Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2018 11:05:15 PM EDT
Is anyone knowledgeable in the ways of the MSAR?  I just picked up a tan STG 556 that has a NATO-xxxx  serial number and calibre marked 223/6.8
Can anyone tell me what this is? All the STGs I've seen have serial numbers starting with 600-
just came in your basic box, nothin' fancy, and the box is labeled to this gun..... but that s/n is driving me crazy, wondering why it's marked unlike any other I've seen.
any help from those wise in MSAR lore would be appreciated.
Query: Are the original style optic sights still around? and if so, what do they go for?  
Failing that, would a new AUG unit fit the stg?" />
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Really?  Nobody's familiar with this series or variant or whatever you'd call it?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#4]
MSAR also had a habit of making small batches of “limited edition” guns they could sell for more. Could be the receiver was something left over from one of those runs hence the different serial number.

I don’t think any of their rifles would command a premium given the fact they are defunct now and all the problems they had where the good rifles worked and the ones that didn’t... it either got fixed (sometimes in a ugly just kill shit off manner) or they played the we are in bankruptcy nah nah na nah na oh wait we aren’t oh wait we are beat around the bush bullshit that they did with I want to say Kfeltenberg who was owed for a few hundred of their faulty Ar-15 mags if I remember correctly.

All that to say just shoot it, enjoy it and hopefully it’s a good one.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Gentlemen, thanks for the info. Information on these really is rather limited, isn't it.....
I'm guessing this is most likely a late "gen 4", so hopefully it won't have any issues.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Sven, do you have an opinion as to why they went under? I mean was it the "shenanigans" you
spoke of, or the availability of real AUGs again, or both?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#7]
If you get a flattop rail for it, you can mount a reflex/red dot sight. Or with an ARMS riser/adapter mount a hensoldt 4X scope to look like the Australians F88.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is anyone knowledgeable in the ways of the MSAR?  I just picked up a tan STG 556 that has a NATO-xxxx  serial number and calibre marked 223/6.8
Can anyone tell me what this is? All the STGs I've seen have serial numbers starting with 600-
just came in your basic box, nothin' fancy, and the box is labeled to this gun..... but that s/n is driving me crazy, wondering why it's marked unlike any other I've seen.
any help from those wise in MSAR lore would be appreciated.
Query: Are the original style optic sights still around? and if so, what do they go for?  
Failing that, would a new AUG unit fit the stg?
View Quote
It might be one of the last ones made as they changed the name for the last iteration.  If the stock can take AR mags, remove the receiver and look at the inside where the 1913 rails would attach to the stock; if there is a metal backer, then you have the last generation produced.  If not, then it's probably one of their parts guns they were pushing out the door before they ran and hid from their creditors in 2010-2011.

You might be lucky and find a sight unit, but there are good chances it won't work or be grossly glitched.  The Steyr unit will not fit.

You also asked why the company failed...bad management on the part of the principles and a complete lack of trust from consumers.  A lot of people returned product that failed (mostly XM-30 magazines and the optics) and were given beads and blankets to "hold us over" until they were fixed.  I'm not sure who else finally was compensated, but I was like a rabid pit bull and finally got working mags and a last gen stock.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Such a shame, it really is an attractive rifle. And seems well made. It doesn't take AR mags, but I got a ten, a 42 and seven 30s with it, and am getting three more 30s from a guy for twenty apiece. I sure hope it runs, but it'll be a few weeks before I have a chance to find out. Keeping fingers crossed....
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 12:35:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Such a shame, it really is an attractive rifle. And seems well made. It doesn't take AR mags, but I got a ten, a 42 and seven 30s with it, and am getting three more 30s from a guy for twenty apiece. I sure hope it runs, but it'll be a few weeks before I have a chance to find out. Keeping fingers crossed....
View Quote
It definitely sounds like a late production gun, probably from before they ran and hid from their customers in 2010/2011 timeframe.  Or, it could be that someone replace the original AR mag stock with an STG stock.  Is the locking piece that locks the receiver to the stock square or does it have rounded corners?
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 1:03:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think there initial success is probably what motivated Steyr to get off their ass and come back to the US market so that’s a net positive.

Also the stg 556 stock which takes the aug style mags has the benefit of not having the stuck mag issue that the e4 models that weren’t sent in for recall work when MSAR was around do. Problem is if Steyr mags won’t work in it finding more mags will be hard from what I remember that was hit or miss so if it runs well and you like it maybe buying a magpul aug mag or Steyr one to see if it will work would be a good idea.

I used to have a OD green stg556 back when I was in the army probably 2008-10ish it ran and was fun. I sold it because it was my only 5.56 rifle at the time and long term prospects with MSAR shitting the bed because of seemingly incompetent leadership made me want something easier to get parts and mags for if I needed them. If it runs, you have other rifles, and you can get it for a bargain price they aren’t bad rifles. It’s just all that uncertainty and inability to do much about it if you get a lemon that’s understandably killed most of the enthusiasm for them I think.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Square. On reflection, a friend's brother bought it new and never shot it. So being unfired, we have no performance history.
I am a total computer Luddite, trying to do this from my phone, and am lost about posting pics here. I hit the pic icon and it says to put in the URL.......um.....
I wouldn't know a URL iif it bit me on the ass..is there another way? I'm used to " browse" thingy that lets you sort thru your pics...
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Square. On reflection, a friend's brother bought it new and never shot it. So being unfired, we have no performance history.
I am a total computer Luddite, trying to do this from my phone, and am lost about posting pics here. I hit the pic icon and it says to put in the URL.......um.....
I wouldn't know a URL iif it bit me on the ass..is there another way? I'm used to " browse" thingy that lets you sort thru your pics...https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/api/mail/IMG_20180426_121506520.jpg?action=attachment&folder=default0%2FINBOX&id=1047918&attachment=2&user=2&context=5249263&decrypt=&sequence=1&delivery=view
View Quote
Basically you have to host the picture somewhere else then the URL is the web address of the picture. So you host it someplace copy the address then you paste that into that box.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Kali, thanks..... I think I will have my son do that when he comes over..host, huh........
just curious....I can see the pic of the rifle, can you not?
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 11:49:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Nope. And if I click the link for it I get a page that says bad request.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn.... that's weird..... or seems so to a computer illiterate . But I'm the same with cars....my friends just shake their heads and say " friggin' guitar players"......
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Damn.... that's weird..... or seems so to a computer illiterate . But I'm the same with cars....my friends just shake their heads and say " friggin' guitar players"......
View Quote
The link you posted was to an post in your mailbox; something that you need to log into view and that the rest of us, who don't have your username and password, can't do.  You could use a service like https://imgur.com/ and have them host it for you or perhaps someone would host them for you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#18]
kurt, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#20]
You're so close.

Use this URL: https://i.imgur.com/OBhAgid_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I got that by right-clicking your pic on the Imgur site.

Link Posted: 4/30/2018 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Sheesh........ I hates machinery......do they have instructions anywhere on how to.........cause I didn't see anything. I may have to wait for my boy to get this done...... Wait, do you see the pic up in the original post now?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, everyone can see it in your OP.
Good job.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks....... I feel like a kindergartener who has been praised for colouring inside the lines..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top