BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 74
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By trapsh00ter99:
From the photos I see, looks like the stock when folded blocks the ejection port?
View Quote
IME it ejects spent cases with the HBi brace folded.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
I’m thinking about slapping an AFG on it and seeing where my hand positions. But that was my thought process as well, with the partial refund the HBI upgrade is covered should I choose to go that direction. And if I do that I can upgrade the CH with their ambition model at the same time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jmanuso2096:

525, you did good on that sale. Even if you get the no recip kit from HB you are under the cost of the new import.
I’m thinking about slapping an AFG on it and seeing where my hand positions. But that was my thought process as well, with the partial refund the HBI upgrade is covered should I choose to go that direction. And if I do that I can upgrade the CH with their ambition model at the same time.
The Magpul AFG does a good job of keeping the your thumb out of the way.  I didn't have any issues with this set-up.

Link Posted: 5/29/2019 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By N_Parker:
The Magpul AFG does a good job of keeping the your thumb out of the way.  I didn't have any issues with this set-up.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/rA8c5u.jpg
View All Quotes

525, you did good on that sale. Even if you get the no recip kit from HB you are under the cost of the new import.

Custom Smith MFG makes one for the stribog. I have it on mine.

Link Posted: 5/30/2019 1:20:33 AM EDT
[#4]

View Quote
I found the Afg to make it awkwardly thick and I have huge hands. I think a low profile L shaped hand stop on the end plus some grippy rail covers on the bottom would be ideal if I didn’t sbr mine and use a stubby bcm vert grip. I still might pick up a hand stop though.  Also the bcm mlok covers are excellent for sides you are gripping. I just need to find a similar texture for picatinny covers now.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 5:11:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out this Instagram post

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByAs2zfFjdQ/

Link Posted: 5/30/2019 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
How is the Stribog for a suppressor host?
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:
How is the Stribog for a suppressor host?
View Quote
Good as any.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 8:40:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By chucku:

Good as any.
View Quote
Thanks. I think this is the route I will go.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks. I think this is the route I will go.
View Quote
Check GB gun’s vid on suppressed ammo testing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MMSBgNs5hng
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:43:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jmanuso2096] [#11]
Decided to try my hand at modeling and 3D printing. Modeled some stribog high rise sights using my prototype set and the factory grand power polymer sights for dimensions. Going to have them 3d printed in nylon and see how they function. They should be close to AR height and cowitness with a red dot on a riser.

Link Posted: 5/31/2019 5:54:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By kpel308:
I love it.  Shows a prototype receiver in the white, not even fully machined yet, and one of the first posts is how they want it to use their favorite expensive mag, when Stribog mags are 25 bucks and are in a product improvement stage. SMH.
View Quote
I know right. I would love one that sticks with the stribog magazines.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 7:04:21 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
I would love to see captive pins as well on this one
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MAKAK47:
View All Quotes
They are captive...well, s'posed to be, anyway.  It takes less force to yank them entirely out of the gun (and lose the spring clip) than it does to get them started out of the first detent groove.

Just curious; are everybody's pins super tight?  It looks like the same (round) hole size was used for all the layers that are pinned together, and the alignment stacking makes for an interference fit (about .007" on the gun I looked at).  If everyone's pins are tight, that means an undersized pin might make things far nicer, otherwise the only option is to ream the stacked holes to the proper diameter for the factory pin.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By barnbwt:

They are captive...well, s'posed to be, anyway.  It takes less force to yank them entirely out of the gun (and lose the spring clip) than it does to get them started out of the first detent groove.

Just curious; are everybody's pins super tight?  It looks like the same (round) hole size was used for all the layers that are pinned together, and the alignment stacking makes for an interference fit (about .007" on the gun I looked at).  If everyone's pins are tight, that means an undersized pin might make things far nicer, otherwise the only option is to ream the stacked holes to the proper diameter for the factory pin.
View Quote
I’m talking real captive pins like on an AR, not some dinky pins holding it in place, that’s my biggest gripe

And as to tightness... my disassembly kit is a punch pin and a rubber mallet
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Decided to try my hand at modeling and 3D printing. Modeled some stribog high rise sights using my prototype set and the factory grand power polymer sights for dimensions. Going to have them 3d printed in nylon and see how they function. They should be close to AR height and cowitness with a red dot on a riser.

https://i.imgur.com/NqoMzTf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5Ps5evn.jpg
View Quote
Those look nice. How long until you do your first prototype?
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m talking real captive pins like on an AR, not some dinky pins holding it in place, that’s my biggest gripe

View All Quotes

If you design them right, they're plenty captive; the M249 uses the exact same system (without the added fanciness of the front pins, which can only be knocked out easy-ish when the lower is hinged open).  The problem with the 'bog is the capture groove is about half as deep as the detent groove, and sloped the wrong way so as to make it easy to slip out of the gun.  The wire-clip retention is rinky-dink & not my favorite system, but it can work if put together properly.  There's no reason it shouldn't work better in the 'bog than it does.

I, too, have to field strip this gun the Russian way...
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Those look nice. How long until you do your first prototype?
View Quote
I ordered a set from the 3d printing service. Should be here in about a week and a half. Going to see how they feel and shoot. Then make any mods if needed.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
Yep, the pin is tight as hell.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes

I pulled out my pin retainers and bent them a tad to reduce the tension on the pins.  When Eagle Imports was selling parts they had "1st Design" pin retainers for sale which look just like B&T retainers.  I bought a couple sets but never bother to install them.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Is the charging handle able to be moved to either side like on a SCAR?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By detacbob:
Is the charging handle able to be moved to either side like on a SCAR?
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#24]
With my ar15 tube back plate, it certainly requires more than finger power to get the rear pin in and out. With the standard one and the HBI, I can generally do it with my fingers or use a bullet etc to get it started. The problem is, once you go banging on it, you usually blow right past the retainer. I am hoping they switch to ar15 style retaining take down pins with the new lowers. But not where the rear spring goes flying if you take off the rear plate....that design aspect of the ar platform has always annoyed me (along with losing the selector detent with the pistol grip removal. Maybe just use grub screws.

As for the mags. I hope they stick with the Stribog design. They’re a nice angle for the gun and feed pretty well (although I’ve seen some people have issues when resting the gun on the mag to fire, maybe feed lips flexing). Hopefully magpul will pay some attention to the platform and give us some nice polymer mags.  I’m not the biggest fan of the current mag material, especially without metal lips.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Metal reinforced mags are on the way
Link Posted: 6/3/2019 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Can someone give a calipered measurement of the polymer charging handle shuttle on the stribog?

I need the total length.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 2:44:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jmanuso2096] [#27]
For anyone interested in purchasing a KES stock/brace from Safety Harbor Firearms(SHF). I received my brace this past Friday. Both extension rod had a slight upward curve. With the stock fully extended it was evident that the brace end was curving up. I also placed a steel straight edge on the rods to confirm curvature. I contacted SHF and they promptly sent out another brace which exhibited the same curve in the rods. I contacted SHF once more and was told that most likely something happened during the nitriding that caused the curvature in the rods and after checking their current stock they could not guarantee me a straight sample. I find curved rods unacceptable on an item of this price, so I returned the brace for a refund.

I want to make clear my reason for this post is not to bash SHF. In fact I applaud them for their honesty and stellar customer service. I just want individuals interested in purchasing the KES for the stribog to know that the rods or most likely going to be slightly curved in this batch. It does not impede function, but in my opinion straight is how they should be. If you are like me and find this unacceptable I would refrain from purchasing one, find another option, or wait for them to produce a second batch. I hope this will save some people time and tying up a couple hundred bucks for a few weeks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Can someone give a calipered measurement of the polymer charging handle shuttle on the stribog?

I need the total length.

Thanks
View Quote
Anyone?
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone at least have a picture of the new non-reciprocating handle parts?  I'm kind of curious just how different it is from the HBI approach, and whether all these after-market charging handles will still fit.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#30]
For anyone interested in purchasing a KES stock/brace from Safety Harbor Firearms(SHF). I received my brace this past Friday. Both extension rod had a slight upward curve. With the stock fully extended it was evident that the brace end was curving up. I also placed a steel straight edge on the rods to confirm curvature. I contacted SHF and they promptly sent out another brace which exhibited the same curve in the rods. I contacted SHF once more and was told that most likely something happened during the nitriding that caused the curvature in the rods and after checking their current stock they could not guarantee me a straight sample. I find curved rods unacceptable on an item of this price, so I returned the brace for a refund.

I want to make clear my reason for this post is not to bash SHF. In fact I applaud them for their honesty and stellar customer service. I just want individuals interested in purchasing the KES for the stribog to know that the rods or most likely going to be slightly curved in this batch. It does not impede function, but in my opinion straight is how they should be. If you are like me and find this unacceptable I would refrain from purchasing one, find another option, or wait for them to produce a second batch. I hope this will save some people time and tying up a couple hundred bucks for a few weeks.
View Quote
That's unfortunate, but not particularly surprising.  Nitride is such a high temperature process (~1000F) that most steels will warp at that long/skinny an aspect ratio; you'd need more expensive stress-relieved drawn rod (which is overkill for this application, except for the warp prevention).  Nitride is just so economical & effective at making hard, slippery, and black-colored parts that it's still tops for this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 11:43:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kpel308] [#31]
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#32]

That's unfortunate, but not particularly surprising.  Nitride is such a high temperature process (~1000F) that most steels will warp at that long/skinny an aspect ratio; you'd need more expensive stress-relieved drawn rod (which is overkill for this application, except for the warp prevention).  Nitride is just so economical & effective at making hard, slippery, and black-colored parts that it's still tops for this sort of thing.
View Quote
If nitriding is done at such a hot temperature, when do you heat treat the parts. 1000F would certainly affect temper.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#33]
That's awesome

Our Eastern European friend as finished his torture test of the Stribog.  After 15,000 rounds in 30 days, he had 1 misfire (ammo related) and 1 other malfunction (not specified).  He would oil the rails every 500 rounds.  He has now cleaned the beast.  Here is what it looked like before cleaning at the end of the test:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1232/61854886_2302996073077286_8111704148392542208_o-969533.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1232/62186606_2302996183077275_3440313656439472128_o-969534.jpg

Here are Pavel's words:

15 thousand in month.
Just unboxing and shoot.
Oiling every 500 shot.
4 IPSC competitions
Only reloading ammo 124FMJ
One misfire.
One malfunction.
Now I'll clean it because every training I'm to dirty 😂
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 3:37:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jmanuso2096] [#34]

View Quote
Just received my refund from Safety Harbor Firearms. I think I am going to put an ACR stock/brace on my stribog since the KES did not work out. Dan Haga Designs has an adapter not to far out. Going to get it 3D printed in nylon 12.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I love it.  Shows a prototype receiver in the white, not even fully machined yet, and one of the first posts is how they want it to use their favorite expensive mag, when Stribog mags are 25 bucks and are in a product improvement stage. SMH.
View Quote
There are people that have more money invested in mags than a Striborg costs. Some of those people also have had laws in their states change where they cannot purchase new high-cap mags. Some people do not like polymer mags for long-term use.

I was that poster, all 3 statements apply to me, having invested heavily in Colt, MP5 and B&T mags I do not want to invest in another, not to mention my state's new laws have prohibited that anyways. I have also seen poly PCC mags fail and would rather more readily available and durable mags (which i happen to have a ton of)
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By eternal24k:
There are people that have more money invested in mags than a Striborg costs. Some of those people also have had laws in their states change where they cannot purchase new high-cap mags. Some people do not like polymer mags for long-term use.

I was that poster, all 3 statements apply to me, having invested heavily in Colt, MP5 and B&T mags I do not want to invest in another, not to mention my state's new laws have prohibited that anyways. I have also seen poly PCC mags fail and would rather more readily available and durable mags (which i happen to have a ton of)
View All Quotes

I still think it's a missed opportunity that they didn't pattern their mag dimensions off the Steyr/B&T.  They are so similar already, essentially identical in form/function, and it would have meant a far more affordable secondary source of B&T mags.  My position is that the subgun world needs to standardize around one large 30-40rnd curved mag for mag-forward applications, and one 20rnd-30 straight mag for shorter through-grip applications (both dual-position feed polymer).  B&T has a solid lead already, but if the Stribog takes off and GP is able to scale production to meet what is sure to be solid demand in the face of a rather dismal and stagnant gun market, maybe we'll be seeing Magpul Stribog mags in another five years.  People seem to forget how recent (2009) the Scorpion's meteoric rise was, and the Stribog seems to be following that trajectory so far.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Cool.  You're in a bad situation, and I can empathize.  There may be aftermarket lowers coming to help you with that.  But he is in the in-the-white prototype stage, not the adapt-basic-design-to-accommodate-every-mag-possible stage.  He's just one step beyond paper.
View All Quotes

Cool.  You're in a bad situation, and I can empathize.  There may be aftermarket lowers coming to help you with that.  But he is in the in-the-white prototype stage, not the adapt-basic-design-to-accommodate-every-mag-possible stage.  He's just one step beyond paper.
*pssst - modular lower with swappable magwells  
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#42]
B&T is an excellent outfit, and they make great stuff.  Jaro's stuff is pretty damned good for the money you pay in comparison, and meets the same needs.  The Stribog was developed independently of B&T, although they look similar.  Making it to use B&T's mags, though, might be seen as copyright or patent infringement.  Remember, he is operating under EU law, and they take a VERY dim view of things like that.  I am not a European lawyer, nor have I talked to GP's general counsel, but I would be leary of that if I was him.
View All Quotes

I still think it's a missed opportunity that they didn't pattern their mag dimensions off the Steyr/B&T.  They are so similar already, essentially identical in form/function, and it would have meant a far more affordable secondary source of B&T mags.  My position is that the subgun world needs to standardize around one large 30-40rnd curved mag for mag-forward applications, and one 20rnd-30 straight mag for shorter through-grip applications (both dual-position feed polymer).  B&T has a solid lead already, but if the Stribog takes off and GP is able to scale production to meet what is sure to be solid demand in the face of a rather dismal and stagnant gun market, maybe we'll be seeing Magpul Stribog mags in another five years.  People seem to forget how recent (2009) the Scorpion's meteoric rise was, and the Stribog seems to be following that trajectory so far.
B&T is an excellent outfit, and they make great stuff.  Jaro's stuff is pretty damned good for the money you pay in comparison, and meets the same needs.  The Stribog was developed independently of B&T, although they look similar.  Making it to use B&T's mags, though, might be seen as copyright or patent infringement.  Remember, he is operating under EU law, and they take a VERY dim view of things like that.  I am not a European lawyer, nor have I talked to GP's general counsel, but I would be leary of that if I was him.
Mag infringement is a thing?  Lord a mercy, that's sad if the true.

I figured it was merely a parallel-development thing; I imagine years back when he was designing the mag, that B&T was twinkle in Brugger and/or Thomet's eye and the TMP had been dead for 20 years ;)
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I am going to just apologize if I offended anyone on this.  Not my intention at all.  I'm just a bit frustrated that no matter how hard my friend tries to make a decent product, someone always has a complaint that he's not making it THEIR way.  I re-read some of my comments, and understand where I came off as a bit of an ass.  I'll try to do better in the future.  I don't have any monetary investment or anything to gain by GP doing well, it's just that he's my friend and I'm emotionally invested in not only the product, but his success and well-being.  Thanks.
View Quote
Chill bro, it’s all good

Has Jaro thought about starting some production in the US?  Grand Power USA?  Or using a 3rd party vendor to supply roller delay parts and assemble the SP9A3 here?

Just a thought
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 10:45:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eternal24k] [#46]
I am going to just apologize if I offended anyone on this.  Not my intention at all.  I'm just a bit frustrated that no matter how hard my friend tries to make a decent product, someone always has a complaint that he's not making it THEIR way.  I re-read some of my comments, and understand where I came off as a bit of an ass.  I'll try to do better in the future.  I don't have any monetary investment or anything to gain by GP doing well, it's just that he's my friend and I'm emotionally invested in not only the product, but his success and well-being.  Thanks.
View Quote
you need to relax and realize that a request from a customer is not a complaint, it is literally an opportunity for the supplier to hear what someone in the market wants. In a capitalist society where matching supply and demand = success, it's a good thing. If they did not want to sense the market, they would not be on social media.

I wonder how many products you enjoy are the evolution of customer/market feedback? So relax and enjoy the possibility of product being able to evolve.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#47]

you need to relax and realize that a request from a customer is not a complaint, it is literally an opportunity for the supplier to hear what someone in the market wants. In a capitalist society where matching supply and demand = success, it's a good thing. If they did not want to sense the market, they would not be on social media.

I wonder how many products you enjoy are the evolution of customer/market feedback? So relax and enjoy the possibility of product being able to evolve.
View Quote
This!

Getting customer feedback means there is interest and people will buy more if there’s more options

But people who poo-poo the product because they don’t like the looks or something about it are just retarded
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 1:05:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Anyone know who makes this Tailhook Mod 1 side folder for a 1913 rail?

Link Posted: 6/6/2019 2:25:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bobbybananas] [#49]
Anyone know who makes this Tailhook Mod 1 side folder for a 1913 rail?

https://i.imgur.com/3aGBSGD.jpg
View Quote
I think that’s a sig. if it doesn’t support the tailhook by default, then they used an adapter like from here. https://customsmithmfg.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fsig-mcxmpxrattler-brace-to-tailhook-adapter&page=3

Edit. That might be the one from sb tactical https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/fs1913/
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Chill bro, it’s all good

Has Jaro thought about starting some production in the US?  Grand Power USA?  Or using a 3rd party vendor to supply roller delay parts and assemble the SP9A3 here?

Just a thought
View All Quotes
Chill bro, it’s all good

Just a thought
Man, that's gotta be a whole other pile of bullshit --kpel's right, Jaro's got plenty on his plate already.  My comment was a suggestion equally to him as well as "the aftermarket."

Nice thing about the 'bog; it's so completely modular I think there is room to make upgraded replacements for almost every single part...without hurting sales of the original.
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top