Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2020 11:09:23 AM EDT
Figured I'd repost over here. A handful of us are putting together a night shoot at Thunder Valley Precision in Kimbolton, OH - halfway between Columbus and Pittsburgh.

They have targets out to 1000 and potentially a mile shot as well. Looking to make good use of the distance to do a bunch of side-by-sides of different illuminators, clip-ons and thermal devices. We'll have thermal targets on hand as well as hot-bodied volunteers on side-by-sides to have downrange for some comparisons in identical conditions to try and capture some things well.

Here's a run-down from Bob at Liberty Arms (email him to sign up - [email protected] ) -

Come and enjoy the company of like minded people from all around. This is a function aimed and allowing people to check out all sorts of products in a meet & greet style. We will have target engagements to 1000yrds, NV and Thermal Targets, Product reviews and
demos. We will have areas of LR shooting, and Carbine/Pistol areas and cold fire sessions for laser/light & gear reviews. This is designed to be a fun and informative gathering allowing us all regardless of cost of equipment to attend, use there equipment, meet and see other products you may want or upgrade to, and learn a little about many products first hand though some demonstrations of them side by side. There is going to be some neat stuff on hand, and we are working on getting more so that we have a wide range of products available. More details to come next week. Feel free to share this via facebook or instagram. ** this is a suppressor only shoot** sorry but that's the way it has to be to get that many people shooting until early morning. Anyone that wanted to attend and does not have one contact me and well see how we can help. I'll have a number of rifles on hand that you can use (bring your ammo) to help get people to be able test out the products there.

Hotels in the area:
Hampton Inn Cambridge 8775 Georgetown Road, Cambridge, OH 43725 ( south of range) approx. 25 min away
Hampton Inn Newcomerstown 200 Morris Crossing, Newcomerstown, OH 43832 ( north of range ) approx. 25min away

Vortex is involved and sending optics for demo use behind clip ons.
Working on steiner demos currently
Working on Holosun Ir lasers, we are getting some models for the event.
Have a Modular Attachment Platform Built for T&E of any products sent up. Will be able to multiple lasers/lights/LRF, and clip-ons/Thermals. We should have a good side by side comparison of many products from one viewing area at multiple ranges. Check out the ones coming for demo, or bring your own and mount them up. Pics Below

Felipe at Elite UAS is running a raffle for an unlocked high power Raptar LRF....... PM him for details.

Here's the full SnipersHide post that has updates:
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/2020-east-coast-night-shoot-10-2-update.7030707/

As a semi-related reminder, I try and keep this list of shoots updated. If anyone has something to add, just hit me up - https://www.jwramp.com/news/night-shoot-venues
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#1]
As with my last little night range demo, please reach out if you have additional devices you'd like to see on the line - happy to take great care of them and get you some awesome shots. Here's what we have scheduled to arrive at the moment:

Clip-Ons:
PVS-24 WP
PVS-24 GP
PVS-27 Photonis 4G
PVS-27 GP
PVS-30
Kac UNS A3 WP

Thermal
COTI
Triji SNIPE IR
Triji REAP IR
Flir PS32
Accolade 2 XP50 LRF

Monocular/Goggle
PVS14 WP
PVS14 GP
MUM 14s GP
PVS14 Elbit WP
RNVG L3 Unfilmed WP
MOD-3 L3 Unfilmed WP
MOD-3 Photonis Hybrid
DTNVG L3 Unfilmed WP

Laser/Light
Wilcox RAPTAR civi
Wilcox RAPTAR full power
Wilcox RAID-X
BE Meyers MAWL-C1+
L3 NGAL
ATPIAL-C
Holosun LE117/117IR/112/111
Steiner DBAL-D2
Steiner OTAL-C
Steiner DBAL-A4
Steiner CQBL
Streamlight TLR VIR
Armasight XLR 850 light
Surefire 600v
Surefire x300v
TNVC TORCH Pro
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
woah, this is cool!  is this gonna be a regular thing?  I don't think I'll be able to make it this year but want to attend future events.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Neat Ill have to see if I can attend
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Dang. I have drill that weekend...

We have a new motto, "one weekend a month is a lie!"

Or

"The one weekend a month that ruins your plans"
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#5]
is this like a long range/ precision only event? Because AFAIK they don't really have a bay for closer ranges?

Edit: NVM I saw the sniperhide post. Sounds a lotta fun
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
woah, this is cool!  is this gonna be a regular thing?  I don't think I'll be able to make it this year but want to attend future events.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Way too early to tell whether it'll be an annual or more frequent event, but there's already been a bunch of interest. Exciting to see some industry folks interested in sending out items as well. I know Felipe is looking forward to showing off his new RAPTAR unlocking service that turns crippled lasers back into their full-powered selves (there's a raffle to win one too). If even half the attendees bring their own gear along we'll have a monster pile of NV goodies to take a look at. Glad to have Thunder Valley excited to host us and with some LE partners already interested in tagging along for the experience.

Quoted:
is this like a long range/ precision only event? Because AFAIK they don't really have a bay for closer ranges?
Edit: NVM I saw the sniperhide post. Sounds a lotta fun

Yeah there'll be closer-range opportunities as well on site, but as Bob described, it's suppressed-fire only to make sure we keep the neighbors happy. No particular time of night when the gunfire needs to stop though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Signed up, looks like fun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Spotted the thread on the hide earlier today thanks to your post in the RAID X thread. I'm looking forward to getting to check out one in person!
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#9]
We gave the mega laser mount a test run last week at our little NV demo in town and are looking forward to loading it up with all sorts of fun units that are lined up for Nov.

Link Posted: 11/10/2020 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got the weekend off. Trying to get registered.

Anyone else from here going?
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just got the weekend off. Trying to get registered.

Anyone else from here going?
View Quote

Excellent - Bob should be taking care of the signups. If you don’t hear back, shoot me a note and I’ll ping him. Am outta town on work this week but will be back Fri and looking forward to the shoot! He’s planning a little competition too for those that want to put a couple bucks up towards a great non-profit I do work with (happy b-day USMC, by the way)
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Impressive list! I can bring a FP peq15 and a FP peq14 that people can check out too.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Impressive list! I can bring a FP peq15 and a FP peq14 that people can check out too.
View Quote

Great. Funny how tough it was trying to convince folks to send demo units to see how their thermals stacked up against each other. 3rd party comparisons like this don’t seem to be as popular as the sponsored content out there...
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Great. Funny how tough it was trying to convince folks to send demo units to see how their thermals stacked up against each other. 3rd party comparisons like this don’t seem to be as popular as the sponsored content out there...
View Quote

Bob sent me the email so i can get paid up. I may not make it there before 5 but I'll stay long enough to have some fun. Ill have my anvis 6s and a pvs14. Im lacking in the laser and illuminator dept so I'll be pumped to see some comparisons. I also would really like to look through some WP tubes, especially unfilmed ones.

I need to give him a call and see if 40mm is alright to bring. Its not suppressed but it's pretty quiet, especially compared to suppressed rifles. I have some glow stick filled rounds that I'd like to try out and I'm working on tracers that use glow stickers
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I need to give him a call and see if 40mm is alright to bring. Its not suppressed but it's pretty quiet, especially compared to suppressed rifles. I have some glow stick filled rounds that I'd like to try out and I'm working on tracers that use glow stickers
View Quote

LOL that's amazing. Guess it depends on how loud the boom is when it impacts... can't imagine it'd be a problem if you've got non-HE stuff though. He's gonna love getting that call.

No worries coming out a little later - look forward to seeing you.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#16]
SGT-Fish, I've got an RNVG with filmless l3 WP tubes + COTI you can play with... if you talk to me about your 40mm loads
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
SGT-Fish, I've got an RNVG with filmless l3 WP tubes + COTI you can play with... if you talk to me about your 40mm loads
View Quote

Sounds like a deal
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is interesting. Fill me in on Saturday if possible.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Darn, that's a bit of a trip for me and too late of notice, but I'm really glad to see that event.  The more of these types of things that can be held the better. We need more bros set-up with NODs and good accessories.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Before this was announced, I had the idea of trying to organize something similar for NV and accessories. Kinda like shot show range day or some of the social media shoots.

Rent a nice range that allows night shooting. Request some dealers and/or manufacturers to attend and sell product on-site. Profit?

I really think there are a lot of people that don't buy NV just because they have never been exposed to it. I won't buy a car I can't test drive, so how likely are people to buy NV they have never touched. Especially with lasers and such.

Of course this is difficult with NV being so backordered and out of stock. But I bet you'd get a lot of orders and sell quite a few lasers, lights, mounts and gain future customers.  

Should be cool to see how this shoot turns out.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Last picture is 2 deer at 1-mile through the recon-V

It was an excellent time and great to meet a lot of cool people and see some great equipment. Not as many new guys as I expected but that didn't really matter. The half a dozen or so guys that didn't have NV were able to borrow pvs-14s, pvs-7s and try on a lot of binos. I definitely was outclassed at that range, as I havent gotten addicted to long range yet, I think i own a pair of binoculars, lol. But I have a great time and I was able to let some guys shoot my suppressed 22lr pistol with the tlr-vir2 on the 50yd range that have never shot under NODs. Seeing people hit the 1000yd steel under total darkness was incredible.  Next year I'll probably have at least a 308 bolt action that I can stretch out.

The laser and illuminator comparison demo was great, and i can't wait to see all of JW's follow up pics and write-up.

I did take the opportunity to bring out my 40mm grenade launchers.  I finally got the opportunity to try out an idea I've had for a while. I loaded mini glow stick inside the projectiles instead of chalk. Not knowing how well it'd work, I launched a round at the 200yd berm and the glow sticks activated on impact and made a nice "splash." It was really only apparent with NV on, which was pretty cool. We went through about a dozen rounds of 40mm, including one that I activated the glow sticks before launching it. It created a dim tracer effect.  I was hoping to also try gluing some glow in the dark stickers to the base of the projectiles, just like the glow ammo that is commercially sold but unfortunately Amazon did not deliver my glow stickers in time. I also need to do some more testing on which miniature glow sticks work best under night vision and spread the best.

Thanks to everyone who helped and planned the event, I can't wait to do more like it in the future
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#23]
And thanks to 13willak for letting me try out the unfilled WP with the coti. Thats a pretty awesome setup. And the outline mode is just sweet

The cloud cover was cool to make it q little more challenging, but i wish we could have done more stargazing. Especially for the new guys
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#24]
It was a great time, well worth the drive from NE PA.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#25]
We had a great time, and thanks again to Bob at Liberty Arms for setting everything up! Thanks to everybody that let me check out their stuff too, I love seeing what all is out there. Looking forward to the next meetup
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm glad I made the trip, and it's neat seeing that other people also thought it was worth putting on some miles to be there.  I should have put more effort into putting names and faces together, though.

EDIT to add a few pics. I know JW's will be far better, though!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#27]
@SGT-Fish thanks again for bringing the launchers. Made a lot of smiles

Link Posted: 11/15/2020 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@SGT-Fish thanks again for bringing the launchers. Made a lot of smiles

https://i.imgur.com/Fs7TbAah.jpg
View Quote

My pleasure. Hopefully next time I will have the glow tracers a little more refined. And an IR aiming laser for the. So we can actually aim with NV on
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 10:28:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Long range NV pics are awesome! You guys were only 70 miles south of us in Garrettesville, I didn't realize that.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's the comparison shots we did with the various illuminators and clip-ons: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/300yd-ir-illuminator-comparison-clip-on-nv-side-by-side.7042345/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top