Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2021 1:29:15 PM EDT
I have a rifle which I put in a gun case for like 6 weeks after wiping it down as per usual. It developed some rust pits in a couple places near the end of the barrel. I was given the case, maybe it had something funky soaked into the foam rubber. First time I ever had anything like it happen. Anyways, I have used primer as a filler when painting sheet metal with light pitting. I was wondering if I could apply MolyResin to the pits, sand it level, then apply as usual and cure? You would have to look closely to see the pits even if I left them as it. I would convert and remove the rust first so it would not bubble back up. Might be easier to rattle can it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:52:58 AM EDT
[#1]
It depends how bad they are but it's difficult.  I do a lot of Cerakote and that paint is soo thin it shows all the pits.  You'd have to try something thicker.  A rattle can paint might work, but it all depends on how deep the pits are
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It depends how bad they are but it's difficult.  I do a lot of Cerakote and that paint is soo thin it shows all the pits.  You'd have to try something thicker.  A rattle can paint might work, but it all depends on how deep the pits are
View Quote

Kind what I was thinking. I was considering selling it. I hate that there are pits in it because I was negligent and trusted the gifted case. I guess I will just rattle can it and keep it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top