Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2021 10:59:38 AM EDT
Those of us with Mini 30’s know the pain of hard primers on cheap ammo and the no bang from our Mini30!  So has anyone tried these extra long firing pins ??

https://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/Bolts-Firing-Pins-More.php

Let me know. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to this link and ask that question.  The simple answer is yes.  

https://www.perfectunion.com/forums/ruger-mini-14-and-mini-30.86/
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I just took my new Mini-30 out shooting today for the first time.  I received it yesterday from a Gunbroker auction(Sportsman Supply out of PA).  I put 130 rounds through it and had one failure to fire very early, with a brass Fiocchi round.  There was no indentation on the primer.  It fired the 2nd time around.  
I ended up shooting 20 rounds of brass Fiocchi, 20 rounds of brass Norma,  20 rounds of brass Belom, 30 rounds of steel Tula, 30 rounds of steel Barnaul, and 10 rounds of steel Hornady SST.  I was pleasantly surprised with the steel 7.62x39.  No problems with it at all!
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Suggest you remove the bolt from the firearm, and give it a 200% cleaning, especially inside the bolt, with appropriate chemicals/solvents.  Blow it out, frequently, with compressed air.

The common hand-held M1/M-14 bolt disassembly/assembly tool can be used on the Mini-bolt, along with an appropriate length 1/4" drive socket as a spacer.

Cleaning the inside of the dismantled bolt is the only way to ensure there is no crud inside the bolt that is interfering with the firing pin's travel.  If you install a new firing pin, the tool will come in handy for that as well.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 6:24:14 AM EDT
[#4]
The solution you are seeking is here:

https://www.perfectunion.com/threads/mini-30-100-ignition-with-steel-case-ammo.125897/

Some 3 gunner randomly discovered this mod years ago which made his gun 100% reliable without use of a long firing pin which you should avoid since they will lead to pierced primers.

I would also avoid the rest of the comments, in typical perfect union fashion, the angry old ignorant know-it-all boomers on that cesspool of a site just end up shitting on the guys post because they didn't come up with the idea themselves.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#5]
The fix is correcting your firing pin to CORRECT AND PROPER spec.

NOT just using a long firing pin.

Ruger pin protrusion is spec at the very low end of safe length.

Fix it by making it slightly longer yet still in spec.

Youtube has some vids.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.perfectunion.com/threads/mini-30-100-ignition-with-steel-case-ammo.125897/

Some 3 gunner randomly discovered this mod years ago which made his gun 100% reliable without use of a long firing pin which you should avoid since they will lead to pierced primers.

I would also avoid the rest of the comments, in typical perfect union fashion, the angry old ignorant know-it-all boomers on that cesspool of a site just end up shitting on the guys post because they didn't come up with the idea themselves.
View Quote

I visited that site a few times and found it LOL stupid with novice gun owners pimping out their ninja Minis and a few know it all people thinking they run everything with little actual knowledge. Not a friendly place or a useful site.

Huge scopes with extra high rings crane neck, Tapco fucked rigs, PROMAGs, pin on mall ninja flash hiders etc etc.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Youtube has some vids.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Youtube has some vids.

This
Most likely this is what will need to be done.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I visited that site a few times and found it LOL stupid with novice gun owners pimping out their ninja Minis and a few know it all people thinking they run everything with little actual knowledge. Not a friendly place or a useful site.

Huge scopes with extra high rings crane neck, Tapco fucked rigs, PROMAGs, pin on mall ninja flash hiders etc etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like any Site, PerfectUnion has a variety of Members, some experienced, some not so much.

If one goes there and asks a question, one might get an answer from a Newbie, or an experienced user.

Same as here.

Many of the current Mini users/posters there are experienced with the Mini-14 and the Mini-30.  

Your blanket dismissal of the Mini forum at PerfectUnion is at, best, misguided.

I've been a Member of the Mini forum at PerfectUnion for a long time.  I've yet to read an unfriendly post from the current Members; most are very willing to help, particularly if the newcomer asking for help is able to accurately describe their issues.

The people that are deliberately unfriendly don't last long.

Link Posted: 1/6/2022 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#10]
It’s not the only Ruger site, but PerfectUnion is the best source for Mini info.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks to everyone who posted here, including the links to the PU threads.

I have been thinking about picking up a Mini-30 because I have a fairly good stash of 7.62x39mm ammo, but most of it is steel cased stuff.

Thanks to this thread I am confident I could address any light strike problems.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:40:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Youtube has some vids.
View Quote

Got a link to a YouTube video addressing this??
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 12:41:50 AM EDT
[#13]
https://www.perfectunion.com/threads/mini-30-and-mini14-firing-pin-compatibility.218339/
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#14]
In the past week I purchased a 584- series new production Mini-30 stainless.  Today fired 50 rounds of mixed steel case Tula and Wolf, both poly coated.  Not a single misfire.  Maybe the issues have been corrected.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 12:18:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In the past week I purchased a 584- series new production Mini-30 stainless.  Today fired 50 rounds of mixed steel case Tula and Wolf, both poly coated.  Not a single misfire.  Maybe the issues have been corrected.
View Quote

poor test due to amount.

try 300 and report.

just one per 100 would be a fail issue.

at low fail rates, a wolff spring is all you would need.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

poor test due to amount.

try 300 and report.

View Quote
Wolff makes good springs, but the "Extra Power" springs for the Mini-14/-30 are almost never needed.  If there's a problem with the Mini. substituting a new OEM spring is always the preferred fix.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wolff makes good springs, but the "Extra Power" springs for the Mini-14/-30 are almost never needed.  If there's a problem with the Mini. substituting a new OEM spring is always the preferred fix.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

poor test due to amount.

try 300 and report.

I bought a wolf extra power spring.  Light primer strikes went from 50% to 25% for steel case.  Bought an extended firing pin from firingpins.com and my failure rate dropped to almost zero.

After this I replaced the wolf spring with the original factory spring and still get no failures.

Mine is a 181 series.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

no, disagree.

wolff spring is easy upgrade and ruger should be using that weight as standard.

at low fail rates it should be tried first. low as in less than 10%.

the pin protrusion is the fix when spring is not 100% fix.

ruger uses a pin that is at the lower spec end of protrusion. if you send back a mini they will not and refuse to fix that.

buy a extended pin aftermarket or most easy is just remove a few thous off the shoulder of the factory pin. $70 vs free.

try the spring first and even leave it in as it is a damn nice upgrade and not worth taking it back out after install.

video here of pin fix:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM9AOf0gzsc&t=17s&ab_channel=TommyJefferson
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

no, disagree.

ruger uses a pin that is at the lower spec end of protrusion. if you send back a mini they will not and refuse to fix that.

buy a extended pin aftermarket or most easy is just remove a few thous off the shoulder of the factory spring. $70 vs free.

try the spring first and even leave it in as it is a damn nice upgrade and not worth taking it back out after install.

video here of pin fix:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM9AOf0gzsc&t=17s&ab_channel=TommyJefferson
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no, disagree.

buy a extended pin aftermarket or most easy is just remove a few thous off the shoulder of the factory spring. $70 vs free.

We'll have to "agree to disagree" about the "Extra Power" Wolff springs for the Mini.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top