Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2020 2:31:28 PM EDT
Do any of you .45 owners have the 9mm cap and does it offer any real noise reduction?
I shoot 9mm 99% of the time but no need to waste cash if the 9mm cap doesn’t help.

My Obsidian splits time on a Zenith Z5 and G19
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn’t bother.  Most people can’t hear the difference and 9mm front cap strikes in long mode seem to plague the Obsidian 45.  In short mode it’s less of an issue.  The 9mm cap is useful on 300 Blackout subsonics.  But not enough to bother with.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one with both end caps.  I’ve not been able to do a side by side comparison obviously but I really can’t tell a difference when switching back and forth.  I’m sure it takes a dB or so off but not worth it in my opinion.  The risk of forgetting about the 9mm cap when shooting 45 pretty much seals it for me.  I don’t use it anymore.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:11:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Not worth it just increased chance of end cap strike.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not worth it just increased chance of end cap strike.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one because I got it for free. It was not life changing, but I have not had any endcap strikes with it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.
Seems like I’ll save a few bucks on something I didn’t need
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't bother, like others said no discernable difference in what you'll hear. Also I had an endcap strike within 100 rounds on shooting 9mm through it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't bother, like others said no discernable difference in what you'll hear. Also I had an endcap strike within 100 rounds on shooting 9mm through it.
View Quote

Interesting.
Optional wipes would be cool. As I understand the BATFuckers had issued a Royal decree on them.  I could see a niche use for .300 in nighttime hunting etc.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#10]
This thread is backing up what I've read elsewhere on the 9mm end cap: higher prevalence of end cap strikes, no real benefit. Sounds like a good accessory to skip.

I do love running my Obsidian on my 77/44, and I'd probably be the guy that forgets to swap, and reams the 9mm cap out to .429" at some point anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top