up…depending on what they have in stock.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I had two HK's. A rifle and a pistol. They don't take aftermarket grips that well, the trigger assembly is a nightmare and the barrel is just a thin steel liner. They also require a weird adaptor to mount a can but it does come with it. If you just want to shoot it bone stock its ok. Mine both worked fine but I never really was that excited about them.

I sold them both and bought a Tippmann Arms M4-22 Elite Pistol that is better in every way. Easy to swap furniture and it takes regular AR triggers and safeties. I have a Larue and BAD ambi in mine. Also it has a real barrel that is threaded 1/2-28 so its easy to suppress. It is an all metal gun. I like it so much I did a Form 1 on it so it is a keeper.

I have owned Smiths a long time ago but I'm not up on their current version so I can't speak to them. After owning the Tippmann it is what I recommend to everyone.

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 2 of the S&W’s and they are awesome, will even run subsonic ammo with a can.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had two HK's. A rifle and a pistol. They don't take aftermarket grips that well, the trigger assembly is a nightmare and the barrel is just a thin steel liner. They also require a weird adaptor to mount a can but it does come with it. If you just want to shoot it bone stock its ok. Mine both worked fine but I never really was that excited about them.

I sold them both and bought a Tippmann Arms M4-22 Elite Pistol that is better in every way. Easy to swap furniture and it takes regular AR triggers and safeties. I have a Larue and BAD ambi in mine. Also it has a real barrel that is threaded 1/2-28 so its easy to suppress. It is an all metal gun. I like it so much I did a Form 1 on it so it is a keeper.

I have owned Smiths a long time ago but I'm not up on their current version so I can't speak to them. After owning the Tippmann it is what I recommend to everyone.

https://i.imgur.com/i6KX26Bl.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, I think the Tippman is as close to an actual AR as you can get. VERY accurate as well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Another thing to consider - by using a dedicated 22LR upper, you are using the stock (cheek weld), grip, safety & trigger of the gun you are practicing for.

If that isn't a major concern, I'd vote Tippman in 1st place, S&W in 2nd - and I don't care about third!

Have a good weekend.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the feedback. Heading to my LGS this weekend to pick one up…depending on what they have in stock.
View Quote

So, what did you wind up getting?
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ended up with the HK 416 and picked up some HK branded mags as well.

Hopefully, I’ll be hitting the range tomorrow or, Monday.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ended up with the HK 416 and picked up some HK branded mags as well.
https://i.imgur.com/xxOKilD.jpg

Hopefully, I’ll be hitting the range tomorrow or, Monday.
View Quote

Nice!! Happy shooting!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#20]
S&W all the way.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I looked and compared, settled with the S&W pistol and I love it.
Got 5 magazines and a Romeo5 on it and it is fun to shoot.
The magazines are robust and easy to clean if ever necessary.
As much as I love My 10/22 rifle, bullpup and take-down, the MP15 22 is a kick in the pants, lightweight and really accurate for a little rig.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top