Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2024 9:18:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SGHinds]
Got a trade offer locally for a Saber Defence 2USA XXX Serial AUG A3/SA. Never held or shot an AUG but reading up seems these are pretty rare. Comes with 5 mags, holosun optic and original carry bag. Gun looks to be in great shape from the photos he sent. Wondering if there was anything I need to look out for. Barrel is marked 223 Rem 1:9 , would this handle 5.56? Read the 223 designation was more for legal verbiage and it should be okay to handle 5.56 pressures etc.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:11:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kwb377] [#1]
Originally Posted By SGHinds:

Go for it?
View Quote

Nothing wrong with that AUG configuration...but it depends on what you're considering trading.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
FO.  FO NOW.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Got a trade offer locally for a Saber Defence 2USA XXX Serial AUG A3/SA. Never held or shot an AUG but reading up seems these are pretty rare. Comes with 5 mags, holosun optic and original carry bag. Gun looks to be in great shape from the photos he sent. Wondering if there was anything I need to look out for. Barrel is marked 223 Rem 1:9 , would this handle 5.56? Read the 223 designation was more for legal verbiage and it should be okay to handle 5.56 pressures etc.
View Quote
grab it!
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kwb377:

Nothing wrong with that AUG configuration...but it depends on what you're considering trading.
View Quote

Trading music gear I don't use.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 3:59:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#5]

1/9 is a great twist.   It will handle 5.56 with aplomb.  Now...you must:

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 4:18:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Karankawa] [#6]
Sabre defense was run by a dude that dngaf about international weapons laws. The euro feds were so scared of him they blew up his armored car with grenades just in case he was in it.

That barrel is probably the best 16” ever in the Steyr. Chrome lined even. Mine is sub MOA with Izzy 77 gr

How could you even ask for a better deal on a cool gun?

ETA the barrel is just fine for 5.56.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#7]
@SGHinds:

Dids't thou FO?

Inquiring minds

Want to know.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#8]
It seems like the Sabre guns had forged receivers instead of milled from billet or cast.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:18:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SGHinds] [#9]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:

Dids't thou FO?

Inquiring minds

Want to know.

View Quote

Yes! Met him this morning and the rifle is in excellent shape. Magpul flip up sights, holosun red dot, 3 MSAR 10rd, 1 MSAR 20rd and 2 Steyr 3rd mags plus the original carry bag.

Can’t post photos from my phone but will try and upload some tomorrow if I get some time.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:39:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#10]

Yes! Met him this morning and the rifle is in excellent shape. Magpul flip up sights, holosun red dot, 3 MSAR 10rd, 1 MSAR 20rd and 2 Steyr 3rd mags plus the original carry bag.

Can't post photos from my phone but will try and upload some tomorrow if I get some time.

View Quote
Awesome! Can't wait to see it!
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:52:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SGHinds] [#11]
. https://ibb.co/3fNy7G3

Here she is

ETA. Well thought it would go. Posted link since the img tags aren’t working for me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#12]
https://ibb.co/3fNy7G3. https://ibb.co/3fNy7G3

Here she is

ETA. Well thought it would go. Posted link since the img tags aren't working for me.
View Quote
Dude.  As an A3M1 owner (not happily ) I gotta tell ya....I am JELLLLLYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!  Love it!

It's also a travesty that Steyr doesn't make 20 round AUG mags.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#13]
OP:  Hope you don't mind.  I posted your AUG for you:

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for posting and the kind words. I’ve had quite a lot of offers for my amplifier that I had up for sale/trade and nothing ever caught my attention. He offered me the AUG. I was doing some research on them and noticed the stock issues etc with the newer ones. Asked for some more photos of his and saw the Saber Defence and the serial number and got excited.

Glad the deal went through.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:27:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks great. I love the A3. I only wish I'd bought 2 back before the switch the the M1.

Old pic. :)
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for posting and the kind words. I've had quite a lot of offers for my amplifier that I had up for sale/trade and nothing ever caught my attention. He offered me the AUG. I was doing some research on them and noticed the stock issues etc with the newer ones. Asked for some more photos of his and saw the Saber Defence and the serial number and got excited.

Glad the deal went through.
View Quote
Me, too!  You got a KILLER setup, there!!!!  I love it!
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Jack_Flag:
Looks great. I love the A3. I only wish I'd bought 2 back before the switch the the M1.

https://i.imgur.com/Ne3jtOS.jpg

Old pic. :)
View Quote
Amen to THAT!
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Sweet! Those MSAR 20s are great for shooting prone.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:04:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#19]
Originally Posted By texasyid:
It seems like the Sabre guns had forged receivers instead of milled from billet or cast.
View Quote
Sabre's receivers were all milled from billet.

Nobody has done forged AUG receivers AFAIK.
Some people say billet receivers are forged, but that's not really true, even if the billet was forged (and not all billets are).

That's an awesome rifle OP! You'll love it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Sabre's receivers were all milled from billet.

Nobody has done forged AUG receivers AFAIK.
Some people say billet receivers are forged, but that's not really true, even if the billet was forged (and not all billets are).
View Quote

I thought so too but read that they were forged from a reliable source. This was before Vltor took over.  I had one of the first ones made my Nephew has it now. I was on a list for a year waiting for them to come out.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#21]
All of the A3 SA receivers from Sabre and Vltor were forged aluminum. Sabre/Vltor simply did all the machining, anodizing, and laser work on the forgings. For a few years all A3 M1 receivers were forged as well. The shift back to cast receivers in the USA began in 2018.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrats!

The A3 SA is so much better and nicer than the A3 M1 and the QC is better, the barrels are better, etc.

the Saber is the nicer and more rare of the A3 SA.

The 20rd and the 10rd mags in the pic are MSAR.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TSH77769:
Congrats!

The A3 SA is so much better and nicer than the A3 M1 and the QC is better, the barrels are better, etc.

the Saber is the nicer and more rare of the A3 SA.

The 20rd and the 10rd mags in the pic are MSAR.
View Quote
As an A3M1 owner...I totally agree.  What I would love is for someone REPUTABLE who could do an M1 to A3 conversion.  I REALLLLLLY hate the receiver hump.  My eyes are getting older as I get older and I have the longest rail on my M1 that I could get.  Still too short by at least 2 inches.  Shit.  No one will ever take that wrong...oh, no.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 1:42:57 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Have to disagree about the barrel Sabre button rifled barrels. M1 hammer forged. QC about the same. Personal obversation having owned both.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By texasyid:
Have to disagree about the barrel Sabre button rifled barrels. M1 hammer forged. QC about the same. Personal obversation having owned both.
View Quote
The Sabre is chrome lined though, so it should last (maintain precision) much longer. Having owned both, I'd give the nod to the Sabre.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Button rifled kills it for me. My STG77 40th shoots better than my Sabre  A3 ever did with my spare 16" A3M1 barrel.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Pull the trigger
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll pay good money for that top rail! I've been looking for one of those for the better part of a decade. I'd even pay to rent it from you to get scans of it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By KrazyL:
I'll pay good money for that top rail! I've been looking for one of those for the better part of a decade. I'd even pay to rent it from you to get scans of it.
View Quote

Let me see what it would take to get the rail off. This is my first AUG so dont know much about the disassembly. Wouldn't want to sell it, but might consider letting you get scans of it (not sure how that works).
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Let me see what it would take to get the rail off. This is my first AUG so dont know much about the disassembly. Wouldn't want to sell it, but might consider letting you get scans of it (not sure how that works).
View Quote

Absolutely! Again, I'd happily pay you for just letting me get scans of it. Those rails are rare as hens teeth.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
The Sabre is chrome lined though, so it should last (maintain precision) much longer. Having owned both, I'd give the nod to the Sabre.
View Quote

Personally I'd prefer a well made CHF barrel with CL. Done properly they are accurate and long lasting. But the CL is a whole other layer on the steel and can be botched, applied unevenly, etc. Melonite CHF "should" be as accurate or better than CL but maybe not last as long on F/A.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top