Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2019 9:37:32 PM EDT
Anyone else having issues running hollow points or flat nosed projectiles thru their Stribog? .  Spent the afternoon in the desert putting my Stribog thru it's paces.  This was the first time trying hollow points and it didn't go well.   I have access to Hornady 115gr, 124 gr HST and 147gr HST hollow points, Could not get thru an entire magazine of any of the various weights without jamming.  The weapon charges fine (never saw a jam on the initial bolt drop) but the next round loaded tends to jam nose up.  Best way to clear the malfunction was to lock the bolt back and pull the magazine.  About half the time the when the magazine is pulled out the remaining rounds cascade up and out of the magazine and onto the ground.  I have tried downloading the magazines with 5, 10 and 20 rounds but the jams still occur.  I am using the 3 original 30 round magazines that came with my pistol as well as 4 others I purchased recently.  Out of curiosity I pulled some 124gr RMR flat nosed rounds from my CZ mags, the Stribog didn't like those either, same nose up jams following the initial charge.

I switched back to ball and the gun ran like a sewing machine again. I have approx 4-500 rounds of round nose projectiles thru the pistol so far and can't remember a single jam.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 9:09:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the same problem with 147 grain American Eagle Flat nose. Every couple rounds.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Same problem today with Remington Golden Saber 124 gr. BJHP.  My Grand Power P1 eats them like candy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought every brand of subsonic ammo and every type of bullet to test the Stribog and a Walther P99AS.  Both suppressed guns.  Both functioned perfect and poi was spot on for ALL ammo types in these weapons.   Over 2 k without a malfunction in either gun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I've experience nearly the exact same behavior with a variety of hollow points and flat nose ammo in combination with every magazine I have (3 total):

Speer Gold Dot 124gr
Federal HST 124gr & 147gr
Winchester Ranger Bonded JHP 147gr

Speer TMJ Flat Nose 147gr

I originally experienced the same behavior (albeit fewer failures) with some round nose fmj from Freedom, but dismissed it as part of the break in period or possibly a batch of under powered rounds. This was before a thorough cleaning and using the above mentioned higher powered rounds on a separate range trip, which unfortunately behaved the same as well.

I can get about two to four HP rounds downrange, then a FTF pretty consistently.

I received my Stribog Gen 2 with 3 mags on 09/18/2019.

I wonder if it's an issue with the latest Gen 2's or possibly the batch of magazines that are being shipped with them.  Regardless, definitely not serviceable as an SD/HD platform in its current state.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Anybody have pics of their jams?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 1:58:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Here are a few of my malfunctions:

Any thoughts on source of problem? Feed Ramp or Magazines or possibly something else?
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Great pics.  This is the same FTF I have experienced.  I received mine 9/4/19.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad you posted this. I asked on the stribog Facebook group if how it ran hollow points and didn't get much response there.

I'm trying to push my brother to a stribog since it was pretty economical and had good reviews, on the condition it ran HSTs, Gold Dots, and subs pretty well.

Now that this thread has popped up I'm reconsidering.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't get pictures of my jams, too much stuff to get thru on that trip. I contacted the importer late last week. The person I spoke to said they would polish the feedramps if I sent it the pistol back or I could do it myself.  A metal polish on a fabric wheel was recommended as you don't want to remove material. My pistol had no polishing done on any of the surfaces around the chamber from the factory fwiw.  I dug out some of the jammed rounds that ended up in the brass bucket, all show indents at 9 and 3 o'clock  so they were hitting an edge when feeding. Polishing should help, hope to test this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/28/2019 10:34:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Seems odd why some are having issues and others are not, almost sounds like a bad batch of magazines
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Not really surprised some are having success. Mine will chew thru round nose projectiles with no issues.  Most hollow points are close to a buck a round, gets kinda spendy filling 30 round mags. I imagine most people are buying these as range toys and feeding it the cheapest 9mm available.  Nothing wrong with that.

Would like to get mine to run 147gr hst's so it could fill a suppressed role. Not looking promising. Polishing the edges around the chamber and feed ramps did nothing to help feeding. Still racked 1st round in fine, then jams after that. Going to try polishing the bolt face next. All the rounds jammed with the nose up an the case rim nowhere near the extractor pocket. If that doesn't  work this thing is getting demoted to range toy status. Was hoping it could replace my CZ Scorpion.  The GP has better ergonomics and controls IMO but I have no faith it`ll go bang with self defense ammo.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 7:01:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not really surprised some are having success. Mine will chew thru round nose projectiles with no issues.  Most hollow points are close to a buck a round, gets kinda spendy filling 30 round mags. I imagine most people are buying these as range toys and feeding it the cheapest 9mm available.  Nothing wrong with that.

Would like to get mine to run 147gr hst's so it could fill a suppressed role. Not looking promising. Polishing the edges around the chamber and feed ramps did nothing to help feeding. Still racked 1st round in fine, then jams after that. Going to try polishing the bolt face next. All the rounds jammed with the nose up an the case rim nowhere near the extractor pocket. If that doesn't  work this thing is getting demoted to range toy status. Was hoping it could replace my CZ Scorpion.  The GP has better ergonomics and controls IMO but I have no faith it`ll go bang with self defense ammo.
View Quote
Check out a different JHP profile, like the Federal 9BPLE +P.  My 5.3" CZ Scorpion would choke at other JHPs including Hornady Critical Defense but once I found this 9BPLE, which has similar nose profile as FMJ bullet, problem solved.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 8:45:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Check out a different JHP profile, like the Federal 9BPLE +P.  My 5.3" CZ Scorpion would choke at other JHPs including Hornady Critical Defense but once I found this 9BPLE, which has similar nose profile as FMJ bullet, problem solved.
View Quote
My Stribog chokes on those as well. Was pretty surprised as they are very rounded and close to an FMJ.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 11/6/2019 7:45:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My Stribog chokes on those as well. Was pretty surprised as they are very rounded and close to an FMJ.
View Quote
Oh wow! I thought the 9BP profile would have solved the issue, apparently not for all 9mm carbine.  Sorry I can't be of any help but would love to hear how the problem gets resolved when you do.

ETA - I thought maybe it is the magazine but re-read your original post, and you had zero issue with FMJs so it can't be the mags.  Something must be there to stop the JHP nose from smoothly entering the chamber.  Either the factory feed angle (can't do much about it) or chamber entrance edge (maybe a tiny bit of radius would help but that certainly void the warranty.  I don't have problem doing this to mine since headspacing is done at the other end of the chamber but wouldn't recommend it.)
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 11:42:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like we're not the only ones experiencing these problems anymore.  It's gone mainstream with these malfunctions being captured quite extensively in MAC's new video:

https://youtu.be/gdQWwzwtH1c

Hope this prompts Global Ordinance and/or the manufacturer to investigate and provide some kind of remedy/response soon.

Right now, I couldn't even sell this thing in good conscience.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Polished bolt face did nothing to help HP or FN ammo,  round nose FMJ still runs great. Starting to think it is a mag issue. The round retention isn't very good to begin with. When loading them it is really easy to get a round in crooked and when removing it you end up getting a few more popping out of the mag like in Mac's  video. I saw two instances while trying to get HST hollow points to run where the first round jammed up and it seemed like the next round was crooked. Wish I had a high speed camera to confirm.

Fwiw my pistol bolt has two guide rods and a two piece rubber buffer. Serial K074xxx
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone ever come up with a solution to the problem of failure to feed using hollow point ammo?  My Stribog is one with the single rod recoil spring assembly.  My spring is the heavier larger "+P+" spring that appears to have been shortened.  It feeds FMJ RN perfectly but get nose up failure to feed with every type of hollow point I've tried.  Hornady XTP and Montana Gold HP's are terrible with about 80% failure rate, Federal HST about 80% feed fine same with Remington Golden Saber.  The Federal and Remington have a longer over all length than the Hornady and Montana Gold.

All of the ammo will feed fine when manually working the action but under live fire I get the failure to feeds.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Glad I did a search about the Stribog on ARF before buying!
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ya what’s a bummer is quite a few people’s guns run 100% no issues and it makes me glad I got one, they need to iron out these ‘Gen 2’ issues that weren’t problems on the Gen 1
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 1:54:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
@criley, I got my Stribog back in spring 2019. Zero issues running personal defense 9mm ammo out of it. Runs great.

Eric (Iraqveteran8888) ran Gold Dots, Federal HST and Federal JHP 9MS out of his Stribog on his review. He didn't have any issues when he ran those hollow points. Gold Dots and Federal HST are the same rounds I have ran through mine with zero issues (only personal defense 9mm I stack).

It starts at 8:30.

I have zero problems recommending this gun to friends. Already had 2 buddies buy one based on my recommendation and they couldn't be happier with their purchase. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I mean, FWIW MP5’s have issues running HP ammo as well :)
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@criley, I got my Stribog back in spring 2019. Zero issues running personal defense 9mm ammo out of it. Runs great.

Eric (Iraqveteran8888) ran Gold Dots, Federal HST and Federal JHP 9MS out of his Stribog on his review. He didn't have any issues when he ran those hollow points. Gold Dots and Federal HST are the same rounds I have ran through mine with zero issues (only personal defense 9mm I stack).

It starts at 8:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkOt-fDvTlg

I have zero problems recommending this gun to friends. Already had 2 buddies buy one based on my recommendation and they couldn't be happier with their purchase. YMMV.
View Quote
Yours is GTG with 147g HSTs?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I mean, FWIW MP5’s have issues running HP ammo as well :)
View Quote
Well the mp5 is a 60 year old platform. That said mine functions reliably with HK mags with all HP ammo suppressed/unsuppressed. Using MKE mags i get a fail to feed with 147 gr flat nose on the last round in every mag
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#25]
I noticed in the IV8888 video his S/N was in the G-range.  I liked the Stribog so much that I bought two but they both have issues with the 147 AE flat nose, suppressed and unsuppressed.  Both are K- S/N, old guide rod system, spring/mid 2019 purchase.  I don't have any issue hand cycling these rounds in either gun though.   Haven't had the time to try them with other types of ammo defensive/flat nose yet.  Prior to buying my second I had several hundred rounds of 115gr various types so I based my experience from that.  Started getting into suppressors last year so I bought heavier grain bullets.

I like the Stribog for what it is, but I have a CZ scorpion, several colt mag AR9s, and a CMMG RDB build, that eat everything.  I don't want to sink a bunch of ammo into figuring tinkering with the Stribog when I have other platforms don't have an issue.  For now I am happy shooting cheap 115 gr in the Stribog and I'll try more 147 grain stuff suppressed when I find the time.  I am also waiting to see what Colt Mag lower options come out (personally don't like Glock mags) -  thinking maybe a small mag feed angle tweak could solve the issue and I'd be more than happy to use my stockpile of colt mags.

Based off my own experience (albeit limited to one type of ammo), and seeing others people's issue - I could only recommend the Stribog with an asterisk.  I like them a lot though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Has there been any major discoveries or solutions regarding Personal Defense rounds failing to feed?  Mine had this issue my second time shooting it.  Failure to Feeds with Federal 147Gr HST and Hornady XTPs.  I called Global Ordinance yesterday morning and Joe (Armorer) told me that the Stribog is designed to fire 115Gr Round Nose NATO rounds, not personal defense hollow point rounds.  He also said that some Stribogs run these PDRs consistently, and others do not.  I must have gotten the latter.  

He did say that polishing the feedramp might help (I'm not to hopeful based on the earlier post above).  

Any ideas on what might be causing this and how to fix the issue?  If I can only shoot 115Gr FMJ rounds through it, I'll have to find another PDW backpack gun. Really disappointed because I really like this gun.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#27]
When I look at my specific issue I think a change in recoil spring weight would help.  When I hand cycle 147 flat nose it feeds fine.  I have not got around to tinkering yet.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I got mine recently (I believe it's fairly recent manufacture but I haven't checked) and so far I've put a box and a half of 150gr Syntech and a few 147gr Ranger T's through it with zero issues. Purely anecdotal at this point but I'm hopeful that it will continue to be reliable.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Hopefully they sort this out in the A3, I really want one of these.  Good luck OP

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Mine runs fine on every 147gr hp I've tried
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I find this post very disturbing, I have about 500-600 rounds of round nose through my Stribog with no issues. Took it out yesterday to run Winchester Ranger 147 and Federal HST 124 grain through it, had the same issue everyone else is having. It would happen on bolt drop, while firing, and up to 7 times per 30 round mag, tried 20 round mags as well, same result.  Loaded both up with Federal Black Pack 115 round nose no issue.

What upsets me the most is that if in fact this weapon is set up to only run reliably on 115 round nose, that should have been put out there in bold print, I never would have bought it had I known that. I have not contacted the company directly yet but plan on doing so tomorrow, I do not think that being made to run on only 115 round nose is an appropriate answer if you didn’t disclose that before.

I see a class action in Grand Power’s future if this is the case.  

Very angry.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I sometimes wonder if this is an inconsistent mag catch height issue. Could the mag sit higher without bolt clearance issues?
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Damn, just found the stribog today while looking for my first PCC.  Glad I saw this thread.  Back to looking for a micro scorpion or mpx
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd be willing to put money on it being the crappy plastic mags. Those feed lips flex when loaded fully, and in some cases have cracked. Bullet shape matters when you don't have consistent feeding. The roundnose is just more forgiving.

Lose the garbage mags and go with quality metal mags (at the very least metal feed lips). GP has the latter being created (because they know their mags are garbage) but they're taking forever to get to the US.

Grand Power should have done this in the first place, and should offer a free exchange for all current owners. That's what a reputable company would do. A defective design is ripe for a lawsuit.

People trust their lives to firearms every day. Unreliable plastic should not be used.

PS I'm not saying polymer can't be used effectively (see glock). I'm saying GP hasn't used it effectively.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 9:05:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Shot my Stribog yesterday with Hornandy hollowpoints, 115 grain +P. No issues with 25 rounds. Shot another 75 rounds of Federal 115 grain FMJ with no issues either. Can’t wait until I can buy some of those metal enforced mags.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Any word when they might become available?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top