Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2021 7:50:36 AM EDT
I have a Dead Air Mask in jail and am thinking about a Rugged Oculus for double duty on both .22lr rifles and handguns.  Basically it'd sit on a rifle and swap to a handgun once in awhile.  Is the modularity of the Oculus beneficial for this?  Or would I be equally served by another Dead Air Mask?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, but I keep mine in the long configuration.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't go wrong with either.  The Mask HD is one of the best .22 cans on the market, right next to Oculus.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah I'm really questioning when I'd ever shorten it.

If it was mounted on an 18" .22lr barrel would it be worth shortening it?  I don't think so...

On a .22lr pistol?  Not sure, shaves off like 2oz

On a .22lr SBR?  I don't know

I guess I may be talking myself into another mask.

Seems like a super compact .22lr pistol where you wanna conceal would be the only use case for a short suppressor, am I wrong?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#4]
If you always want max suppression then obviously leave that Occulus in the long configuration and that point your flipping a coin between the two.  Having two of the same is nice from Dead Air as you can join the Asylum and get some free swag.  I know that sounds silly but hey just giving you all your options here.

The Occulus was on my short list along with the Nyx, Takedown and the the Mask.  I decided I was going to avoid modular as much as possible as knowing me I'll always want max suppression if its available so that made the Mask and Takedown my 2 primary front runners.  At the time it came down to the Mask being in stock first so I went for it.  I haven't regretted it, its a great rimfire can.  

They are all good choices so flip a coin worst case scenario.  None of these will disappoint.

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I have one. The short configuration is pretty loud and doesn't really save you much on weight or size IMO, so I always keep it long.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm still waiting on my Oculus to get approved, but at the time I bought it I had my choices down to:

Oculus 22
DA Mask
TBAC 22TD

I had both the Oculus and Mask in hand making the decision, but couldn't find the TBAC in stock anywhere.

All of that to say, I got an in stock notification for the TBACs at Hansohn the other day:

https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/thunder-beast/silencers/rimfire/22-take-down/

If I was you, I'd probably buy one of the 9 left.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:02:19 AM EDT
[#7]
22 is so dirty and the cans are so light I don't see a huge benefit to modular.

If we are talking 9mm I'd go modular
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I use my Oculus more than my Mask.  In short mode on my 10/22 takedown and TCR22 rifles the sound isn’t that much louder due to the action noise.  Got a CGS Siren in jail that will probably use mainly on my pistols.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top