BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Posted: 2/2/2021 5:22:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980]
https://www.sigsauer.com/sig716-tread.html
This is my first AR-308/AR-10 type rifle and it is awesome! Reviews and reports indicate this rifle is capable of running with the big names in the AR-308/ AR-10 pack. It is a best buy for the price and a serious contender. Don't be fooled by its entry level price. This is not an entry level rifle, but is it a top teir battle rifle?
The SIG-Sauer Tread 716i: 21st Century Battle Rifle

Expensive vs. Inexpensive: POF Revolution DI vs. Sig 716i

Would you choose a .308 for a fighting rifle? India's new Sig 716i rifle.

NEW Sig Tread 716i Review: A Long-Range AR-10

The Sig 716i TREAD .308 Win

Update 6/17/21
My SIG716I TREAD is an accurate and reliable rifle. I've shot 460rds throught it and it just keeps getting better. It's spec'd with the following gear.
Optic: Nikon M-Tactical 3-12x42SF MK1-MRAD mounted in an Aero Precision Ultralight 30mm SPR mount.
BUIS:  Magpul MBUS Pro Offset sights
Trigger: Stock single stage lightened from 8.5lbs to a clean crisp 4.5lb pull using the JP Enhanced Ignition Reliability Spring kit.
Charging Handle: SIG716I Ambi Charging Handle.
Muzzle Attachment: SureFire ProComp 7.62 Muzzle Brake. Stock: VLTOR EMOD stock.
Attachments: Magpul M-LOK Rifle Bipod, Magpul M-LOK MVG, Magpul MOE-K2+ Pistol Grip.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. I actually love it. Simple, functional, reliable.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:11:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By goloud:
Yes. I actually love it. Simple, functional, reliable.

Enjoy.
View Quote

What kind of an optic do you have on it?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Steiner T432 is a good fit for the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 5:02:19 AM EDT
[#4]
My 716i arrived at the LGS today and its a very nice rifle. In 10 business days she can finally come home. I also bought a Nikon M-Tactical 3-12x42SF MK1-MRAD scope for it. Can't wait to shoot!
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I really liked the one I bought.

I picked up an LMT MWS, KAC SR-25 PC, and a SIG 716 Tread all at the same time.

The value is absolutely on the Sig. The LMT was my pick to keep, but I have a special case for it, ended up selling them all, but, when I see another 716 Tread come up, I might consider it.

For me personally, I wish the LMT was lighter, and while Sig does a really overall excellent job for the cost, I kinda think my second choice would be a small frame AR-10.

So, IDK. I can tell you this for absolute certain, there is no way in hell the KAC is 4-6 times the rifle the SIG is. SIG has nice controls, a nicer finish, a better rail system in my opinion. With a few hundred tossed at it the Sig seems like the best value in AR10s right now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Except for the SIG, those are pricier weapons than I am able to stock my shelves with at the moment. I've had to pick the most functional weapons I need and can find for the price. Thats where the SIG716I made the list. I agree it is a phenomenal value. I would like to hear more field reports from the Indian Military on its performance. Thus far, all the reviews I've read or viewed have echoed your sentiments of quality. Only complaints I've heard are that ¹ the charging handle is too small, which is true. Also that ² the trigger sucks, which I do not know yet. More in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#7]
What did you think after you shot it? I just received mine but haven’t got to go shoot it yet because of the weather.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:56:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#8]
Originally Posted By El_Herko:
What did you think after you shot it? I just received mine but haven’t got to go shoot it yet because of the weather.
View Quote

I haven't shot mine yet. Can you post your experiences once you do?

I inspected it upon arrival at my LGS. The charging handle is awkwardly small and provides very little purchase. I also dry fired the rifle to feel the trigger which some YouTube and web reviewers listed has the SIG 2 stage Match Duo lightweight trigger, but it doesn't feel like a match 2 stage trigger. I could be wrong so I'll closely inspect on the 26th when I get it home.

I also just received my Nikon M-Tactical 3-12x42SF MK1-MRAD. Once the rifle gets in, I will be mount the optic and accessories and zero and post results and thoughts.

I shot a rep at SIG the question about the trigger. Lets see what comes back.
(SIG's response was no, it does not come with the match trigger.)
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 4:58:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#9]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

My SIG716I Tread was a pleasure to shoot. I put 150rds down the tube and knocked my rings loose because my rookie ass forgot to use Loctite. There I was, thinking it was all my poor fundamentals, and it was along with the scope issue! I'll definitely update with 100yd zero results next time out but this time around I sucked. The rifle is beautiful and very smooth to shoot even with a 16"bbl. I like it way more than my SOCOM16 and it is better balanced and very light to the touch. The trigger is not bad. It is a single stage but it is way too heavy for any type of precision IMO but highly effective as a battle rifle. A new trigger along with a diciplined inspection before my next shoot and I should be able to provide better information and attain better results.

Conclusion for now is this rifle is an amazing value for the price.

The other rifle on the table is a Ruger AR-556 MPR which for an 18"bbl 5.56 is also an amazing value.

03/03/21
Noticed my M-LOK bipod bolt was touching my gas block. I filed it down to avoid contact.
Not sure if this would impact my results, but when added to poor fundamentals and loose scope rings, I think it explains my POA/POI shift.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:41:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ex_Sanguine_Nation] [#10]
For anyone unaware, I saw that the SIG store has ambi charging handles for the 716 available for $50.

https://www.sigsauer.com/tread-716i-ambidextrous-charging-handle.html
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:
For anyone unaware, I saw that the SIG store has ambi charging handles for the 716 available for $50.

https://www.sigsauer.com/tread-ambidextrous-charging-handle.html
View Quote

The link redirects to an M400 Tread exclusive charging handle. If you call SIG you can order a 716i specific charging handle I've heard.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 8:09:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ex_Sanguine_Nation] [#12]
Originally Posted By GLD1980:

The link redirects to an M400 Tread exclusive charging handle. If you call SIG you can order a 716i specific charging handle I've heard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.sigsauer.com/tread-ambidextrous-charging-handle.html

My bad. I linked the wrong one. Fixed.

I read the same thing, and was preparing to do so when I saw that it had been added to the store so you didn't have to. And for only $50, too. That's gotta chap the folks who paid 120.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 3:10:28 AM EDT
[#13]

I read the same thing, and was preparing to do so when I saw that it had been added to the store so you didn't have to. And for only $50, too. That's gotta chap the folks who paid 120.
View Quote

Thanks for posting it nonetheless. I ordered one today. Who was selling them for $120? I did read that somewhere when I was looking into this platform. That's a bit pricey for a charging handle IMO.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Thanks for posting it nonetheless. I ordered one today. Who was selling them for $120? I did read that somewhere when I was looking into this platform. That's a bit pricey for a charging handle IMO.

Thanks again!
View All Quotes

Thanks again!

If I recall correctly that was what SIG was charging folks who phoned in to order one off the part # before it was listed. That's what a forum told me, anyway.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:41:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#15]
Shot the SIG716i again this weekend. I was able to get under 2MOA at 100 & 200 yards but struggled with my trigger squeeze and couldn't get down to MOA or better.
I'm new to Precision type shooting and need to keep working on my fundamentals. The trigger on this beast is extremely heavy and has bested me while making me a better shooter. A new trigger is on my short list, but training with the stock trigger has really helped me learn focus and patience.

I warmed up shooting Australian Outback 145gr F4 ball (ADI M80 clone) and was averaging around 2-3MOA all day. I then transitioned to Hornady Black 155gr AMAX to group. The AMAX have been rumored to be favored by 16"bbl .308's like my SOCOM16 and the same held true here. I averaged groups under 2MOA with a few fliers preventing MOA groups. My trigger squeeze really held me back. A better shooter would have this setup under MOA in my opinion. I finished with Australian Outback 150gr Swift Scirocco II BTS and the groups opened up bit remaining around 2MOA. I still need to shoot my Fed GMM 168gr SMK's but my finger ran out of juice and I didn't want to waste the ammo.
So far, my SIG716i is an accurate and reliable rifle. I've shot over 250rds and it keeps getting better. I do believe anything less than 155gr will not hit the rifles accuracy potential and perform poorly.

Question for the group:

If I like my trigger break and reset but its just to heavy, is there a way to simply lighten the pull? Its the crispist and cleanest trigger I have its just the heaviest. This with a 4.5lb pull or better would be amazing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 6:13:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rifleguy81] [#16]

Question for the group:

If I like my trigger break and reset but its just to heavy, is there a way to simply lighten the pull? Its the crispist and cleanest trigger I have its just the heaviest. This with a 4.5lb pull or better would be amazing.
View Quote

I have a LaRue MBT in my 716i and am very happy with it.

Sigs 2 stage trigger is not great, at all.

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine just arrived so I thought I would share a few details that might interest some.

Upper and lower forge marks:

Keyed handguard to upper:

Dual ejectors and chrome-lined carrier:

Steel deflector insert (were the ejected cases eating-up the aluminum forging, perhaps?):

I haven't shot, yet, but am really looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Is the 716 it’s own pattern or can you use other uppers? I hat about barrel swaps will it accept DPMS pattern barrels?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Rifleguy81:

I have a LaRue MBT in my 716i and am very happy with it.

Sigs 2 stage trigger is not great, at all.
View Quote

I ordered the LaRue based on your recommendation and the reviews of many others but its backordered for 8-10 weeks so I cancelled and I will try JP springs first. If I am not pleased I will wait the 2-3 months or longer. I am sure its worth it.

Mine just arrived so I thought I would share a few details that might interest some.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/11358/20210326_081310-1881011.jpg

Upper and lower forge marks:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/11358/20210326_081119-1881015.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/11358/20210326_081150-1881014.jpg

Keyed handguard to upper:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/11358/20210326_081235-1881012.jpg

Dual ejectors and chrome-lined carrier:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/11358/20210326_081042-1881016.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/11358/20210326_081020-1881019.jpg

Steel deflector insert (were the ejected cases eating-up the aluminum forging, perhaps?):
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/11358/20210326_081210-1881013.jpg

I haven't shot, yet, but am really looking forward to it.
View Quote

Congrats, your going to love it. Great write up.

Originally Posted By uniquesnd:
Is the 716 it’s own pattern or can you use other uppers? I hat about barrel swaps will it accept DPMS pattern barrels?
View Quote

I have read its proprietary except trigger & buffer/stock components. I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I forgot the pic of the pinned gas block. It is secured with two stout pins, one of which you can see here.

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:27:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Has anyone suppressed this yet? Any positives or negatives, do's or don't we may benefit from?
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone suppressed this yet? Any positives or negatives, do's or don't we may benefit from?
View Quote

I have not, but this is from the Recoil review:

Ejection of all empties was around the 3 o’clock position when shooting unsuppressed, but if you want to run this rifle with a can, you’re well advised to budget for an adjustable gas block. Our QRD 338 suppressor made for an over-gassed situation and more than vigorous ejection.

That last bit about vigorous ejection may answer the question of "why a steel deflector insert?"

I have a can and muzzle device ready for mine, just haven't gotten around to prying off the factory one, yet.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 3:14:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Ejection of all empties was around the 3 o’clock position when shooting unsuppressed, but if you want to run this rifle with a can, you’re well advised to budget for an adjustable gas block. Our QRD 338 suppressor made for an over-gassed situation and more than vigorous ejection.

That last bit about vigorous ejection may answer the question of "why a steel deflector insert?"

I have a can and muzzle device ready for mine, just haven't gotten around to prying off the factory one, yet.
View Quote

@Ex_Sanguine_Nation

I look forward to your write up of your suppressor performance while paired to the 716I.

I found a video of the Indian Army shooting their 716I's and its kind of funny. One Soldier goes flying from the recoil. At least they work.
ASSAM rifles status lover #Shorts#ASSAM_rifles_status Indian army lover status #Indian_army_lover
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:15:48 AM EDT
[#24]

@Ex_Sanguine_Nation

I look forward to your write up of your suppressor performance while paired to the 716I.

I found a video of the Indian Army shooting their 716I's and its kind of funny. One Soldier goes flying from the recoil. At least they work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEFh4svJAnc
View All Quotes

@Ex_Sanguine_Nation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEFh4svJAnc

Will do. I have a large-frame reaction rod coming for doing the muzzle work, so after that should be good to go.

I saw a few of those videos, too. Yeah, not big guys, or some of the most stable firing positions
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Love the AR10. Not a fan of the piston guns though. Pretty much all pistons break at some point. DI all the way for me. Like the double ejectors for the AR10 bolt.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:55:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#26]
I forgot the pic of the pinned gas block. It is secured with two stout pins, one of which you can see here.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/11358/20210326_085334-1881010.jpg
View Quote

To add to this it also has a  rifle length gas tube. Not sure if that matters as much in the AR-10 world.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Indian Army ?? Frontline Weapon ???? ?? ??? ??? SIG716 ASSAULT RIFLE , ????? ???? ?? ???? ?????
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Note: The Midwest Industries reaction rod IS NOT compatible with the 716i.

Be advised.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Various pics from my muzzle device swapping I thought I'd share.

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By GunDisaster:
Love the AR10. Not a fan of the piston guns though. Pretty much all pistons break at some point.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:51:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I know this is no accomplishment but here is a quick clip of a small 10" steel plate at 280yds at a 29° slope angle with the 716I. I think I put 8 out of 11 on the target. I am slowly getting better thats for sure.
SIG 716I TREAD 7.62x51 Prone Supported
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I hope SIG releases a 12.5-13" 716i upper, that would complete the set imo.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:45:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Gunslinger97:
I hope SIG releases a 12.5-13" 716i upper, that would complete the set imo.
View Quote

That would be amazing! Some different barrel chamberings would be awesome too.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Expensive vs. Inexpensive: POF Revolution DI vs. Sig 716i
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#35]
@Ex_Sanguine_Nation

I used some of your photos in this thread on the hide. They helped show several features the 716I has.
   https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/the-sig-716i-tread-308-may-be-the-best-ar-308-ar-10-type-battle-rifle-for-the-money.7080207/#post-9545023
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#36]
@Ex_Sanguine_Nation

I used some of your photos in this thread on the hide. They helped show several features the 716I has.
   https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/the-sig-716i-tread-308-may-be-the-best-ar-308-ar-10-type-battle-rifle-for-the-money.7080207/#post-9545023
View Quote

Thanks for letting me know. Use 'em!
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I blame you guys (well, you guys, and the alcohol) next week I'll have a 716i to put along side my LMT MWS.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 1:50:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Dr_Nimslow:
I blame you guys (well, you guys, and the alcohol) next week I'll have a 716i to put along side my LMT MWS.
View Quote

I am very happy for you. I am sure you will be very pleased. Enjoy your drink!
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#39]

I am very happy for you. I am sure you will be very pleased. Enjoy your drink!
View Quote

The drinks were the other night, when I decided to order it.  I seemed like a really good deal.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 2:20:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#40]

The drinks were the other night, when I decided to order it.  I seemed like a really good deal.
View Quote

Hahaha.... A night at the Casino and some drinks is my usual Modus Operandi to loosen up the bank.

Have you thought about what you plan on doing with the SIG as far as optics and role is concerned?
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Hahaha.... A night at the Casino and some drinks is my usual Modus Operandi to loosen up the bank.

Have you thought about what you plan on doing with the SIG as far as optics and role is concerned?
View Quote

Honestly, I was thinking it would be nice to have a .308 that weighed less than my LMT, that thing is a heavy beast.  And hopefully I'll be able to pick up a 6.5 creedmore barrel for it one of these days, so it will gain even more weight.

For optics, I'll have to see how it shoots first.  But I'm leaning towards the ELCAN specterDR 1.5x6. I don't hunt anymore, so it's strictly a fun gun to punch paper, maybe shoot in the "heavy metal" division at my club's tactical rifle matches.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#42]

Honestly, I was thinking it would be nice to have a .308 that weighed less than my LMT, that thing is a heavy beast.  And hopefully I'll be able to pick up a 6.5 creedmore barrel for it one of these days, so it will gain even more weight.

For optics, I'll have to see how it shoots first.  But I'm leaning towards the ELCAN specterDR 1.5x6. I don't hunt anymore, so it's strictly a fun gun to punch paper, maybe shoot in the "heavy metal" division at my club's tactical rifle matches.
View Quote

Sounds like a great game plan. Can't wait to see it and hear about your first few outings.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#43]
What's up with that big TREAD banner on the handguards that I see in some of the pictures?  Would I be correct to assume that they're removable?

I'm interested, but wary given Sig's habit of pulling the plug on firearms and discontinuing parts.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Be advised.
View Quote

Why is that? Does the 716i have tapered lugs or something?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 9:56:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#45]
Originally Posted By Bret:
What's up with that big TREAD banner on the handguards that I see in some of the pictures?  Would I be correct to assume that they're removable?

I'm interested, but wary given Sig's habit of pulling the plug on firearms and discontinuing parts.
View Quote

@Bret
The yellow Tread logos are MLOK rail covers. They are completely removable.

Also if you've had a bad experience with SIG I understand your apprehension. I too have heard the negative press about SIG but I've never experienced it firsthand. I've only experienced the opposite. Only one SIG out of six that I've owned, my Gen2 556R had issues that required Customer Service help. Even though I was the second owner of the 556R, they handled replacing and installing a new Dust Cover with new Rivets, and a new Firing Pin making it like new. They also never balked or turned me down when I was ordering Short Reset Trigger kits with Short Triggers.
With the Indian Army putting the SIG716I, an AR-308/ AR-10 type rifle into a frontline battle rifle role with 144,000 units purchased, when it comes to support we will be just fine.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:36:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ex_Sanguine_Nation] [#46]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

Be advised.

Upper receiver dimensions appear different from that which the rod was designed for. It gets nowhere near the lugs - doesn't fit the BCG raceway all.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#47]
With the Indian Army putting the SIG716I, an AR-308/ AR-10 type rifle into a frontline battle rifle role with 144,000 units purchased, when it comes to support we will be just fine.
View Quote

That's a very good point.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#48]
I swapped out the factory flash hider today, for a flash hider mount for my SRD762 suppressor.  The factory flash hider was the hardest to remove muzzle device I've ever seen.

I also swapped the trigger with a spare SIG two stage I had in the parts box.  It will do while I wait for a LaRue MBT.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 2:12:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GLD1980] [#49]
I swapped out the factory flash hider today, for a flash hider mount for my SRD762 suppressor.  The factory flash hider was the hardest to remove muzzle device I've ever seen.

I also swapped the trigger with a spare SIG two stage I had in the parts box.  It will do while I wait for a LaRue MBT.
View Quote

@Dr_Nimslow
Sounds great, please post some pics! I am curious to what optic you finally land on and to hear your shooting feedback. You know the 2-10 or 4-16 range with some offset irons might work for you too. I went with a discontinued Nikon 3-12x42SF that has great glass and true adjustments but lacks illumination and I saved a few bucks. I back it up with some Magpul Pro Offsets. It works for me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Just picked one up tonight. I ordered an ambi charging handle from midwest gun works. Thanks for info so far. I will chime in as I get it setup.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top