Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2018 5:19:38 PM EDT
First outing with PC Carbine. Tension nut left at the factory setting (very tight).

Right out of the gate I had a failure to feed from a Glock 19 2nd-Gen magazine, loaded with Federal AE 147.

Switched to a 33rd magazine with Speer Gold Dot 124gr+P which is the round I was really hoping to use in the Ruger. Alas multiple failures to feed from the middle of the magazine to the end (round caught by the bolt at steep angle like this: / ).

Switched to one of the new 24-round magazines (which are really strongly sprung) and fired 24 rounds of Federal 147 HST+P without issue.

Switched to a 3rd Gen G17+2 magazine and fired 19 rounds of Federal 147gr (standard pressure) without issue.

It didn't seem to make any difference whether I held the gun tight to my shoulder or more loosely.

So what should I make of this? Is the 124gr +P just cycling the bolt faster than the heavily loaded, older-spring mags can keep up?
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
First outing with PC Carbine. Tension nut left at the factory setting (very tight).

Right out of the gate I had a failure to feed from a Glock 19 2nd-Gen magazine, loaded with Federal AE 147.

Switched to a 33rd magazine with Speer Gold Dot 124gr+P which is the round I was really hoping to use in the Ruger. Alas multiple failures to feed from the middle of the magazine to the end (round caught by the bolt at steep angle like this: / ).

Switched to one of the new 24-round magazines (which are really strongly sprung) and fired 24 rounds of Federal 147 HST+P without issue.

Switched to a 3rd Gen G17+2 magazine and fired 19 rounds of Federal 147gr (standard pressure) without issue.

It didn't seem to make any difference whether I held the gun tight to my shoulder or more loosely.

So what should I make of this? Is the 124gr +P just cycling the bolt faster than the heavily loaded, older-spring mags can keep up?
View Quote
What is this tension nut you talk about? I just bought one myself, no issues at all so far. I have not tried the glock mags in it just yet, but soon I hope.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The Generation of Glock mags with LE only lettering seem to bind in the mag well and those are the only one's I've had issues with.

And like the first responder, have no idea what nut you are talking about.

I've not had a problem with any ammo, carry is Gold Dot 124's, its darn accurate out to 100.

I've run Lawman 147 and IMI 158 for heavy stuff no issues.

Do your mags lock back the slide of your glock when tested?
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe OP is talking about the knurled,barrel adjustment collar.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 1:09:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, thanks for the better description.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe OP is talking about the knurled,barrel adjustment collar.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I adjusted mine like this:

Assembled it then cranked the nut down as far as I could by hand.  Unlocked it then twisted it as though I was going to take it down but didn't.  Turned the nut until it met resistance again then relocked it.  Perfect resistance and it feels rigid.  Shoots like a dream and has never malfunctioned yet.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The nut turns opposite to the 10-22 nut... tighten is counter clockwise.

...from the trigger side of the carbine!
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't had any issues with mine but let us know if the problem persists. Ruger has steller CS if it comes to that.

I really wish/hope they make a non-takedown model. This rifle is too heavy to be a backpack gun so they might as well get rid of the takedown feature.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#8]
No problems with mine either & I've never touched the knob.  I've shot the 50rd drum, 33rd & 17rd mags without a hitch.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Went out for the second time. No improvement but I tracked things a little better. I used two mags:

1) G17 +2 4th gen mag with a Wolff extra power spring
2) G19 3rd gen mag

Mag #1
Fired 50 rounds of Winchester 147 FMJ, FTE (spent case caught inline) at round 10
Failures: 1/50

Fired 19 rounds of Federal AE 147, failure to feed at round 8.

Fired 19 rounds Speed gold dot 124+p, FTE (stovepipe) at rounds 6, 12, 14, 17, 18

Mag #2
Fired 15 rounds of Speer Gold dot 124gr +P, FTE (stovepipe) at round 4.

I noticed that the ejection pattern really varied throughout the magazines. Sometimes the case would be thrown forward, sometimes back and to the rear, and sometimes it would just barely make it out of the ejection port.

I may swap out the ejector for the one from the Ruger mag well and see if that works. After that I'll be contacting Ruger.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Check the cleanliness of the chamber.  Check that your recoil spring is fully seated to the top or (bottom as you look at the inside) of the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm sure Ruger is interested to know how your gun runs w/ the magazine they shipped w/ it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got mine this morning and put 250 rounds through it with no issues.  Put a vortex venom 3MOA on it with a 30 yard zero. ETS mags take a little manipulation to seat but functioned well. Looking forward to shooting some steel and hoping for a lighter handguard to come on the market. Plan to use it for USPSA next year.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#13]
My old school PC9 had to have the feed ramp polished, once that was done it has always functioned very reliably. So that might be something to look at and consider.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had it out a few more times trying to debug. Now it's on the way back to Ruger. They were great about sending a prepaid shipping label.

Today I tested two factory mags: G17 gen 4 mag (ambi cuts), and one of the super new 24rd mags (which seem really over-spring, suspect they're using the 33rd springs!)

The problem is failure to eject, which result mostly in stovepipes, occasionally the case gets trapped inline.

The only combination that made it through a whole mag (once) was the G17 mag with 115gr Remington FMJ. The 24rd shot 18 rounds of that ammo and then stove piped. Trying 147gr Winchester and 147gr Federal FMJ, and 147gr HSTs was stovepipe city.

Based on the relatively few problem reports from others, I'm hopeful that Ruger can diagnose and fix. Only problem is I could not send the pre-ban mags I was using.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've had it out a few more times trying to debug. Now it's on the way back to Ruger. They were great about sending a prepaid shipping label.

Today I tested two factory mags: G17 gen 4 mag (ambi cuts), and one of the super new 24rd mags (which seem really over-spring, suspect they're using the 33rd springs!)

The problem is failure to eject, which result mostly in stovepipes, occasionally the case gets trapped inline.

The only combination that made it through a whole mag (once) was the G17 mag with 115gr Remington FMJ. The 24rd shot 18 rounds of that ammo and then stove piped. Trying 147gr Winchester and 147gr Federal FMJ, and 147gr HSTs was stovepipe city.

Based on the relatively few problem reports from others, I'm hopeful that Ruger can diagnose and fix. Only problem is I could not send the pre-ban mags I was using.
View Quote
If they tell you what is wrong, be sure to post it. Someone made a video where he believed his ejector was the cause of his stovepipes.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If they tell you what is wrong, be sure to post it. Someone made a video where he believed his ejector was the cause of his stovepipes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  Please keep us informed as it sounds like you are having the same problems I am having with mine but haven't really dealt with it yet.  I did talk to Ruger many weeks ago and all they said that it should run on any Glock magazine and would look at it if I wished.  I've just been stupid busy.
Mine will not run on preban, non metal lined Glock 33 round mags at all.  It's almost like they don't sit high enough in the gun as it won't lock open on them, either.  If that was the only problem I would just write it off as being the old mags and set them aside.  However.....

It will mostly run new glock mags but will have the occasional stovepipe as you describe with all different brands of ammo I tried.  I don't think I am getting as many stovepipes as you but it is enough to know that something isn't correct.

Both the non drop free mags and new style Glock mags all work perfect in my 9mm pistols and my Keltec sub-2000.

The Ruger seems to run 100% with the Ruger mag that came with the gun for what it's worth.  In one session I shot 100 rounds through the Ruger mag as fast as I could pull the trigger with zero problems.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#17]
When I called, the support tech asked if I was using a new generation magazine, as they "haven't tested it with older magazines."

That's probably off-message for Ruger Marketing... hard to imagine they would not have tested it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Ruger turned around the repair in record time, now it's on the way back. Hope they fixed it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ruger turned around the repair in record time, now it's on the way back. Hope they fixed it.
View Quote
I wonder by the swift repair if they have seen this issue before?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#20]
They replaced the bolt head, extractor, and ejector. Safety check and test firing. What else is there if the problem is failure to eject?

Won't get to test it out for a week though.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They replaced the bolt head, extractor, and ejector. Safety check and test firing. What else is there if the problem is failure to eject?

Won't get to test it out for a week though.
View Quote
Sounds like they just replaced everything it most likely could have been as a preventative rather than found out what it was actually. Let us know if it is fixed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#22]
After the repair it now runs on all the standard pressure ammo I tried (115 Winchester, 147 Speer FMJ, 147 Federal FMJ, 147 Federal HST) from any of the magazine lengths.

+P is still a no-go, causing stovepipes. I had hoped it would run on the 124gr+P Gold Dots because the numbers looked good out of a 16" barrel.

But I carry standard pressure 147 HST and 147gr is all I buy so I'll just live with that and be happy. -ish.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

After the repair it now runs on all the standard pressure ammo I tried (115 Winchester, 147 Speer FMJ, 147 Federal FMJ, 147 Federal HST) from any of the magazine lengths.

+P is still a no-go, causing stovepipes. I had hoped it would run on the 124gr+P Gold Dots because the numbers looked good out of a 16" barrel.

But I carry standard pressure 147 HST and 147gr is all I buy so I'll just live with that and be happy. -ish.
View Quote
Well that is good to know. Wonder what the +p is doing to it? Too fast a stroke?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks for the update.  Guess I'll have to get off my butt and call Ruger again to send mine in for the same issues you were having.

I assume the older style mags you were having problems with are still a no-go, though?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
+P is still a no-go, causing stovepipes.
View Quote
That’s interesting. Mine was choking on Win 9mm NATO the last time I had it out. I’ll have to try it with some standard pressure stuff.

Because it ran for the first 800-ish rounds with no issues.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I was thinking about picking up one of these. Going
to hold off & keep shooting my AR15 based rifles that have ran 100% for thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#27]
So I went out and tried it with some 115 gr. Federal standard pressure FMJ today, using the same mags as last time.  I only got one failure in 70-ish rounds.  Better, but still not what I was hoping for.  The gun has been cleaned and lubed since last time I had it out as well.

I'll keep working on it...
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I was thinking about picking up one of these. Going
to hold off & keep shooting my AR15 based rifles that have ran 100% for thousands of rounds.
View Quote
Same boat here. Wanting one but still trying to hold off...
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:28:30 AM EDT
[#29]
My problems did not seem mag-generation related.

Quoted:

Thanks for the update.  Guess I'll have to get off my butt and call Ruger again to send mine in for the same issues you were having.

I assume the older style mags you were having problems with are still a no-go, though?
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 6:43:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:34:07 AM EDT
[#31]
So I shot a USPSA match with mine today, and I can’t express how disappointed I am.

As noted above, the first 800 or so rounds were flawless. And I was going through it with different mags, different loads, 115, 124, 147 gr. bullet weights. Everything was great.

And then it started choking every so often. So I pulled it apart, and made sure it was cleaned & lubed. Went back out and got the same result. I’m out of town for work, and found a couple of local matches to shoot while I’m here. I figured if I had an occasional stovepipe, I’d clear it and move on. It’s all just supposed to be for fun anyway, right?

So today I had multiple failures in five of six stages at the match. I was using a mix of OEM and ATI mags, some with extensions and some without. Anywhere from 17-round mags to 30-round, to 42 with a TF extension. All had been used successfully when initially testing the gun. The 42-round mag was the one that made it through my one “clean” stage (5 of 6 for the day). But it had 4 or 5 failures on the very next stage.

I don’t know if something changed, such as the ejector getting bent. But I think it’s time to contact Ruger.

I really want to like this gun, but it’s making it difficult.

Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:38:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Here’s what the failures commonly look like. Sometimes with the brass facing forward and being munched.

And less often I get something like this.

Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#33]
So it's not really a glock mag. generation type failure. Unfortunately it seems like almost every new type ruger has a recall.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Those malfunctions look just like the ones I was having.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:56:46 AM EDT
[#35]
GarettJ / Vandal,

Any updates??
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Bump for updates.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 6:17:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry, I haven’t done anything with mine yet. I put it away a few weeks ago and haven’t messed with it. I still need to contact Ruger about it. But at this point I figured I’d wait until after the Christmas shipping rush. Maybe a little less chance of it getting lost on the way back to Ruger after all of the holiday shipping is done.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#38]
I want to like these but it seems to be typical Ruger new product hit or miss. A buddy bought one and it fails to feed every round, brass or steel with the Glock magwell. Looks like a Stribog pistol from our Slovak friends will replace it for the same $$.

I want to like it but Ruger needs to get their shit together.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I read on another forum of someone having the same problem.  He swapped out the ejector from the Ruger magwell adapter that came with it and that completely solved his problem.  The ejectors are identical.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I read on another forum of someone having the same problem.  He swapped out the ejector from the Ruger magwell adapter that came with it and that completely solved his problem.  The ejectors are identical.
View Quote
I was curious if those that had problems with the glock insert/magwell, had tried switching it to the Ruger magwell ( or visa versa)?  Then the problem could be narrowed down a bit to the; magwell, magwell height, magazine height, ejector, etc.   if it’s just an ejector and they easily swap, that sounds like it would be an easily fix.

I won’t get into why it’s a problem, why it initially worked great for some then failed, or why it’s never worked correctly for others...
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Another 200 rounds post-repair ran 100%. Standard pressure 147 FMJ (Winchester this time). So zero problems post repair.

I had tried the ejector from the Ruger insert but that didn't help.

Quoted:
GarettJ / Vandal,

Any updates??
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I want to like these but it seems to be typical Ruger new product hit or miss. A buddy bought one and it fails to feed every round, brass or steel with the Glock magwell. Looks like a Stribog pistol from our Slovak friends will replace it for the same $$.

I want to like it but Ruger needs to get their shit together.
View Quote
lol handful of problems and thousands of solid performers. Pretty sure that more than counts as having their shit together. Add in their helpful and quick customer service and it’s almost a no lose proposition.

At least on this forum almost all the hate is coming from non owners which is common but annoying nonetheless.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:19:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Magpul needs to release their PCC backpacker stock replacement at SHOT show!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top