Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2022 9:21:38 AM EDT
Anybody have one?  They look tempting but I’m not crazy about the 10 rnd mag. If it was 308, I’d jump on it.  Any opinions?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one of the original ones. They're cool if you live in a ban state (you can get a thumbhole cover from Solar Tactical that makes it featureless). Really good accuracy with heavy bullets. Good conversation piece and you will get attention at the local range. Pretty uncommon.

It's HK so quality is awesome and it will probably be collectible some day.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#2]
People use them as donors for full German G36 conversions. The hard part is finding the cut off rear hinge section of G36. Those alone can cost 500+ any more just for a piece of plastic.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah only reason I'd get one is to convert it to a G36. Tommy Built can covert them. That or just buy one of the already made Tommy Built G36's and call it a day. But if you really wanted it German HK, then yeah the SL8 is the only way.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah only reason I'd get one is to convert it to a G36. Tommy Built can covert them. That or just buy one of the already made Tommy Built G36's and call it a day. But if you really wanted it German HK, then yeah the SL8 is the only way.
View Quote

I’m waiting on my F1 approval to send a G36C demill out for conversion. Screwed up on the first efile attempt. Eye sight is worse than I thought.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I had the SL8-6 and had it converted to a G36 fuse job. I then sold the receiver and bought the T36 receiver from Tommy. If you want a G36, I'd much rather have the solid one piece T36 receiver even if it's not 100% German. As good as the fuse jobs are, it's still exactly that.

If I bought a SL8 now I'd for sure keep it original. It is a bit of an oddball but maybe a collectible.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 2:30:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought an SL8, it's garbage in the original configuration.  It's going to take a short vacation in Florida and hit the chop saw.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m sure a lot of the original SL8-1s and SL8-6s were used for conversions as remember that for a long time that was really the only road to a G36 clone.  It was also somewhat expensive finding the parts, as well as 922r parts if you care about that.  Now, with the expense of  conversion, some of the parts (like G36 bolts) being a bit harder to find, and the availability of the T36 receiver, I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of the new SL8s now being released are kept and used in the original configuration as a precision 5.56 rifle.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I looked at the tommybuilt website and I didn’t see if he does the conversions anymore.  Says parts are hard to come by
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I looked at the tommybuilt website and I didn’t see if he does the conversions anymore.  Says parts are hard to come by
View Quote

He does, you just need to provide donor... it runs around a grand to have done. Pick this one up on the Pro site. Mine requires tax stamp before he starts. Of all the stamps I have, this one is giving me the most fits...

Link Posted: 2/12/2022 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I like them and am considering buying one, hits a nostalgia point for me since I vividly remember the angst of living through the Klinton era AWB.

I like different guns.

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Where are they being sold for the best price?  Can’t be too overinflated because there doesn’t seem to be much interest
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Where are they being sold for the best price?  Can’t be too overinflated because there doesn’t seem to be much interest
View Quote

SL8 $1700.00

Not sure if best price but he has fixed rate shipping and charges no tax. Not in stock now but get on BIS notification.

I’ve spent a lot with this guy, he is good to go. If you happen to call, tell him Chargerdude70 from HKPRO sent ya. May even give ya a slight discount.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I got one around 2007? 2008?  Only reason I got it is the same reason why people would only get one now, to have Tommy built do a g36 conversion.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Really?  Because im not planning a conversion and I’m getting one.

Im seeing a lot of people saying not to convert, just buy the new production USA made ones.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

SL8 $1700.00

Not sure if best price but he has fixed rate shipping and charges no tax. Not in stock now but get on BIS notification.

I’ve spent a lot with this guy, he is good to go. If you happen to call, tell him Chargerdude70 from HKPRO sent ya. May even give ya a slight discount.
View Quote

Cheapest i have seen is gunbroker at $1650 shipped includes tax.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#16]
The only way to own a SL8 is to convert it to a G36.  $$$$
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 6:50:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd be curious if someone could make a "repair section" that can be made in semi-auto

If you can get a G36 kit to mod -  why go through the expense of an entire SL8 to do a fuse job?

How are the fuse jobs done with plastic welding process? or epoxy with reinforcments?
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:13:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd be curious if someone could make a "repair section" that can be made in semi-auto

If you can get a G36 kit to mod -  why go through the expense of an entire SL8 to do a fuse job?

How are the fuse jobs done with plastic welding process? or epoxy with reinforcments?
View Quote

Not sure if I quite understand what you mean by "repair section".  Tom offers a US made G36 receiver called the TG36.  More will be in stock within the next month.  

The SL8 conversions are plastic welded without any epoxy whatsoever.  There is a metal reinforcement bar tying the fused section to the receiver but that is largely unnecessary.  BASF has released some nylon 6/6 plastic welding studies that show the welds to be at the same strength as the surrounding polymer or even slightly higher.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#19]
natural gas lines in the ground are plastic and fused together, different forces at play but worth mentioning
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I see Hera produces a stock adapter for these.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 10:05:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Prices are getting pretty decent in them now.

The stock never bothered me a great deal, but the magazine situation is an absolute deal breaker given how extremely expensive it is to fix.  New bolt, cuts on the bottom of the receiver, cuts on the side of the receiver that leaves a gap needing to be patched, new magazine well, 922r.

Would have had one already if not for that. The Canadian SL8-4 with a threaded barrel essentially.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I like them and am considering buying one, hits a nostalgia point for me since I vividly remember the angst of living through the Klinton era AWB.

I like different guns.

View Quote

More or less this

Not every new purchase needs to be “go to war” capable
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 11:48:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I would imagine that more than a few of these will be bought by “investors”, with their plan being to store them away, New In Box, sit on them for a few years, then sell them for a significant profit.

I just don’t see these rifles generating significant collector interest, and therefore price appreciation, even among H&K collectors.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 5:43:36 AM EDT
[#24]
If you want an investment, buy a G36 parts kit (if you can find one).  THAT will be worth more money in the very near future, and a lot more in the long term.

An SL8 is not rare, it's not cool, and it's not a good rifle.  It's appreciation will lose to inflation.  You'll think you made money, but you didn't.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you want an investment, buy a G36 parts kit (if you can find one).  THAT will be worth more money in the very near future, and a lot more in the long term.

An SL8 is not rare, it's not cool, and it's not a good rifle.  It's appreciation will lose to inflation.  You'll think you made money, but you didn't.
View Quote

You're wrong about the SL8.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You're wrong about the SL8.
View Quote

Let’s hear your argument to the contrary then, unless it just subjective.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Eodinverts entire second paragraph is also subjective.

First paragraph I agree with for the most part.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Here's my SL8 after I sent it to Tommy - though I did switch the optics to something a bit smaller after the pic:

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Mine requires tax stamp before he starts. Of all the stamps I have, this one is giving me the most fits...
View Quote
Why can't he just assemble it as a pistol, so you can add the stock later yourself?

Is he still doing SL8-to-G36 receiver welding since the TG36 receiver came out?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#30]
From https://tommybuilttactical.com/sl8-to-g36-conversion/

This conversion can be done on both the original grey colored sl8-1 and the newer black SL8-6. Total conversion cost without barrel work including the laser engraving is $950 and the break down is as follows:

Add G36 rear hinge section to SL8 receiver with laser cut stainless steel support plate, add stock hold open ledge to the top of the shell case deflector, remove top alignment numb from carrier. $525
Double stack magazine conversion, mill receiver, install laser cut metal support plate, plastic weld cover and refinish area to look factory. $235 (magwell and bolt head required but not induced in price)
Laser engrave G36 style markings on both sides of receiver. $125
Convert German G36 lower to semi or swap in SL8 fire control components and modify lower to fit. $75
Add NFA engraving. $35
SL8 to G36E barrel conversion. $275 (bayonet lug required and not included in price)
Custom duracoat G36 project in any single duracoat color, including laser engraving and remarking lower. $350
Barrel installation only. $15
Mill G36 carier to semi specs. $50
Dye receiver. $35 (included in rear section conversion)
Turn around times are typically two weeks or less. None of these prices reflect the return shipping cost.

Along with the factory SL8 parts, the basic parts required for a SL8 to G36 conversion are:

G36 rear section at least 3.5 inches long or TBT rear section
G36 buffer plate
G36 push pin
G36 lower
G36 Magwell
G36 bolt head
G36 stock (of your choice, there are several options)
G36 stock axle pin
View Quote

After all that, plus the fact you have to source an actual G36 bolt, it makes more sense to buy a T36 or something else altogether.

I own two USC to UMP conversions (stock block style) done by Tommy. He does great work. The USC conversion is far easier with the stock block than the SL8 conversion. I still have a durable weapon that I can use for competition and home defense without any plastic welding.

So if it were me, I would just buy a T36 or source a real G36 parts kits and use a Tommy Built receiver.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#31]
The only real reason to do an SL8 to G36 conversion is if you want to use german parts.

Other than that, it makes more financial sense to buy a TG36 build.

The PSG8 is the exception - you kinda get the best of both worlds in that the PSG8 stock and AR trigger are enough parts for 922r, and you get to keep all the german parts that matter.  Also, it just looks cool.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why can't he just assemble it as a pistol, so you can add the stock later yourself?

Is he still doing SL8-to-G36 receiver welding since the TG36 receiver came out?
View Quote

The SL8 only comes as a rifle and I’m pretty sure that is what is being converted here from my understanding.  

Tommy will usually have you do the Form1, and once approved, you can send him your stuff for the conversion and he will send you back a fully functional G36 C or K SBR.

I had him do my conversation but kept it a rifle so he sent it back with a 16” barrel.  I then did the form1, and installed the 9” barrel myself after approval.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
From https://tommybuilttactical.com/sl8-to-g36-conversion/

After all that, plus the fact you have to source an actual G36 bolt, it makes more sense to buy a T36 or something else altogether.

I own two USC to UMP conversions (stock block style) done by Tommy. He does great work. The USC conversion is far easier with the stock block than the SL8 conversion. I still have a durable weapon that I can use for competition and home defense without any plastic welding.

So if it were me, I would just buy a T36 or source a real G36 parts kits and use a Tommy Built receiver.
View Quote

If you can’t find a G36 bolt head, Tommy can weld a lug onto the SL8 bolt head as well to get you going.  

Welded UMP conversions are just as durable as the stock block.  Great option the stock block is, but it just doesn’t look like a legit UMP.

T36 receivers are nice….but something about having a full HK G36 is something very special.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The SL8 only comes as a rifle and I'm pretty sure that is what is being converted here from my understanding.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The SL8 only comes as a rifle and I'm pretty sure that is what is being converted here from my understanding.
He'd only have to make one additional cut to completely "destroy" the SL8 receiver, if I'm understanding Title I DEMIL correctly. Then it could be re-manufactured as a pistol.

Tommy will usually have you do the Form1, and once approved, you can send him your stuff for the conversion and he will send you back a fully functional G36 C or K SBR.
Maybe he doesn't want to F2 and/or log stuff on his manufacturing A&D?
Or maybe the above-mentioned additional cut/weld would be overly troublesome.

I had him do my conversation but kept it a rifle so he sent it back with a 16" barrel.  I then did the form1, and installed the 9" barrel myself after approval.
That's another good legal workaround. Swap the barrel later, or if you only have a short barrel, he could do all the work with no barrel (and test with his own barrel).
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you can't find a G36 bolt head, Tommy can weld a lug onto the SL8 bolt head as well to get you going.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If you can't find a G36 bolt head, Tommy can weld a lug onto the SL8 bolt head as well to get you going.
That's really awesome. I had wondered if TIG welding would ruin the heat treat on the bolt. Apparently not, if you've got the mad skills.

T36 receivers are nice.but something about having a full HK G36 is something very special.
Yes, if 922r doesn’t concern you then it’s cool.

TG36 receiver is cool too.
T36 receivers have been declared “no bueno” and all due for replacement, from what I understood about that fiasco.

That’s why I asked if he still mods the SL8 receivers. I thought the back of the T36 receiver (other than the hinge) was the same as an SL8 so didn’t know if that was still kosher with ATF.

Maybe he now changes the structure of the SL8 there to be like the TG36 and better block the select-fire trigger group or whatever?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
He'd only have to make one additional cut to completely "destroy" the SL8 receiver, if I'm understanding Title I DEMIL correctly. Then it could be re-manufactured as a pistol.

M
View Quote

About 5 or so years ago, Michael's Machines got a hold of a handful of new, de-milled G36 receivers, and he did just this.  He had Tommy weld all the pieces together and turned them into Title 1 pistols and was selling the shorter barrel versions C's & K's with braces.  It was a full German gun with the exception of having MM barrels.   I would have had one if MM didn't screw me over on the deal.  I still lost money on that purchase to this day.    

The guns themselves were beautiful...not SL8 conversions, but actual G36s.  About the only way for a civilian to get a real semi auto Title 1 G36, although they were considered manufactured by Michael's Machines.  

I assume Tommy doesn't demil in order to keep it a factory HK SL8.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you can’t find a G36 bolt head, Tommy can weld a lug onto the SL8 bolt head as well to get you going.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Tom will not weld back the lugs on bolts, they will break more often than not.  

Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he doesn't want to F2 and/or log stuff on his manufacturing A&D?
Or maybe the above-mentioned additional cut/weld would be overly troublesome.

I had him do my conversation but kept it a rifle so he sent it back with a 16" barrel.  I then did the form1, and installed the 9" barrel myself after approval.
That's another good legal workaround. Swap the barrel later, or if you only have a short barrel, he could do all the work with no barrel (and test with his own barrel).

Welding on the hinge does not make a SL8 into a pistol, or at least such an idea has never been run up the flagpole.  Early on in the development of the rear hinge graft, Joe from Dakota Tactical said he spoke to ATF regarding the making of a new gun by cutting off the rear inclusive of the serial.  The agent said something like you would need to make that argument to a judge.  The F1 is just for guys who want Tom to send it back in NFA configuration.  If you want a factory SBR (TG36) then he can file the paperwork but it has to transfer to your in-state dealer and then to you.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

About 5 or so years ago, Michael's Machines got a hold of a handful of new, de-milled G36 receivers, and he did just this.  He had Tommy weld all the pieces together and turned them into Title 1 pistols and was selling the shorter barrel versions C's & K's with braces.  It was a full German gun with the exception of having MM barrels.   I would have had one if MM didn't screw me over on the deal.  I still lost money on that purchase to this day.    

The guns themselves were beautiful...not SL8 conversions, but actual G36s.  About the only way for a civilian to get a real semi auto Title 1 G36, although they were considered manufactured by Michael's Machines.  

I assume Tommy doesn't demil in order to keep it a factory HK SL8.
View Quote

Pistols are not subject to 922.  Calling that run "full German" isn't technically accurate.  Tom manufactured a US made receiver from scrap pieces.  They weren't German the moment they were destroyed.  Tom made the receivers and marked them with his info, and then MM manufactured them into pistols and MM added his info.  But all that said, yes, they were about the only way to get close to a G36 in concept.      
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did not know he wasn't doing that anymore.  He did mine until I was able to source a genuine G36 bolt.   It ran great with the welded lug, but can understand it was merely a temporary solution.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Pistols are not subject to 922.  Calling that run "full German" isn't technically accurate.  Tom manufactured a US made receiver from scrap pieces.  They weren't German the moment they were destroyed.  Tom made the receivers and marked them with his info, and then MM manufactured them into pistols and MM added his info.  But all that said, yes, they were about the only way to get close to a G36 in concept.      
View Quote

You're right.  Not technically "full German."   My mistake in phrasing.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks.

Welding on the hinge does not make a SL8 into a pistol, or at least such an idea has never been run up the flagpole.
No, it'd have to undergo DEMIL first, hence the "additional" cut.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
So if it's a "pistol" and not subject to 922, but you then SBR it, is it subject to 922 once it's SBR'ed?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So if it's a "pistol" and not subject to 922, but you then SBR it, is it subject to 922 once it's SBR'ed?
View Quote
Yes, but you could (for the time being) use a brace instead. There's no "HK factory" brace, so something wouldn't be German.

922(r) doesn't outlaw possession however, just assembly. So if nobody can prove who assembled it then there's no case.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#44]
OST because I need one for my 36E conversion next month to go with my 36K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top