Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2020 3:50:11 PM EDT
I have a SCAR 17 and would like to use it for nighttime hog hunting with my FLIR PTS536, which currently sits on a 300BLK AR for the same role. However, given the SCAR's reputation, I'm a little leery of feeding it a $4,000 optic. I'm curious how many of y'all are running thermal optics on your SCARs and what your experience has been? Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 5:33:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you reached out to flir and asked in the event that your scar eats it, is it covered?

Without a conformation from flir, I would role those dice
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Original IR Defense (Trijicon) Hunter MKII 5 years strong on the 17 and suppressed. Not a single issue (Night hunts and a couple deer)...I did not re-up and apparently I need a membership to upload pics

ETA: I spoke with the original owner of IR Defense, Scott I believe was his name, before my purchase and asked about it handing the SCAR. He said they did durability testing using a Barrett 50 and that it would handle the SCAR no problem. This has been my experience. Not sure what Trijicon’s warranty  view is.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone with a LWTS have issues?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, I contacted Trijicon twice; one by email and the other by phone and both times was told I'm good to go. Exact words: 'it might go dark for a second with the recoil but no way you can hurt it'. I got it in writing as well just in case. A few years ago, I was trying to get some info from FLIR on a thermal I had (RS32) and what a nightmare that was....never again. Trijicon CS has always been responsive and quick for me; have owned a lot of ACOG's and Accupoints over the years.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 5:48:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Armasight’s CS went all to crap when Flir bought them out, and I can’t imagine it’s gotten better since Flir decided they don’t want to play in that space anymore.

My SCAR 17 SBR killed a perst-3, so I’m wary of electronics on the platform. My 20 ate a $700 optic also.

If you really want a thermal on a SCAR, I’d make sure it’s with someone that will really stand behind their product.

Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Scar 17's are hard on optics.
Unless the thermal manufacturer puts it in writing I would not do it on my dime.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#7]
My scar 17 gave my Trijicon UTCXII some dead pixels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top