Posted: 3/31/2022 9:22:53 PM EDT
Help me decide on my next purchase.
I’ve narrowed it down to these two… I think

The main criteria were:
-Something either foreign made or made using foreign parts
-Chambered in either 5.56 or 9mm
-Fun at the range but also usable for something more serious
-Not a pistol

I thought the VHS “Hellion” would be in the running, but I held one in a local shop and it didn’t do it for me like the Steyr has.
Most 9mm options are out for being “pistols”
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:27:56 PM EDT
[#1]
AUG all the way for me. It's one of my favorite rifles no doubt. I don't even mind that it's semi-auto only, haha
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:40:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 12:48:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I've owned both and my answer is the AUG.

The SAM5 is a really nice rifle, but at the end of the day it's just a 5.56 AK.  Granted it's a milled AK which is nice.

But the AUG is very accurate.  The newer cold hammer forged, nitrided Steyr barrels have been sub-MOA with match ammo on each AUG I've owned with them.  Ergonomics are better on the AUG.  The AUG is lighter.  The quick change barrel is cool as you can go from a 16 to a 20 to a 24 in seconds if you want to source multiple barrels.  Also - Steyr waffle mags are arguably the best 5.56 mags there are.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 1:31:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm gonna have to say AUG.
You see it, you know what it is.   You see a SAM, and it's just an AK.

That said, if you don't already have an AK, I'd pick the SAM, just got have an AK.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:08:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Voting AUG.

Back when the SAM-5 was an $800 AK, I would lean that way.  Maybe even $1200.  But at $1800, the AUG is the better rifle all around.  Nothing about the SAM-5 is worth $1800; Arsenal needs a new US partner.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#7]
AUG in a landslide, I thought the SAM5 would get a little support.

Its true that the cost of AKs is ridiculous, but I don't see milled AKs getting cheaper and I've wanted one since I stupidly sold off my ban-era MAK91 milled RPK after the "safe act" passed when I lived in NY.
I'd also have no problem shooting steel .223 in an AK, but who knows how much longer that will even be available at this point.

Thanks for the nudge. I think it will be the AUG unless I come across a screaming deal on something else. I have noticed there have been less sales on AUGs lately, but at least the price hasn't shot up an insane amount during the crazy years like it has on other weapons.
Now to decide on the practical Nato, or cool Austrian mag version. In green preferably.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Stick with the cool Australian clear mags for sure!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stick with the cool Australian clear mags for sure!!
View Quote

+1

The original Steyr 30/42 mags are awesome, plus now we've also got AC-Unity and Magpul options for the classic AUG.  I celebrate all the available mag flavors.  

If you want a 5.56 AK in general, keep an eye on the Zastava M90 or FB Radom Beryl on the imported realm.  I think both are better values than the SAM-5 at this point.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#10]
AK's don't get me excited, but I like the AUG, despite not being much of a bullpup fan. Ergonomics are no contest.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Aug for me I love mine

I’ve had Sam7s and the Slr-106 I love AKs but honestly it may be just some weird bias but something about the combo of 5.56 and a milled receiver just doesn’t do it for me
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#12]
SAM-5.  Cause AK is idiot proof.

Heavy 5.56 AK shoots smooth, and it will outlive you unless you drive a bulldozer over it. My sample had a front sight canted past any usable zero.  Sent it back to kvar for warranty, they just sent a new gun. Zeros was fine. Fun rifle.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had a sam-7, the arfcom special seak 74 (Ohio Ordnance?  Can't remember), converted wasr, saiga .223.  They were all fun for plinking and blasting stuff at the range.  Once I got more into shooting more and had access to shoot further out their lack of accuracy became apparent.  They will do for self defense but it's only so fun when the best you can hope for is 3-4 MOA.  I have an AUG that shoots 1.5 MOA with my 55gr handloads. That's decent and I bet I could get it 1 MOA or better if I got some 69gr bthp match bullets.  I am swimming in 55gr ammo so I just haven't gotten around to it.

I would get the AUG even if it cost twice as much.  I have no idea what aks are anymore but i wouldn't want to pay any more than a psa AR-15 personally.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Another AUG vote.

NATO or standard come down to personal preference.

I have a bunch of AR mags and gear, so it was a no brainer for me to go with the NATO version.

If you don’t mind buying new mags and gear, Standard AUG is awesome.

Many will say the Standard is superior because it has the bolt release. I don’t personally believe that is an advantage, since I’m coming from an AR background, and have to re-train for the AUG anyway.

All personal preference. Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 8:24:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Help me decide on my next purchase.
I’ve narrowed it down to these two… I think

The main criteria were:
-Something either foreign made or made using foreign parts
-Chambered in either 5.56 or 9mm
-Fun at the range but also usable for something more serious
-Not a pistol

I thought the VHS “Hellion” would be in the running, but I held one in a local shop and it didn’t do it for me like the Steyr has.
Most 9mm options are out for being “pistols”
View Quote
Don’t care for the US made AUGs in their current configuration, I’ve has bad luck with Arsenal AKs… why not look at something from IWI or grab a FB Beryl when the next batch drops?
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't personally believe that is an advantage, since I'm coming from an AR background, and have to re-train for the AUG anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I don't personally believe that is an advantage, since I'm coming from an AR background, and have to re-train for the AUG anyway.
I came from an AR background, and personally believe it's a huge advantage because it's similar to an AR bolt release, and speeds up reloads compared to the old school AUGs (which required cycling the op handle).

You may notice I retrofitted my older A2 with an A3 stock just to gain the bolt release.

All personal preference.
This.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Don’t care for the US made AUGs in their current configuration, I’ve has bad luck with Arsenal AKs… why not look at something from IWI or grab a FB Beryl when the next batch drops?
View Quote

Already have an IWI offering in 5.56, I haven't looked into the Polish AKs much, but I've wanted a milled AK since I sold the polytech one I used to own years ago.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I came from an AR background, and personally believe it's a huge advantage because it's similar to an AR bolt release, and speeds up reloads compared to the old school AUGs (which required cycling the op handle).

You may notice I retrofitted my older A2 with an A3 stock just to gain the bolt release.

This.
View Quote

Depends on how you see it.

I have over 100 AR mags and a bunch or gear. I figured I would be re-training with the AUG anyway…
Why re-train and spend an assload of $$ on mags and gear. Stick with what you have.

If I have to train myself the reload and charging the weapon, so be it.

Again, all personal preference!
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why re-train and spend an assload of $$ on mags and gear. Stick with what you have.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Same reason I bought all the other diverse firearms in my collection...
I like having/using many different guns, and I enjoy learning the various skills needed to use each of them effectively.

I've got 5.56mm rifles utilizing 7 different types of non-interchangeable magazines, and it doesn't bother me a bit.
(And if I could find a great deal on a Stoner 63, I'd have 8.)

Adopting another proprietary mag type in order to gain a feature/function was worth it to me.
That's how I see it anyway.

Again, all personal preference!
Absolutely.

Steyr should offer their NATO stock with the A3 bolt release in the US.
Then we could all "get both".

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 12:00:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Same reason I bought all the other diverse firearms in my collection...
I like having/using many different guns, and I enjoy learning the various skills needed to use each of them effectively.

I've got 5.56mm rifles utilizing 7 different types of non-interchangeable magazines, and it doesn't bother me a bit.
(And if I could find a great deal on a Stoner 63, I'd have 8.)

Adopting another proprietary mag type in order to gain a feature/function was worth it to me.
That's how I see it anyway.

Absolutely.

Steyr should offer their NATO stock with the A3 bolt release in the US.
Then we could all "get both".

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/13082/17A10488-4D95-49B4-AE3C-5FC77220B0D8_jpeg-913708.JPG

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/20190218_AUG300BLK_02-660x434.jpg
View Quote

Agree on all points.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 12:27:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Can't go wrong with a 42rd, 16" 5.56 thats the size of a MP5

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Aug my aks are fun but I would take my ar over them in a heart vest. Aug is now my go to, weird because I was so delayed in getting it and went with almost every other bullpup first. Not sure why, since the Aug is so iconic and very well built.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Both are fun guns, it’s a bit harder to mount optics to the SAM and its feels front heavy.  While the AUG you will probably want to replace the sear to get rid of the double action trigger feel.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:20:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Both are fun guns, it’s a bit harder to mount optics to the SAM and its feels front heavy.  While the AUG you will probably want to replace the sear to get rid of the double action trigger feel.
View Quote

The 2020 Precision sear makes a night and day difference.

The stock trigger feels like a pneumatic stapler.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

150 percent AUG all of the way....

I got lucky on both of mines......they are both parts mixed masters from over 10 years of gathering parts for cheap with 2020 luckily getting a receiver.

so much accessories and magazines now, you can't go wrong.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#27]
NVM
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#28]
AUG all day. When I got k-var’s email on their speshul for a SAM5 it made me sick. They can keep their trash can SAM and stick it in their inner circle.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I’ll be the outlier and say SAM5. I just can’t warm up to bullpups. I really wanted an AUG for years and then I got one and was really underwhelmed. Of the two I’d probably get the SAM but really I’d probably try something else. Maybe a CZ Bren.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 4:53:00 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't know the SA-M5 with polish laminate wood is a thing of beauty

I've had several and loved them
still have 1 NIB and was actually thinking about selling it and getting an AUG but with the ammo BS I think I'm going to get rid of my 5.45 kits instead to fund the AUG
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Why on earth would you get a bullpup?

Get that 5.56 hot ass communist gymnast w some American wood furniture installed in her and shoot like a king

This… but in an American chambering:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Between these 2, an AUG.  If you had said a Beryl, I might change my response.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:22:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Can't go wrong with a 42rd, 16" 5.56 thats the size of a MP5

https://i.redd.it/v0cwrjgbdvk81.jpg
View Quote

Nice config. what BUIS are those? Especially the rear one, is it a Troy?
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:34:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Love my Aug, black with 1.5x optic

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:15:30 AM EDT
[#35]
I only have experience with the Aug

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top