Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2018 11:18:54 PM EDT
Yet another question that I am reading conflicting information about.

Is it acceptable to engrave the barrel?  It would of course be covered by the hand guard ( easily removed without tools.)
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:12:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally engrave the barrels on my HK SBRs.

That said I also have vented handguards on my HK SBRs as well where you can see through to the engraving on the barrel.

Do I also own non-vented handguards that fit those same models....that I do.  Do I worry about the ATF prosecuting me for potentially temporarily covering up my maker markings with an alternate accessory should I chose to use a different handguard sometime in the future....the answer is not anymore than I worry about temporarily covering up the factory serial number and/or model with an optic mount.

However, if you are going to lose sleep over it than just engrave the magwell, etc. and be done.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:19:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I know a sot that had this argument with the atf when they said engraving the rear tang is no longer ok. He pointed out that the barrel is legal to engrave and would be covered.

They told him to just follow the law to the letter. It says engraving the barrel is ok.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I was under the impression that the barrel was good to go.  However, I was advised yesterday by a local (fairly well known) engraver that the barrel was a bad idea.  He said he would do it but wouldn't recommend it.  I have a cheap plastic hand guard that I will cut an opening in for viewing
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was under the impression that the barrel was good to go.  However, I was advised yesterday by a local (fairly well known) engraver that the barrel was a bad idea.  He said he would do it but wouldn't recommend it.  I have a cheap plastic hand guard that I will cut an opening in for viewing
View Quote
barrel is fine, its not like youre going to wear it out anyways
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a C93 engraved and it is partially covered, it does state that it should be easily accessible, which it is, I can just pop the front pin out with my hand and take off the handguard
to expose the complete engraving.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#6]
No one's ever asked me to remove my sear pack so they can see the engraving, and none of my hosts are SBR'd (although they're frequently configured as such with the sear pack installed). Just saying.

I agree the barrel is an acceptable location to ATF, even if mostly obstructed from view.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#7]
If you read the CFR, it says you can engrave the barrel, frame, or receiver.  I think you should engrave the barrel, frame or receiver.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine is engraved almost under the grip housing but you can just see, and read it, between the grip housing and where the receiver folds.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Barrel is fine. All my roller locks are engraved at the very edge of the receiver next to the trigger housing. You have to be looking for it to see it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The NFA Handbook the ATF publishes has some guidance about this.  They use the following phrase to describe marking requirements: "The requirement that the marking be “conspicuously” placed on the firearm means that the marking must be wholly unobstructed from plain view."

I take plain view as meaning that the markings aren't hidden under anything.  As much as I dislike doing it, I mark the weapon in a way where it is visible without removing any parts or anything to see it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine is engraved in the slot the stock rides in. Collapsed you can't see it, extended or full stock you have to look very closely to see it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top