Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2023 9:33:43 PM EDT
God help me!

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
citric or oxalic acid is great for that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats just surface rust.  Oil them and use em, they'll polish right up
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Naval Jelly.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Naval Jelly.
View Quote

Well, I would like to keep the finish on them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Evapo-Rust. Eats rust and rust only. Works wonders on rusty motorcycle tanks, tools, firearms, you name it. Re-usable so don't throw it away after your done. Just make sure to thoroughly rinse the mags when your done with water then immediately coat in oil or your choice of sealant/paint to prevent flash rusting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 6:40:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well, I would like to keep the finish on them.
View Quote

The AK mag finish may come off with anything you use. On the plus side, it's paint.

The M1A or BM-59 mags look like they're parkerized. Should be fine.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 6:54:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The AK mag finish may come off with anything you use. On the plus side, it's paint.

The M1A or BM-59 mags look like they're parkerized. Should be fine.
View Quote

Evapo-Rust doesn't harm anything but rust. Safe to use on painted surfaces.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Soak them in a vinegar and salt bath ... that surface rust (or any rust) will come right off with a light scubbing from an M16 brush after soaking in a vinegar/salt mixture for a few hours. No damage will happen to the mags either. I'd just take them apart and soak everything. Check youtube for details on this method if you don't believe.
Soak longer for heavier / deeper rust

I've done everything from gun parts, to expensive garden tools left outside by accident, to complete restoration of a very old wood stove .. works great!!!
Coca-Cola does not work btw (at least not nearly as well), as some would have you believe. lol

ETA:  once you are happy with the rust removed, be sure to rinse well ... then oil & wipe excess off springs, mag bodies etc and reassemble.  They'll look great

Good luck to ya!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]
You can also boil the rusty mags.  That will convert some of it to bluing.  you'll have to card off whatever remains on the surface.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Evapo-Rust doesn't harm anything but rust. Safe to use on painted surfaces.
View Quote

Evaporust does remove bluing and may impact other black oxide finishes like those used on some stainless parts.  Bluing is after all a form of rust.  But it’s good stuff and easy to use.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Evaporust does remove bluing and may impact other black oxide finishes like those used on some stainless parts.  Bluing is after all a form of rust.  But it’s good stuff and easy to use.
View Quote

When I’ve used it on bluing, black oxide, and phosphated steel items, it has always stripped off the rust and the finish, leaving an oxidized very light gray finish.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

When I’ve used it on bluing, black oxide, and phosphated steel items, it has always stripped off the rust and the finish, leaving an oxidized very light gray finish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?
Thanks for the heads up, I was totally going to use it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I like G96 for surface rust like that. Can't count how any hundreds of rusty surplus mags I've cleaned with that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 11:47:41 PM EDT
[#16]

That’s good shit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks like pretty light surface rust. 0000 steel wool and some oil.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is true. I soaked my brother's military handcuffs for too many hours (after I successfully soaked a motorcycle gas tank overnight.) The cuffs had to be cold blued.

You can just wet the rusty areas and leave the moist cloth over the area. Just check it periodically. Cold bluing is not a chore if needed. Otherwise, maybe go with one of the other suggestions. There's many ways to skin that cat.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Really?
Thanks for the heads up, I was totally going to use it.
View Quote
Bluing is a form of rust. Hence the name rust bluing.  Hot bluing accomplishes the same costing faster, but it's still the same concept just gone about differently.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I have them soaking in a bucked liquid wrench for a few days now, I'm going to attacked them with a brass brush tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#22]
That's barely rusty

I'd recommend 0000 steel or Bronze wool and some oil/solvent of your choice. Should clean right up.

It you are dealing with rust serious enough to not care about blueing, then Evaporust is your friend.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Fine bronze wool and oil will clean it up and not hurt the remaining bluing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Many people swear by Big 45 pads for rust removal without damaging parts.........

https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

My favorite method is to liberally soak the area with Kroil or CLP Breakfree and let soak a couple of days to loosen and lift the rust.
Then apply more and scrub with a brass tooth brush.
The Kroil/CLP loosens it enough the brass brush will brush it away without harming bluing.

Parkerizing may be made shiny from the brushing, but the rust goes.
There WILL be pitting left behind so either refinish with park or paint or keep a coat of CLP on it to prevent further rust.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#25]

This is the answer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top