Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2020 10:55:18 AM EDT
Hi All,

When I was younger I witnessed two different NGD's with levers.  Winchester and Marlin have added safeties to decrease the likelihood of this happening.  What about Henry's? How safe are they? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't own a lever gun with a saftey,  other than 1/2 cock .
Half cocked is safe and ambidextrous . And it is quick and silent,  a crossbolt type saftey is defiantly yea , NO !
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Henry centerfires use a transfer bar mechanism not dissimilar from most modern revolvers; if you aren't pulling the trigger, the tab to ensure that the hammer contacts the firing pin will not be in place, and the gun cannot discharge.

Seems plenty safe, if a little unusual.  

I don't remember if the rimfires have it, never paid Henry rimfires much mind.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wouldn't own a lever gun with a saftey,  other than 1/2 cock .
Half cocked is safe and ambidextrous . And it is quick and silent,  a crossbolt type saftey is defiantly yea , NO !
View Quote

This.

Oh and I've seen ND's from rifles WITH safeties also.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hi All,

When I was younger I witnessed two different NGD's with levers.  Winchester and Marlin have added safeties to decrease the likelihood of this happening.  What about Henry's? How safe are they? Thanks.
View Quote

A safety is a placebo.

The REAL safety is the monkey behind the sights. A safety on a weapon can not prevent a person’s negligence.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:49:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I can see where a levergun crossbolt safety can be beneficial during unloading although ugly.
Seems that is when the majority of NDs happen.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Henry's use a transfer bar; they recommend not leaving the hammer down on a loaded chamber but there's not really anything wrong with it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top