Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2021 1:49:45 PM EDT
I scoured the internet for the info I was looking for and ultimately couldn't find much on this new option for a 10/22 stock/chassis.  So I bought one and am posting as much info as I can here.  SB Tactical - you're welcome for the free publicity!

Background

I've had an SBR'd 10/22 (non-takedown) receiver for many years.  I made it before the takedown models came out with the intent of creating a backpacking gun that I could throw into a bag for when I'm centerfire hunting.  I've looked at nearly every commercial option, including modifying something off the shelf and even designing and 3D printing my own chassis to drop my receiver into.  I've taken some hard looks at PMACA and Enoch systems, but I just wanted something simpler.  Those systems are also quite a bit more expensive and to me, just don't look cool.

Lo and behold, just as I'm starting to put my 3D printer together I see Kit Badger's video on the new SB Tactical SB22.  I'm a design engineer by day and this was LITERALLY exactly what I was imagining making in my head.  So I bought one (Brownells - $103 shipped with coupon) and got it today.

My 10/22 is pretty standard.  It has a few of the typical upgrades (bolt buffer, VQ hammer, bolt release mods, etc.).  My intent is to purchase a Whistle Pig gun barrel to go in this SBR.  I also have a SIG MCX folding stock assembly that I'm thinking of using for this...more info below.

Construction

This part is really well made.  Feels high quality...close to something Magpul or BCM would make.  The product description says it is built around an "aluminum insert".  If you've ever looked at other polymer 10/22 stocks, the biggest challenge in designing one is to "fill in" the end around the back of the receiver.  SB tactical put the aluminum here to fill in the space that couldn't be molded.  The aluminum forms the structure the grip bolts into, and sticks out the back for the 1913 rail.  This reinforces the weak points in an AR style 10/22 chassis, but note that everything forward of the grip is 100% polymer.  That being said, the walls and ribs are very thick, and I think this thing would survive quite a bit of abuse without breaking.

My 10/22 assembly fits pretty tightly in the chassis.  I had to use the assembly screw to drive the receiver into the chassis, and there are small gaps at the back of the receiver and behind the trigger guard.  It looks like the "inlet" is off by a bit.  Not enough to get me to return it, but it isn't "perfect".  This is similar to the fit seen in this video, too.  So it's probably not just my 10/22.

I also wish the screws that secure the cover over the barrel were allen head...just because.

Front End

What is the shortest barrel that will work in this chassis?

The end of the stock measures 6.25" from the receiver face to the end of the stock.  The "tang" of a 10/22 barrel extends 3/4" past the receiver face, meaning a 7" barrel will be exactly flush with the end of the chassis.  I intend to run a can, so Whistle Pig's 8" barrel will have a gap of 1/2" between the end of the chassis and the start of the threads.   Perfect for me, since I'm going to be running a suppressor on this gun.

Can I nest my can into the chassis?

Yes...if your can is less than 1.000" in diameter.  The space between the two forward screw bosses for the top cover measure 1.000" exactly at the bore centerline.  The SB Tactical box shows a Q Erector suppressor, which according to Q is exactly .99" in diameter...probably a very close fit.  My Dead Air Mask 22 (1.070") is just too wide to fit.

Does this come with the stock screw?

No.  You have to provide your own screw to secure the action in the chassis.

Back End

How does the MCX folding stock fit on this?

Ok.  All the publicity I've seen shows either a triangle brace or their FS1913 brace.  Both have lower profile hinge assemblies than the MCX stock does, and with the MCX stock the hinge digs into my hand.  It isn't bad enough to keep me from using it, but I can imagine having a lower profile hinge assembly would work a lot better.  Switching the supplied Reptilia grip for a Magpul K grip makes things worse.  The K is slightly less upright, which drives my hand into the hinge more.  If you're left handed, all of this is less of an issue since the web of your hand is on the other side of the hinge.

With everything that's going on maybe I can find someone looking to dump their FS1913 brace so I can modify it with my 3D printer to turn it into a stock for my SBR.

Length of pull with the MCX stock is 11.75".  Short, but works great for a backpacking gun.  It folds up great - other than the hinge issue it looks like it was made for the chassis.

Top End

What about optics/sights?  That stock looks high.

As others have found out, the drop to a straight 1913 stock is short.  It looks to be pretty close to AR dimensions, meaning you'll have to use AR risers on a pic rail on top.  I intend to mount a Vortex Venom on this gun.  With no riser, it's way too short.  

Shown here is a 3/4" riser which gives what feels to me like a "lower 1/3rd" position on an AR.  I have a slightly lower riser on order which I think will be perfect for me.

Summary

How much does this weigh?

My setup (standard Ruger receiver) with no stock, barrel, optics or magazine is 35.7 oz.  The MCX stock brings it up to 47.3 oz.  I'm guessing it'll be right at 55 oz. (3 lb. 7 oz) with an 8" Whistle Pig barrel.  For reference, a TacSol Backpacker (with an 8" barrel) is right at 3 lbs.  Kitted up with my optic and a full 10 round mag I'm guessing it'll be under 4 lb total ready to go.  

How long is it?

With an 8" barrel and the MCX stock it'll be just under 24.25" long.  16.75" long with the stock folded (about 2.75" shorter than the TacSol Backpacker disassembled).  Folded, it'll easily fit in my 5.11 Moab 10 daypack.

So what do you think?

Overall I'm pretty happy with it.  It's very light, very compact and is well thought out.    The hinge issue is annoying for me, but I'm guessing they didn't intend for folks to use the MCX stock with this set up.  Lord how I wish someone would come up with a 1913 minimalist stock that's longer and less expensive with a smaller hinge assembly (hint...SB Tactical).

I hope SB Tactical is successful making these...for sure there are dark clouds on the horizon for them and they should diversify into other parts categories.  I think this offering splits the difference between overly tacticool stocks/chassis systems and the PMACA/Enoch solutions which are very functional, but are lacking in visual refinement in addition to being relatively expensive.  Again, I love the 1913 stock system...I just wish there were more/less expensive stock options that leverage that attachment scheme.

Let me know if there's anything else you want to know and I'll update my post.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the write up! I recently learned of this as well, and I really like it... I will have to pick one up.

Website shows it is $125 currently. This looks like a winner to me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Great write up.  I was looking at those over the weekend but could not find much info on them.  You answered the questions I had.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 1:02:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m sending mine back for a few reasons.  First, without major filing and dremel work, my 90’s era 10/22 will NOT fit into the chassis.  I guess SB tactical knows this and will be fixing the fitment issues with some models.  Second, the chassis will NOT fit a suppressor under the handguard that is normal size (meaning larger than the bull barrel).  That means any of us with a sparrow, mask, oculus or anything over the size of something like a Q can is shit out of luck without some more major dremel work.  In addition the top cover will not fit over a suppressor.  The last issue is the cheek comb.  It is too high to get a proper cheek weld on a folding brace/stock (for my sbr) to see your micro red dot mounted to the receiver without some type of riser.  This could have been a home run but they really missed the boat on some must haves for a lot of us.  Buyer beware.

This is pushing out both sides of the handguard to fit the can inside.  You cannot screw the can down.

I dremeled the tabs off and around the bottom to fit the can.  It fits now but you lose the ability to put the top cover on (I’m okay with that) but it looks ugly now from the top view.

Ultimately it looks good but with no ability to see the sights and having to crush my face into the stock to see the dot, the poor fitment and need to dremel to make the suppressor fit.

This one is being sent back.  Hopefully they’ll listen and version 2 will address some of these issues.  When I talked to them today they didn’t seem to care about my feedback.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m sending mine back for a few reasons...  
View Quote

As for them responding to feedback, it's a bit too late for that.  They're a small company and modifying tooling is expensive.  I think it's going to be what it's going to be.  I've spent my whole career developing consumer products...I'm always surprised that gun companies don't do a better job of getting these things right.  

I think they either should have made that channel 1.100" to fit most suppressors (making the stock a little wider), or they shouldn't have shown an Erector on the box.  Sends the wrong message.  That's why I don't have my barrel yet - I wanted to find out these answers for myself before committing to spending more money.  If they'd have done any research they would have know that many folks would want to recess their cans into the handguard.  

As for the red dot/riser issue, the only way around this is to cant the stock down towards the shoulder.  Then the problem is that when folded the stock would be above the top of the chassis.  There's not a good way to do that.  You could also drop the attachment point 3/4", but that would mess with the grip.  To my knowledge, other chassis systems have the same issues.  Again, they're showing a micro red dot on their box with no riser...clearly not what most people will be able to use.   The optic riser issue is just bad advertising...there's no good way to solve that problem on a 10/22.

My receiver fitment is just ok (my 10/22 is of 2015 vintage).  Clearly the fit is off for most people...they need to tweak it to get it right.  I designed the CZ Scorpion Tailhook brace adapter for Yeti Wurks and made 5 3D printed prototypes before I felt the fitment was right.  I'm not sure why SB didn't bother to spend another $600 and get a few 10/22 receivers/trigger housings off Gunbroker from different manufacture dates to make sure they had a good fit.  Magpul obviously did when they made their stocks.

William
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

As for them responding to feedback, it's a bit too late for that.  They're a small company and modifying tooling is expensive.  I think it's going to be what it's going to be.  I've spent my whole career developing consumer products...I'm always surprised that gun companies don't do a better job of getting these things right.  

I think they either should have made that channel 1.100" to fit most suppressors (making the stock a little wider), or they shouldn't have shown an Erector on the box.  Sends the wrong message.  That's why I don't have my barrel yet - I wanted to find out these answers for myself before committing to spending more money.  If they'd have done any research they would have know that many folks would want to recess their cans into the handguard.  

As for the red dot/riser issue, the only way around this is to cant the stock down towards the shoulder.  Then the problem is that when folded the stock would be above the top of the chassis.  There's not a good way to do that.  You could also drop the attachment point 3/4", but that would mess with the grip.  To my knowledge, other chassis systems have the same issues.  Again, they're showing a micro red dot on their box with no riser...clearly not what most people will be able to use.   The optic riser issue is just bad advertising...there's no good way to solve that problem on a 10/22.

My receiver fitment is just ok (my 10/22 is of 2015 vintage).  Clearly the fit is off for most people...they need to tweak it to get it right.  I designed the CZ Scorpion Tailhook brace adapter for Yeti Wurks and made 5 3D printed prototypes before I felt the fitment was right.  I'm not sure why SB didn't bother to spend another $600 and get a few 10/22 receivers/trigger housings off Gunbroker from different manufacture dates to make sure they had a good fit.  Magpul obviously did when they made their stocks.

William
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m sending mine back for a few reasons...  

William

All good info for sure!  I do think they could manage the comb height better.  The stock has a swooping up type design where the qd and picatinny is located.  If this was down even a 1/4”, that would allow for a much better sight picture with lower dots.  While they are at it, increase the length of that area 1/4-1/2” to allow for more room for your thumb.  

I just wish they would have put some prototypes into shooters hands first so they could get some feedback.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for your reviews gentlemen, I was excited when I saw this for my SBR (mfg. early 90s), but guess I will keep looking.  So odd regarding the barrel length they intended to use and then didn't allow enough space for a nested can.  I also wonder how people go about the expense for tooling but don't seem to put in an afternoon of thought around it.  

They could have posted here and gotten lots of input for free.

Looks like lage might have a solution for the hinge being in the way of your grip, but won't be a cheap solution along with their stock.

https://max-11.com/357_1.php
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 1:21:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
 They could have posted here and gotten lots of input for free.
View Quote

This 10000%!  I feel like they didn’t even have real shooters give any feedback at all.  Even as much as having a picatinny cover for the barrel!!  What the hell are you going to do with a plastic picatinny rail that’s attached via a couple screws to another piece of plastic?  I guess because it’s 22lr it probably won’t lose zero if you mounted something to it, but that’s yet another stupid addition they could have easily done without.  People have been making 10/22 stocks for a hundred years (probably close to that) and I’ll bet I’ve owned 10+ different types over the years and I’ve never had a fitment issue.  The best part about the fitment issue is they have gaps at the back of the receiver!!  They could have closed up those gaps and allowed enough space for everything to fit properly.  It was just a poor execution for sure.  It’s still too bad that no one has made something similar that checks all the boxes.  It really is something the market has never had.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I received my Whistle Pig 8" AccuLite barrel.  The length is perfect for this application.  I also got a proper mount for my Vortex optic.  The mount is listed as an absolute co-witness height mount for an AR, and in this setup it's dead-on.  So I'm assuming that the offset between the stock and rail is pretty close to AR spec.

One thing I didn't think of was that with a non-takedown 10/22 the top component (smooth or pic rail) that screws onto the chassis must be removed to remove the action.  Which means I have to undo the 4 screws every time I want to disassemble the gun for a deep cleaning.  Really wish those covers weren't there.  I think I might take the other cover and do some surgery to turn those into trim pieces that cover the open ribs in the foreend while allowing the barrel to be removed.  I wish they'd have done a barrel tray like on the Magpul hunter stock instead of something that wraps over the top.  

I also found that the cover I used (smooth) was touching the top of the barrel, so it wasn't effectively free-floated.  I can probably open this up with a Dremel, but still.

All-up with a loaded 10 round magazine this setup is 3 lb. 15 oz.  It has very good balance and is just heavy enough to be easy to shoot.  I've had a 10/22 SBR that was lighter, and it was hard to keep on target.

Shooting this setup is a hoot!  There's just something about a rimfire SBR that's so much fun to shoot.  This setup is accurate and really suppresses well.  With 100 rounds downrange I had a stovepipe with the first standard velocity round and no other problems since.  This is my third Whistle Pig barrel and they've all been exceptional and a great value.  Not surprised this one is good too!

Works great with both 10 round and 25 round magazines - no loading/feeding issues and they all drop free for me.

Further improvements?  As I said, I might try and find an FS1913 brace and modify it into a stock.  And if I can't get one cheap I'll work on swapping grips.  That being said the hinge digging into my hand is a mild annoyance because of the non-existent recoil. I don't normally like 1 pt slings, but this gun is light enough that I think that'll be the ticket.  

I also have a TacSol Aeris can in jail right now.  That will be a SWEET can for this setup...can't wait to shoot it.

All in all I'm still pleased with this setup.  I've wanted a backpack gun to take hiking or as a backup when I'm hunting for quite a while and this fits the bill.  There are several annoying quirks to the design, but it is so close to what I wanted that I'm thrilled that it exists.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for your update. I did end up sending mine back and am awaiting a refund.  I’ll give it to sb tactical that they were willing to refund my money even though I went to their product with a dremel.  Still a neat design, just needs a version 2.0 with some major improvements.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for your review. I just purchased the SB22 fixed stock chassis to spruce up one of my 10/22 collecting dust.

SB22 chassis
MI picatinny buffer tube mount (MI-STAP)
MFT minimalist stock
Volquartsen ultralite carbon barrel 16.5" (backordered)
EA NYX mod 1 suppressor
Trijicon RMR
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I actually just built one out with a new Charger TD this week.

Chassis still wasn’t a good fit. Required some dermal and force.

Overall, it’s pretty cool. Was bought for my kids to use, but I might be having some fun with it as well. Nice little set up.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top