Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2018 7:51:36 PM EDT
Looking for advice please.  Every 4-5 mags, when I reload from an open bolt, I get a failure to feed.  The top round angles up toward the chamber but goes no further.  It seems like there is almost not enough spring strength to close the bolt but this may just be me comparing it to 30 years of shooting an AR.  The SCAR is new with only a few hundred rounds through it.  Im using quality brass ammo and Gen 3 Magpul mags.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking for advice please.  Every 4-5 mags, when I reload from an open bolt, I get a failure to feed.  The top round angles up toward the chamber but goes no further.  It seems like there is almost not enough spring strength to close the bolt but this may just be me comparing it to 30 years of shooting an AR.  The SCAR is new with only a few hundred rounds through it.  Im using quality brass ammo and Gen 3 Magpul mags.

View Quote
Some polymer mags will push up on the bolt catch. Insert a Pmag with a round in the mag and see if it is pushing up on it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 11:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Use some lancers or gi mags.  If the problem goes away its your pmags.  If its the pmags contact magpul.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#3]
It appears to not be magazine specific. Quality GI mags and lancers included.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 8:33:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to have an issue with one AR where if I seated the magazine to authoritatively the top round would partially pop out and point upward, creating issues with feeding.

Just throwing that out there...YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have this issue with Lancer mags in my SCAR.  It works fine with USGI's.  What brand of USGI's are you using?
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 12:12:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks. C products, ok, fn
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Two issues I've seen that have caused this are inserting the magazine with enough force to fully or partially eject a round from the magazine, and accidentally loading 31 rounds into a 30 round magazine (extremely common with PMAGs).
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Agreed but neither of those apply to this. I wish it was my fault. Thank you though.

I called FN and they  spoke to the gunsmith who said they have never heard of this issue. They said to send it back.

After a little research I have found a couple people with the same issue  but never any details on if it was ever fixed.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Agreed but neither of those apply to this. I wish it was my fault. Thank you though.

I called FN and they  spoke to the gunsmith who said they have never heard of this issue. They said to send it back.

After a little research I have found a couple people with the same issue  but never any details on if it was ever fixed.
View Quote
Please let us know what FN says.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:02:47 PM EDT
[#10]
is the bolt fully locking to the rear on empty?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:58:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes it is.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#12]
My SCAR 16 does the same thing.  Especially, if i hold the rifle on an angle when engaging the Bolt Catch.  It's really frustrating but it's magazine specific.  Factory FN work great, some old Colt mags and D and H aluminum.  The other option is pull the charging handle back on emergency reloads instead of the bolt catch.  Using the charging handle works every time regardless of magazine.  This is what I do now.   The speed is the same as using the Bolt Catch.

Regards,

Craig
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I've only ever had FTFeed with one specific type of Winchester soft points. OTOH, I almost always bump the CH to release the bolt when reloading. I find that it's a much bigger target to hit in a hurry than the bolt release.

AJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top