Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2018 10:31:53 AM EDT
Can you help the undecided? Like most around here I have considerably more .223/5.56 ammo than .308/7.62. Same goes for rifles and mags. (I have zero SCAR 17 mags) Money isn't as big a thing as it used to be so I can fix the ammo & mag poor thing. That said, which would you get. The SCAR 16 or 17? Going to pick one next week. I will get whichever I don't buy probably in the next 12 months as well. Which would you get first?
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 10:41:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can you help the undecided? Like most around here I have considerably more .223/5.56 ammo than .308/7.62. Same goes for rifles and mags. (I have zero SCAR 17 mags) Money isn't as big a thing as it used to be so I can fix the ammo & mag poor thing. That said, which would you get. The SCAR 16 or 17? Going to pick one next week. I will get whichever I don't buy probably in the next 12 months as well. Which would you get first?
View Quote
I've been down this road several times and have purchased, then sold, both the SCAR 16 and 17.

The 17 is just a lot of fun because it is 7.62 NATO, makes a horrifically loud noise when you shoot, thanks to the muzzle brake on it, I mean it is truly and completely insanely loud. Whenever I shot it at my gun club a crowd would gather at the shooting bay I was in. And I sunk money into it extending the rail, etc. etc. But I eventually sold it just because, well, it was not something I was using very much.

The 16 is, in my opinion, going to be the better choice for most folks precisely because it is less punishing and expensive to shoot and to buy and maintain.

But in the end I got rid of my SCAR rifles because I wanted to stick with the standard AR platform, the one I am most familiar with, shoot the best and have all the parts and equipment for.

SCARs are fun to own and it is a very tough choice, but there you go, good luck on your search and decision.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 11:32:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
. The SCAR 16 or 17?
View Quote
i would never buy a 16, the AR is too good.

The 17 would be my choice if you want a 308 rifle
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the 17, then get an XCR and compare them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Get both  
or go be poor some where else.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I’d buy the 17 in .308/7.62.

If you really want 5.56, check out the CZ Bren 805.  It is much cheaper than the Scar but very similar and it uses AR mags.  I paid $1250 shipped
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends on what you want to do with them / why you want to buy them. I've got both and they serve different purposes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for your help fellas. Appreciate it! Just for data sake to help you help me I’ll list a couple things I already have.

I already have at least 30 ARs. As you can see I like the 5.56 cartridge but I have  a few other calibers as well.  Lol! Also have a few Armalite AR10s.

A few others I have are XCR, Bren 805, Aug, Tavor SAR, X-95, FS2000 and others. AKs, HKs, Galils...blah blah.

I will be getting whichever SCAR I don’t pick this coming week in the near future.  So the goal is both SCARs. Also will be getting the Tavor 7 and another Aug.

So with that in mind, for this coming week should I go heavy or light?
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like you'll be adding to your nice collection, in which case I'd say grab the one you can find the best deal on right now. A 16 would probably be nice since you can directly compare it to all your other 5.56 stuff right away.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like you'll be adding to your nice collection, in which case I'd say grab the one you can find the best deal on right now. A 16 would probably be nice since you can directly compare it to all your other 5.56 stuff right away.
View Quote
Thanks! Kind of leaning that way. There are a few ok deals out there on the 16. Not so much for the 17. I hear a lot of positive things about the 17. Neither are cheap but the 17 has stayed high lately.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#10]
17 is the only way to go with this platform!
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#11]
16 then file form 1 ASAP. The 16 is one of the coolest SBR's IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:01:01 AM EDT
[#12]
17 because the 16 is just a really expensive AR.  If you want 556 get a SR15 if you want 762 the 17 is what you seek.

I went 17 and could not be happier.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:06:44 AM EDT
[#13]
17>16
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:16:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I already have ARs, FALs, AKs, etc. I would not buy either. I can afford both, but neither appeal to me. So, there ya are.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:24:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Man, I’m going to have to whip out the magic 8 ball. Lol! Might have to go 17 first with availability being kind of sketchy and prices looking like they are going to climb.

The more I research the Tavor 7 it makes me want to go all in on .308 too for when it comes out. Probably should start buying mags now.

That said I know the 16 doesn’t offer huge advantages but I have to get one at some point just because.

I appreciate the feedback. You guys are always big help with spending money. The wife hates you though. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:28:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I already have ARs, FALs, AKs, etc. I would not buy either. I can afford both, but neither appeal to me. So, there ya are.
View Quote
Well you aren’t going to be able to live in a cardboard box for your retirement like me with that kind of attitude.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well you aren't going to be able to live in a cardboard box for your retirement like me with that kind of attitude.
View Quote
How do you think that I can afford both?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#18]
SCAR 17.  I love mine.

I know theres "this" and "that" 7.62/.308 people will compare to the 17, but if you want a SCAR and have to decide between the two, I think theres just way too many options for a 5.56 rifle that compare too closely to the 16 to find it worth buying if you have to make the choice while I, personally, think the SCAR 17 stands alone.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#19]
SCAR 16. I too had far more 5.56 and had the same decision to make, I've been very happy with the 16
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks for your help fellas. Appreciate it! Just for data sake to help you help me I’ll list a couple things I already have.

I already have at least 30 ARs. As you can see I like the 5.56 cartridge but I have  a few other calibers as well.  Lol! Also have a few Armalite AR10s.

A few others I have are XCR, Bren 805, Aug, Tavor SAR, X-95, FS2000 and others. AKs, HKs, Galils...blah blah.

I will be getting whichever SCAR I don’t pick this coming week in the near future.  So the goal is both SCARs. Also will be getting the Tavor 7 and another Aug.

View Quote
Neither. Up your nods game.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Mk17 for the win
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had both.

Sold the SCAR 16 as it didn't do any more than what a good AR could do.

Kept the SCAR 17, it'll be the LAST rifle I would ever sell...
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 2:44:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt I do need to do that.

However, looks like tomorrow or the next day it will be the 17 if I can find a semi reasonable price.

Thanks again all!
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've been down this road several times and have purchased, then sold, both the SCAR 16 and 17.

The 17 is just a lot of fun because it is 7.62 NATO, makes a horrifically loud noise when you shoot, thanks to the muzzle brake on it, I mean it is truly and completely insanely loud. Whenever I shot it at my gun club a crowd would gather at the shooting bay I was in. And I sunk money into it extending the rail, etc. etc. But I eventually sold it just because, well, it was not something I was using very much.

The 16 is, in my opinion, going to be the better choice for most folks precisely because it is less punishing and expensive to shoot and to buy and maintain.

But in the end I got rid of my SCAR rifles because I wanted to stick with the standard AR platform, the one I am most familiar with, shoot the best and have all the parts and equipment for.

SCARs are fun to own and it is a very tough choice, but there you go, good luck on your search and decision.
View Quote
This is pretty close to y experience. I bought the 16S and shot/loved it. It was loud as hell, but had zero recoil and was sufficiently ergonomic.

But it was heavier than an AR, I never used the folding stock feature and the Super SCAR trigger is really costly. I got rid of the SCAR in favor of a high end AR.

The 17 is a different animal as it’s a light, low recoil, solidly accurate .308. It outperforms most of the .308 battle rifles in its class. It would be so much easier to justify the purchase if it were so damned expensive (and the 16S too!).

I own no SCARs now, but I miss my 16 at least a little bit. I’d buy a 17 now, though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Scar 17.

I bought the 17 and do not regret it at all.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 4:35:56 AM EDT
[#26]
I have both. I bought the 16 first and found it fun so I SBR'd it. The 17 is in another league though. If I need to use a rifle, it's the 17 I grab instead of any other rifle I own. The accuracy, weight and power combo is extremely difficult to match. I've used it out to 1000 yards and with a 10x vortex I can hit a man size target 17 out of 20 times.

The 16 is a toy, the 17 is a tool.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 6:15:50 AM EDT
[#27]
I’ve owned and sold a shitload of guns. Owned a gun store so was able to finger a lot of different guns. Been lucky enough to work most in semi and full. The 16, while a blast in F/A as an SBR, and just a great gun over all, isn’t really worth the cost over a AR unless you are wanting to impress folks.
The 17 however is THE finest battle rifle ever designed. I bought my first one after messing with a buddies, sold it during a panic then bought another. Sold that one etc etc.
Long story short out of all the guns I’ve sold only the Scar17 has been the one I’ve bought again, and again. Three times in fact.
Buy a 17, put some good glass on it and be amazed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Another vote for the 17. Even though I've spent stupid amounts of money on mine I've never felt buyer's remorse and it's far and away my most favorite rifle.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I’m sort of in the neither crowd here as well. I was all about them and wanted to get a 17 forever. I ended up getting an awesome deal on a Cz Bren which is basically a 16. I love my Bren and it shoots awesome and does everything it’s supposed to. Then again, it really does nothing better than an AR either. That is why I say neither. I’m happy with my Cz but if i had to do it over again, I probably would’ve just gotten another ar or two. They run just as well, are more familiar, parts are dirt cheap and produced by every gun company in America, and they can change configurations very easily.

Break a bolt with a scar or a Cz Bren and there’s only one expensive source. With an AR, you could probably drive 5 minutes to your local gunshop and get one. As for the 17, it is a lot more practical than the 16 for the above reasons, but still, AR10’s these days can compete very well with one for way less money.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm a little late to this party, but I chose the 16 over the 17 for three reasons.

1. Ammo is cheaper and smaller, so easier to purchase and store.

2. The 5.56 round is also more comfortable for my wife and kids to shoot.

3. The 16 was several hundred dollars cheaper than the 17 when I bought mine a few years ago.  While it's still an expensive rifle, I was able to put that money toward an optic.  The rifle is a range toy for me, anyway.

I'd love to get a 17, but I'm very happy with my 16.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm in the same situation as you, I want to get at least one of them or both this year.

I also have others 5 AR, 2 AK, Steyr AUG A1, Galil AR carbine, SKS, Uzi and a USGI 1950s DCM M1 Garand.

I had 7.62 rifles before a Springfield M1A National Match and British type FAL L1A1, they're both fun to shoot.

In my opinion for a more fun to shoot the 17 would be nice to get first, then get the 16 later, the 17 I also heard have a better design than the other.

Myself it would probably whatever I could find first, the 16 I know is just sitting at my local gun shop right now, for 7.62 I might get an AR type first because they're more affordable before I go for the 17.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 4:45:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Get both, sbr 16 and you're GTG.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 3:08:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Well crud. This is proving to be a difficult venture. I can find plenty of black ones. I want a FDE 17s and finally found one. They say they have one in stock anyway. For some reason it won't let me checkout though. Not sure if it's because they don't have my FFL on file or it's out of stock. The funds are there. I'll have to call them Monday I guess.

Thanks again for all the input. You guys were big help. Appreciate it!
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Figured out the problem with ordering. I was contacted by a fella at Interstate Guns. He said they have been having problems with their website and apologized for that. Also said they didn't actually have any SCAR 17s in stock anyway even though it shows they do and let's you add to cart. He didn't know when they would have another. Lol! The search continues....
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:08:47 AM EDT
[#35]
I have contact with a lot of distributors and I had to go through gunbroker to get one
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have contact with a lot of distributors and I had to go through gunbroker to get one
View Quote
I feel your pain. Im getting burned out looking. Unreal how many old ads pop up and give you hope for a second.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I know a local guy that has a FDE 17 for sale.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 4:29:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Well I ended up buying a black one. Weird thing happened shortly after I ordered. 3 FDE ones popped up on GB from the same seller. He doesn't take credit card so it didn't matter.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#39]
The Scar 16 is pointless. Does the exact same thing as my high end ARs just with less rail space, reciprocating charging handle, and shitty sling attachments. All while sporting an exorbitant price tag. I sold mine and don’t miss it at all...

While the 17 suffers from the same issues, it is one of the better options for a .308 battle rifle.  It’s the propriety non SR25 pattern magazine that kills it for me personally.

With the Tavor 7 relasing this year, that would be my choice or an AR10 pattern rifle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Can't argue with much of that. /\ But even with the illogical mag choice, still have to have one. Agree about the Tavor 7. Have to have one of those. Looks like I get to spend lots of money on mags this year.

Had a change of plans on the rifle I initially ordered. It was eating at me getting the black 17. Really wanted FDE. The place had not shipped or processed the order yet and was nice enough to let me cancel. As much as I hate doing checks or MO to non established gun shops, I sent a check to a private party on GB for an FDE 17. Hopefully won't regret that decision. He has solid longtime feedback so I'm confident all will go well but it definitely made me sweat committing to that.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#41]
When I first decided to buy my SCAR 17 I knew that I had no interest in the SCAR 16 because I already had 5.56 rifles covered with my AR15 and Steyr Aug. I saw no point in a 5.56 caliber SCAR. I've had my SCAR 17 for about 5 years and still have no interest in a 5.56 version. I don't need or want a 5.56 version. The Steyr Aug is the best 5.56 rifle I own and I do not think the SCAR 16 is any better. Also, I prefer the advantage the Steyr Aug has over the SCAR 16 in shorter overall length and the quick change barrels.

Also, I bought a Stryker Ind. aluminum lower receiver for my SCAR 17 that allows me to use MagPul 25 rd magazines. And, I replaced the trigger group with a Geissele Super Scar trigger group. I also changed out the muzzle brake with an AAC flash hider/suppressor mount. I have zero interest in a 5.56 SCAR.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#42]
I’ve got enough AR and AK sbrs so wanted to be different.

End result is pretty awesome. Does it do anything one of the AR’s won’t do? No, but it’s fun as shit to shoot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 2:40:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Hands down a 17 first!  I have ZERO REGRETS!

T
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I know your decision is made, but I tend to agree with this gentleman. A very, very, useful tool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top