Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2021 1:08:57 AM EDT
I purchased an Uzi parts kit back in the 90’s for $99. It came with everything I needed including receiver sections, a folding and wood stock. I had planned to do a reweld but It was beyond my abilities so I basically did nothing with it and figured I trashed it years ago. Then last summer I was cleaning out the garage and found it stashed in an old tool box.  It was in great shape and still had cosmoline on it from where ever I purchased it from. In January I finally decided to get serious about it and bought a fully welded receiver and SA bolt from McKay Industries. The build was a breeze and fun to do. A buddy of mine had a spare 16” Uzi barrel that he loaned me to make sure my build worked and it shot great both suppressed and I suppressed. The thing is, a 16” barrel looks kind of hokey and I want to run a 10.5 or 8.5” barrel. So I am planning to SBR it and then buy a new shorter barrel.

I read on Uzi talk that people engrave the barrel for their SBR. I didn’t know this was possible and thought it had to be on the receiver. What happens if you want to change barrel sizes and can you do this if the barrel is the engraved part. Has anyone engraved their barrel vs receiver and what is the benefit of doing it this way?
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:39:15 AM EDT
[#1]
the barrel is not the place to engrave a class three weapon, especially on an Uzi which has the worlds easiest barrel change.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Remove Uzi top cover , engrave info on top middle of left side .Add cover back on ..info is basically not obtrusive and you should be good to go Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I engraved both of mine on the underside where the stock folds into.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the barrel is not the place to engrave a class three weapon, especially on an Uzi which has the worlds easiest barrel change.
View Quote

Wrong.

You can engrave the barrel, frame, receiver, and slide, per the atf.  It only need to be engraved while it's an nfa item.  So the barrel is fine.  Cause when you remove the barrel, it's not an sbr, so it doesn't need to be engraved.

Same with a pistol slide.  If you sbr a glock, you can engrave the slide.  That comes off from the serialized receiver even easier than an uzi barrel.

Lots of guys engrave their small AR barrels.  When the short upper is on the gun, it's an sbr with engravings.  When you swap with a long upper, it's just a rifle again.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yea. Atf clearly says barrel is ok.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I engraved both of mine on the underside where the stock folds into.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wrong.

You can engrave the barrel, frame, receiver, and slide, per the atf.  It only need to be engraved while it's an nfa item.  So the barrel is fine.  Cause when you remove the barrel, it's not an sbr, so it doesn't need to be engraved.

Same with a pistol slide.  If you sbr a glock, you can engrave the slide.  That comes off from the serialized receiver even easier than an uzi barrel.

Lots of guys engrave their small AR barrels.  When the short upper is on the gun, it's an sbr with engravings.  When you swap with a long upper, it's just a rifle again.
View Quote

barrels wear out durrrr
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

barrels wear out durrrr
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

barrels wear out durrrr

Wearing out an uzi barrel on a semi auto is not something to be concerned about. Plus it's not like you can't just engrave a replacement barrel if you had to. The major benefit of engraving the barrel is that you can easily return it to title 1 configuration and sell it if you wanted to without the negative selling point of your info being engraved on the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You're incorrect.  Reference 27 CFR § 479.102(a)(2)

§ 479.102 How must firearms be identified?
(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:
(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

A slide is neither a frame, nor a receiver, nor a barrel.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Barrel is the best place on an Uzi, since original Action Arms Uzi hold value if they are not marked up. Obviously you get an spare barrel, and do not use the factory barrel. Thus you can go back to factory config with ease.

On a clone, I doubt any value is lost engraving the receiver.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Actually, he’s correct.

That’s because when those regulations were written, nobody had pistol-based SBRs. In 2013, they put it in writing that the pistol slide was an acceptable location.

ATF Ruling 2013-3
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're incorrect.  Reference 27 CFR § 479.102(a)(2)

A slide is neither a frame, nor a receiver, nor a barrel.

Actually, he’s correct.

That’s because when those regulations were written, nobody had pistol-based SBRs. In 2013, they put it in writing that the pistol slide was an acceptable location.

ATF Ruling 2013-3

Huh, I learned something new today.  It'd be nice if the ATF would update the CFR whenever they make rulings like this.

Pistol-ish SBRs aren't really anything new though.  Stuff like stocked Mauser C96's and Browning Hi-Powers have been around for decades.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Huh, I learned something new today.  It'd be nice if the ATF would update the CFR whenever they make rulings like this.

Pistol-ish SBRs aren't really anything new though.  Stuff like stocked Mauser C96's and Browning Hi-Powers have been around for decades.
View Quote

ATF lacks the authority to "update" the CFR - hence they issue rulings
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

ATF lacks the authority to "update" the CFR - hence they issue rulings
View Quote

ATF is the authority to update the CFR. It is just a long process with a comment period. Letters and rulings can be issued in a day.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
ATF is the authority to update the CFR. It is just a long process with a comment period. Letters and rulings can be issued in a day.
View Quote

True, but they've had almost 8 years since they issued that ruling letter.  I realize it is the government, but that should be plenty of time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah my bad, I was thinking USC and it took "an act of congress"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top