Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2020 12:09:08 AM EDT
What is the general consensus on the SMG Guns FG42 clone rifles? I’ve seen several videos about them and read a few articles, but I thought I’d seek some real life opinions here if anyone owns one or has handled/shot one in person.

They’re pricey for sure, but the FG42 is one of my dream guns and it would be a lot of fun to own one that I could actually shoot.

SMG Guns FG42
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:17:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Linky no virk….

Have seen the Kraut made semi-auto versions, also handled one of the original WW2 models some years back (at the time it was UK legal, converted to semi auto - for £20K, circa 1985 )
The modern German ones were really nice.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Linky no virk….

Have seen the Kraut made semi-auto versions, also handled one of the original WW2 models some years back (at the time it was UK legal, converted to semi auto - for £20K, circa 1985 )
The modern German ones were really nice.
View Quote

Weird. The link works for me on Chrome on my desktop. Admittedly their site is a bit older so it may have issues on some browsers.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]
How hard is it to turn one of those into a post-sample?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How hard is it to turn one of those into a post-sample?
View Quote
Idk, but last I checked (which was years ago) SMG offers theirs as a post sample.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

You rang?

Mine is chambered in .308 Win, using M-14 mags with HK91 followers and mag springs. The 7.92x57 versions use ZB-26/30 mags, which have spotty availability and high price, plus they are going on a century old. The .308 version is much more practical, and practicality is everything in a $6k rifle.
The scope is a new production Meopta ZF4 in an Estes Adams mount. I'm pretty sure the Meoptas are no longer available, and Estes Adams died a couple years ago, so optics may be a bit of a challenge unless SMG or someone else steps in to make mounts.
It's surprisingly compact, and handles quite well. It isn't a heavy rifle, but that compactness initially fools you into thinking it's going to weigh less than it does. The trigger pull is heavy, but there's really nothing to be done about it, given the way the gun works. SMG could have gone to a different mechanism, but intentionally chose to keep the original system (except for the full auto option). Recoil is quite light, due to the design.
Overall, it does nothing that an FAL, M1A, or AR-10 type can't do for far less money, but it's a grail gun, and needs no further justification.

The Type 1 FG42 rifles with the steeply raked grip are currently in production in 7.92x57. As soon as the .308 Type 1s are in production, I'm getting one. And I will take its picture next to my 1957 edition of Small Arms of the World open to page 444, where I first saw and fell in love with the FG42 a half century ago.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:07:00 PM EDT
[#6]
In case you haven't seen Ian at Forgotten Weapons/InRangeTV, here he is shooting his in competition:

FG42 2 Gun

FG42 at Desert Brutality day 1

FG42 at Desert Brutality Day 2
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/245980/DSCI0055_JPG-841091_jpg-1359773.JPG

You rang?

Mine is chambered in .308 Win, using M-14 mags with HK91 followers and mag springs. The 7.92x57 versions use ZB-26/30 mags, which have spotty availability and high price, plus they are going on a century old. The .308 version is much more practical, and practicality is everything in a $6k rifle.
The scope is a new production Meopta ZF4 in an Estes Adams mount. I'm pretty sure the Meoptas are no longer available, and Estes Adams died a couple years ago, so optics may be a bit of a challenge unless SMG or someone else steps in to make mounts.
It's surprisingly compact, and handles quite well. It isn't a heavy rifle, but that compactness initially fools you into thinking it's going to weigh less than it does. The trigger pull is heavy, but there's really nothing to be done about it, given the way the gun works. SMG could have gone to a different mechanism, but intentionally chose to keep the original system (except for the full auto option). Recoil is quite light, due to the design.
Overall, it does nothing that an FAL, M1A, or AR-10 type can't do for far less money, but it's a grail gun, and needs no further justification.

The Type 1 FG42 rifles with the steeply raked grip are currently in production in 7.92x57. As soon as the .308 Type 1s are in production, I'm getting one. And I will take its picture next to my 1957 edition of Small Arms of the World open to page 444, where I first saw and fell in love with the FG42 a half century ago.
View Quote

Thanks. I agree .308 would be more practical but I (perhaps stupidly) want one in 8mm. The optics do present a challenge given the issues you mentioned, so that is one thing holding me back.  But the FG42 is by far my favorite WWII German rifle and to be able to get one would be amazing.

However, Texas sales tax is no joke so that has to be factored into the price equation for me as well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
In case you haven't seen Ian at Forgotten Weapons/InRangeTV, here he is shooting his in competition:

FG42 2 Gun

FG42 at Desert Brutality day 1

FG42 at Desert Brutality Day 2
View Quote

Thanks. I had not see those yet.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 12:34:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/245980/DSCI0055_JPG-841091_jpg-1359773.JPG

You rang?

View Quote
As a guy who owns a lot of other people's grail guns ( AutoMags, pre-64 M70s, etc )....lemme tell ya, I am JELLY!!!  I love your FG.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks. I agree .308 would be more practical but I (perhaps stupidly) want one in 8mm. The optics do present a challenge given the issues you mentioned, so that is one thing holding me back.  But the FG42 is by far my favorite WWII German rifle and to be able to get one would be amazing.

However, Texas sales tax is no joke so that has to be factored into the price equation for me as well.
View Quote

Looks like I was partially wrong. Estes Adams is indeed dead, but apparently the ZF4s are still available, either new (Gun Parts Corp), or used (EBay). Dunno about mounts, but SMG could certainly guide you.
ZF4 GPC
ZF4 EBay
I'd go ahead and get the scope, and some mags while they are still available. However, if you're going to get a Type 1, it's an even smaller, lighter, more compact rifle than the Type 2, so would be more at home with irons only. The irons are very good, BTW. Just a thought.

As to Texas sales tax, well, a grail gun is a grail gun. Did the Castle Anthrax stop Sir Galahad?
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You rang?

View Quote

Someday I will have one of those...………….I want the Type 1
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Ian gun jesus bought one and he has some vids on his Forgotten Weapons channel.

He also ran it in some matches on his In Range channel
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Looks like I was partially wrong. Estes Adams is indeed dead, but apparently the ZF4s are still available, either new (Gun Parts Corp), or used (EBay). Dunno about mounts, but SMG could certainly guide you.
ZF4 GPC
ZF4 EBay
I'd go ahead and get the scope, and some mags while they are still available. However, if you're going to get a Type 1, it's an even smaller, lighter, more compact rifle than the Type 2, so would be more at home with irons only. The irons are very good, BTW. Just a thought.

As to Texas sales tax, well, a grail gun is a grail gun. Did the Castle Anthrax stop Sir Galahad?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ZF4 GPC
ZF4 EBay

Thanks for digging all that up. I am getting on the list for a Type 2 in 8mm. The options listed are a bit overwhelming so I may shoot you a PM for advice.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks for digging all that up. I am getting on the list for a Type 2 in 8mm. The options listed are a bit overwhelming so I may shoot you a PM for advice.
View Quote

You won't regret it. I'm happy to dispense advice, as long as you recognize that I do not consider myself an FG42 expert, just an enthusiast.
Off the top of my head, I think are "must-haves" are the windage-adjustable rear sight, which SMG did so well that it looks like ze Germans designed it that way. My particular rifle was dead-on for windage, so I didn't need it, but it would be very annoying to have the front sight hanging off to one side on a zillion-dollar rifle, and it's a cheap upgrade. The other is the removable case deflector. You'll notice my rifle's is removed. The case deflector bangs the hell out of your ejected cases, making them unsuitable for reloading. If you shoot steel-cased or don't reload, it's a non-issue, but again, it's something that can't be retrofitted if you decide you want it later.
The sling is something of a PITA. The reproduction made by Natron (seen on SMG's website) is not something I recommend. The leather is crappy, the adjusting buckle slips, and the front sling hook is wrong. It does not have the divided opening for the sling loop: it's just one big opening. The only correct one I've found is made by At The Front, but they've been out of stock for a very long time.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You won't regret it. I'm happy to dispense advice, as long as you recognize that I do not consider myself an FG42 expert, just an enthusiast.
Off the top of my head, I think are "must-haves" are the windage-adjustable rear sight, which SMG did so well that it looks like ze Germans designed it that way. My particular rifle was dead-on for windage, so I didn't need it, but it would be very annoying to have the front sight hanging off to one side on a zillion-dollar rifle, and it's a cheap upgrade. The other is the removable case deflector. You'll notice my rifle's is removed. The case deflector bangs the hell out of your ejected cases, making them unsuitable for reloading. If you shoot steel-cased or don't reload, it's a non-issue, but again, it's something that can't be retrofitted if you decide you want it later.
The sling is something of a PITA. The reproduction made by Natron (seen on SMG's website) is not something I recommend. The leather is crappy, the adjusting buckle slips, and the front sling hook is wrong. It does not have the divided opening for the sling loop: it's just one big opening. The only correct one I've found is made by At The Front, but they've been out of stock for a very long time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. IM sent. I don't think the removable case deflector is an option anymore (from what I can tell).
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I wonder what their wait time is these days. I’d love to pick one of these up one of these days. A type one would be super sweet!
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a T2. Very cool gun. It’s 8mm and the weak point is the ZB mags.

Next to a Sig AMT for comparison.

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wonder what their wait time is these days. I’d love to pick one of these up one of these days. A type one would be super sweet!
View Quote

I understand it to be 8+ months right now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#19]
For those interested in an 8mm Type 1 without the wait, SMG has one on gunbroker.
Type 1
As with the Type 2 rifles, occasionally a client can't complete the purchase for one reason or another, so those go on GB for the folks who just gotta have one now and aren't going to be picky about the serial number or combination of metal and wood finish.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#20]
That Type 1 grip looks very uncomfortable to shoot. Does anyone know how the Type 1 is to shoot compared to the Type 2 grip?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:27:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By BM-ARM-DPMS-guns:
I have a T2. Very cool gun. It’s 8mm and the weak point is the ZB mags.

Next to a Sig AMT for comparison. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/54333/18EFDDB7-2246-4085-96C5-B9FEB9D0FEEC-1372260.jpg
View Quote

What wood/stain did you go with for the handguard and stock?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By xylo:
That Type 1 grip looks very uncomfortable to shoot. Does anyone know how the Type 1 is to shoot compared to the Type 2 grip?
View Quote

Since I don't have mine yet, I can't speak from experience. However, Rick Smith of SMG (who make them) commented that, during development and high-volume test firing of the Type 1, he used a lower with "a more traditional grip angle" to keep from pinching his hand, but noted that he has big hands.

As an aside, nobody (even Ian: I asked) seems to know for sure why the Type 1 grip is so sharply angled. We do know it isn't for the oft-quoted reason of being able to easily shoot while descending via parachute. The grip should be angled the opposite way if were that the reason.
Similarly, the supposition that the grip angle is intended to match that of the K98k makes little sense, since the FJs were armed with the MP38/40 and MG34/42, all of which have a similar, more vertical grip angle.
Personally, I believe it had mostly to do with minimizing the amount of stuff sticking out to get hung up in webbing, etc. By tucking the grip up so that the bottom of the PG does not come below the level of the toe of the buttstock, they minimized the vertical profile, making it closer to the K98k profile. That last bit also may have been influenced by the damn-near impossible requirements laid down: same size, weight, and cartridge as the K98k, but capable of full-auto with a detachable magazine. After Crete, the FJs weren't jumping anymore, so the Type 2 got much more robust (and heavier) with a more practical grip angle, although why it doesn't look like the MP40/MG42/StG44 style grip is beyond me.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What wood/stain did you go with for the handguard and stock?
View Quote

It was done prior to me buying it so there wasn’t a choice. Not really sure what the spec is.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:
Looks like a fine weapon choice. And certainly not one you'd see often !

I would love to fire one... I am curious about the recoil impulse.
View Quote

Very gentle for the cartridge. The spring-loaded buffer only strokes about 1/4 inch, so the movement is almost undetectable, but there is a "soft" feel to the recoil, if that makes any sense. Between the weight (the Type 2 is 10 lb - relatively heavy for its size), the buffer, and the muzzle brake, it makes .308 feel about like 7.62x39 in terms of overall thump, but there's that different, "softer", much more pleasant quality about it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Same with the 8mm.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By BM-ARM-DPMS-guns:
I have a T2. Very cool gun. It’s 8mm and the weak point is the ZB mags.

Next to a Sig AMT for comparison. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/54333/18EFDDB7-2246-4085-96C5-B9FEB9D0FEEC-1372260.jpg
View Quote

SiG AMT was always my grail gun.  Handled one as a youngster at a small shop in Utah in the late ‘80s or early ‘90s.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Good news for FG42 owners and nascent owners: the Texled FG42 slings made by At The Front are finally back in stock.
FG42 sling
Get 'em while you can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top