Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2020 4:48:09 PM EDT
I picked this 2012 SA M1A Scout Squad and was wondering what type of red-dot owners were using.

Anything that co-witnisses?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
My Scout squad is on the way to my FFL for pickup.  Can't wait.  From what I've read, the only way to absolute cowitness is to put on an ultimak rail, but I've only been researching for a few days (since I bought the M1a)
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I picked this 2012 SA M1A Scout Squad and was wondering what type of red-dot owners were using.

Anything that co-witnisses?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88145/DSCN9874__2__JPG-1359253.JPG

View Quote

I’m an AR guy, love red dots

I wouldn’t change a thing on that sexy piece you have there!
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Vortex Crossfire II with a Laure mount. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I had an 2X Aimpoint on one then switched to a 2-7x HiLux scout scope. You would have to replace the factory rail with an Ultimak or M14.CA rail and use a low ring or mount to get co-witness out of most red dots.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine has an Aimpoint PRO in an Aimpoint 30mm low mount, mounted on an Ultimak rail.  It cowitnesses with the iron sights.

(However, since the factory forward rail is slightly taller than an Ultimak, I'm not sure if the same optic combo will cowitness on that.)

Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#6]
My mag-fed Mini-G carbine wears an Ultimak forward rail with a Sig Romeo5 RDS attached on a ADM Q.D. mount. It's similar to BWood's set up above.

The Romeo5 is small and light, which is what I wanted in order to keep the front end from getting too weighty. Tough little unit too. Zero has stayed true and no issues with it after 600-rds.

Plus it wasn't terribly spendy as I recall. I believe I bought it from Brownells on sale a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve tried 3 different times to use red dots on my scout, an M2, a doctor optic, and a primary arms, I keep going back to irons.

YMMV.  

When I mounted the M2 I used a large low mount ring (one of a pair) and it worked well, but I missed the ease and joy of using the iron sights.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:45:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How is the cheek weld on those M1a's with red dots? They look like they sit quite high.
View Quote

Mine uses the same cheek weld as using irons (since the irons and red dot cowitness...)
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How is the cheek weld on those M1a's with red dots? They look like they sit quite high.
View Quote

Without switching to the Ultimak it's a little high.  That's partly why I keep getting back to iron sights.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 5:56:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That aimpoint co witnesses? It looks like it would sit high in the pictures.
View Quote

Yep.  Lower 1/3rd cowitness.

With the dot centered in the middle of the optic, the dot sits right at the top center of the front sight hood (on the SEI gas lock front sight).  You're looking just over the top of the rear sight aperture, which sits below the Aimpoint's field of view.  You can then drop your cheek weld by a fraction of an inch, to look through the rear aperture, which brings the dot down to sit on the tip of the front sight post in the lower 1/3rd of the Aimpoint's field of view.

It's a great setup.  Very handy and instinctive on target.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mine has an Aimpoint PRO in an Aimpoint 30mm low mount, mounted on an Ultimak rail.  It cowitnesses with the iron sights.

(However, since the factory forward rail is slightly taller than an Ultimak, I'm not sure if the same optic combo will cowitness on that.)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/924/qdFI4r.jpg
View Quote

It won't. It also won't with something as low as a T-1.

Probably one of the more elegant systems was/is the Midwest mount that replaces that rail and includes ears to protect the micro-dot. It does allow a comfortable cowitness. The charger guide mounts are pretty cool but I have never used one.

Any of these rails are quite good at transferring heat from the barrel to your optic.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any of these rails are quite good at transferring heat from the barrel to your optic.
View Quote

I think that issue is overblown.

I have three rifles with Ultimaks: a Krebs AK-103K, a Ruger Mini-14, and this M1A.  I also have a Vz-2008 with nearly identical style of gas tube/barrel clamp forward rail made by a different manufacturer.  The AK wore a cheap Bushnell TRS for several years, and now has a Primary Arms Advanced.  The Mini-14 wears a Primary Arms Micro.  The Vz. 2008 has a Primary Arms Micro.  And the M1A has the Aimpoint PRO, as seen above.  None of them have suffered any sort of heat-related issues, even the really cheap Bushnell optic, and that one has likely been the hottest of them all.

Granted, I'm not blowing 300 rounds of rapid fire multi-mag dumps in one fell swoop, or rocking back-to-back magazines on full auto, so there is likely some upper limit where the optic does eventually start to cook (along with wood stocks, plastic handguards, etc.).  But even with extended "normal" semi-rapid shooting, where the rifle starts getting uncomfortably hot, optics do just fine on an Ultmak in my experience.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Rougue - what rail do you have on that m1a?  is that a scout?  mine is awaiting shipment to my ffl - can't wait, love the looks to swap out the brown top cover - pls send a link thanks!
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#18]
http://ultimak.com/m8.htm

Yes, it's a Scout-Squad, modified with an Ultimak rail, Smith Enterprises gas lock front sight, and AAC Blackout flash hider.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think that issue is overblown.
View Quote

Agreed, but worth bringing up I think. I discovered that you can get a T-1 hot enough to burn your finger and it will still work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://ultimak.com/m8.htm

Yes, it's a Scout-Squad, modified with an Ultimak rail, Smith Enterprises gas lock front sight, and AAC Blackout flash hider.
View Quote

Thanks!  I just ordered one, Brownells had in stock.  I just bought a Leupold vxr Patrol but may return for the Aimpoint Pro.  Thanks again, I like your style!  

What Vickers Sling did you order?  I will have to research if I can swap the muzzle break out, I am in Mass so I am sure there is a rule against a flash hider.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#21]
That's a Blue Force Gear padded VCAS sling.  The front and rear sling attachments are from somewhere else, though... I don't recall the maker.  Specter Gear, perhaps?
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’ve tried 3 different times to use red dots on my scout, an M2, a doctor optic, and a primary arms, I keep going back to irons.

YMMV.  

When I mounted the M2 I used a large low mount ring (one of a pair) and it worked well, but I missed the ease and joy of using the iron sights.
View Quote

I believe that the M-1A is the best Iron Sighted rifle that the Almighty himself has Graced us with....

Just love to shoot that bitch bareback...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 12:24:44 AM EDT
[#23]

I ditched the Scout rail and went with the Sage stripper clip mount. I'm using a Burris Fast Fire 3
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I believe that the M-1A is the best Iron Sighted rifle that the Almighty himself has Graced us with....

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV.  

BIGGER_HAMMER

I tried my SOCOM 16 with a red dot, but I just didn't like it. By some strange miracle, I shoot it pretty well with irons.
(BTW, I wish you had a wood stock for sale since I need one and I'm local.)
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone make a stripper clip mount that works directly with a trijicon RMR?  Or would a riser be needed to co witness anyway?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Does anyone make a stripper clip mount that works directly with a trijicon RMR?  Or would a riser be needed to co witness anyway?
View Quote

No. Unfortunately. The closest you can get to one of those is the one that comes with the M1A CQB and the only way you can get that is you have to buy the damn rifle because Springfield will not sell the mount. And it only fits the vortex Venom

I have plans on taking the extra Sage mount that I have and milling out a pocket in it to fit a something like a fastfire, a Venom or a RMR. By doing that I can delete the Picatinny mount and attach it directly to the stripper clip mount

I just need the time to get over to my dad's hot rod shop and use the milling machine
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I put an ancient eotech (2004) on my Socom 16. Seems to line up pretty good with the cheap voodoo cheek riser.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone have any pics with a Scout & CQB stock setup?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Rogue, do you know/did you try it with the original rail to see if same scope and mount can co witness? I think it may be close. Trying not to add weight with that ultimak rail.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I tried a Vortex crossfire but did not care for it. I ditched the mount and put a new handguard on it. I will stay with irons.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I killed the Eotech with my Socom 16
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Is it the AA battery version?

Originally Posted By IGotShot:
Rogue, do you know/did you try it with the original rail to see if same scope and mount can co witness? I think it may be close. Trying not to add weight with that ultimak rail.
View Quote

Anyway, so I just ordered an Aimpoint PRO and a pair of Leupold quick release low rings, I'll use 1 to mount the Aimpoint to the stock scout model rails. From my research and estimation, I should be able to barely see the iron sights through the Aimpoint-- I guess you can call it cowitness when you can see it. I will report back.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Rogue, do you know/did you try it with the original rail to see if same scope and mount can co witness? I think it may be close. Trying not to add weight with that ultimak rail.
View Quote

Reports from elsewhere are that it will not cowitness, but I do not know for certain.  Never tried it myself.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah AA version batteries were not the problem.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I was looking at the rail on my scout model. Springfield or anyone can easily make a shorter/less thick rail so scopes can cowitness-- not sure why they had to make the rail so tall. If you need optics clearance, you can just get taller rings, but you can't get shorter rings...
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
I took mine off and replaced the upper handguard without the cutout. It looks like this.... 

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2018/01/28/7889875_01_springfield_m1a_scout_squad_640.jpg

MUCH BETTER
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
Originally Posted By 1srelluc:
I picked this 2012 SA M1A Scout Squad and was wondering what type of red-dot owners were using.

Anything that co-witnisses?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88145/DSCN9874__2__JPG-1359253.JPG

I took mine off and replaced the upper handguard without the cutout. It looks like this.... 

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2018/01/28/7889875_01_springfield_m1a_scout_squad_640.jpg

MUCH BETTER

That is a beautiful rifle.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:14:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I was looking at the rail on my scout model. Springfield or anyone can easily make a shorter/less thick rail so scopes can cowitness-- not sure why they had to make the rail so tall. If you need optics clearance, you can just get taller rings, but you can't get shorter rings...
View Quote

It’s likely because it’s a heat sink, since it’s attached directly to the barrel. They went with more mass to dissipate better. They also needed it to finish above the handguard.

The lower mounts replace the handguard completely and minimize contact with the barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top