Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2023 12:14:47 PM EDT
I heard there was a recent change that import markings are no longer allowed on the barrel instead of the receiver, and was wondering if SBR engraving was still allowed on the barrel?  Haven’t heard that changed for SBRs, but wanted to make sure.  TIA.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 12:39:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#1]
I always understood that it had to be in a visible place on the serialized receiver.

Not aware of any changes.

Link Posted: 10/25/2023 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By _DR:

I always understood that it had to be in a visible place on the serialized receiver.

Not aware of any changes.

View Quote

What about on a glock, or other polymer pistol?
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Guess you’re right.  Must have been thinking of something else.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Braveheart:

What about on a glock, or other polymer pistol?
View Quote

On the frame, always on the receiver/frame. If there are two parts to the receiver, it has to be on the one that has the serial number.

Link Posted: 10/25/2023 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#5]

On the frame, always on the receiver/frame. If there are two parts to the receiver, it has to be on the one that has the serial number.

View Quote

That's what I had inferred as well.  And just now searched again after researching this some time ago.  People suggest that the metal requirements are for the serial number only I guess then?  As in, the manufacturer and location on an OEM glock is on the polymer, so therefore the engraving for SBR manufacturing could also be then.  From what it seems. Unless I'm further mistaken?
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 2:59:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#6]
It must now be on the frame.  The law changed in 2022 that made it this way, it used to be permitted on the barrel or the slide in the case of a pistol.

The law reads currently:

27 CFR   479.102

(a) Identification required. Except as otherwise provided in this section, you, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) Serial number, name, place of business. By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or otherwise placed on the frame or receiver thereof, an individual serial number, in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed. The serial number must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. The frame or receiver must also be marked with either: Your name (or recognized abbreviation), and city and State (or recognized abbreviation) where you as a manufacturer or importer maintain your place of business, or in the case of a maker, where you made the firearm; or if a manufacturer or importer, your name (or recognized abbreviation) and the serial number that begins with your abbreviated Federal firearms license number, which is the first three and last five digits, as a prefix to a unique identification number, followed by a hyphen, e.g., "12345678-[unique identification number]"; and

(2) Model, caliber or gauge, foreign manufacturer, country of manufacture. By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver, or barrel or pistol slide (if applicable) thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed. The additional information shall include:

(i) The model, if such designation has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) When applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker; and

(iv) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which it was manufactured. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/26/2023 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By willi3d:
I heard there was a recent change that import markings are no longer allowed on the barrel instead of the receiver, and was wondering if SBR engraving was still allowed on the barrel?  Haven’t heard that changed for SBRs, but wanted to make sure.  TIA.
View Quote

No, rule was changed 08/22.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Negative,  OP.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#9]
My understanding is it has to be on the receiver.  I had my lower engraved inside the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I believe you can mark caliber on the barrel (if your receiver has no caliber or "multi") as long as it meets the size/depth requirements and it's visible.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Well this sucks. So you’re telling me that I have to engrave my AA Uzi receiver vs doing the barrel now?

Pretty obnoxious seeing the barrel change could take it back to non NFA state for a potential resale.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:19:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I wonder where people are engraving the trigger pack on Springfield Echelon pistols?  Not much space on there, particularly if some has a trust with a long name.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 1:45:15 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
That's my understanding.   However,  I am neither ATF nor 2A lawyer.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top