Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2018 8:00:38 AM EDT
Looking for a bolt action .22LR.  I've heard great things about both.  Slightly more for CZ but that is neither here or there.

What say you and why?
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I’ve owned a CZ and they are super accurate however extra mags are expensive and the Ruger is but accurate enough so I’d go Ruger.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#2]
cz

ruger has lost me as a customer due to the shitty quality as of the last 10 years or so that I have experienced
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought one of the CZ American rifles and put a Hawke scope and a Spectre can on it.
At 50 yards which letter on the beer can do you want me to shoot?
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I have three Cz452 rifles, the varmint, the fulltock (mannlicher), and the scout (youth).  There all very nice.  They are all permanently barreled guns.  The new 455 are switch  barrel capable.  Some people complain they aren’t as accurate as the old fixed barrel models.   The new ones have nicer setups if you’re in a suppreofriendly state

I only own older Rugsr  77/22 rifles.  They are quite good but now run $7-800 if you find one.

I would be looking for the new Tikka .22 TX1 I think, before you make a decision.

Good luck devil dog.  Btw the CZ fullstock is the most accurate field type .22 I own.    The CZ  fullstocks are noted to be quite accurate, mine shoots better than my varmint.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 2:35:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've owned a CZ 453, a couple 455's, and several 452's.

I also recently picked up a ruger american target rimfire model and it is super nice. You should definitely check them out. This is not the basic model, it is the target. Bull barrel, adjustable trigger, etc.
View Quote
I would give my left nut for a 453.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Ruger is the Budwiser of the gun world.....if that is what you like fine no issue.

Just go in knowing that everything else is better then it.

Now if you want to play pretend gun smith then you are good with a ruger....there is a reason there are so many add on's for it....that hunk of junks need it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Ruger for the mags and fits my needs well.  General plinking and hunting.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#9]
To me the magazine is a big factor. If I am shooting off a bench I like the 455 Varmint with Yo Dave kit. Very accurate and sweet trigger.

If there is any chance the rifle goes on a sling I take the Ruger. Flush mags for a day afield trump better accuracy. The Ruger is accurate enough as someone else mentioned.

The Tikka will prove interesting.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:27:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I want the best accuracy I can afford, so my vote is CZ.

People will claim the Ruger is accurate, but I compete in rimfire benchrest matches and I've never been beat by any of the Rugers. In sporter class CZs dominate unless an Anschutz shows up. Then it's a toss up.

My 452 routinely shoots 10-shot sub-moa groups at 100 yards. 5-shot 100yrd groups are under 1/2moa more often than not.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the Ruger, my cousin has the CZ. We both prefer the Ruger, more accurate and better mags.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I was in the same boat.. Ruger or CZ.. it came down to this...
- Price, I got a good deal on the Ruger American Rimfire Target with Target Barrel.
- I was able to put it in a Boyds Tacticool stock.
- I liked the magazine system way better then the CZ.
- Magazine choices , availability and pricing way better.. (You can get 10 rd / 15 rd or 30 rd.)
- Trigger was decent out of the box and adjustable.
- Barrel was threaded in case they ever pass the hearing protection act, and I can get a Suppressor.
- Accuracy was actually pretty decent once you fine the right ammo, the Ruger barrels are Cold hammer forged on the target model)

Cons
- The bolt throw was rough out of the box, but some stoning and working the action took care of that.
- The fact that they use different bedding blocks between the different Ruger models made it a pain in the ass to get it to fit into the Boyds stock.

Overall, very happy with it, and I can give a CZ guy a run for his money....
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I myself am more a fan of old classics. Find a nice old Winchester 75, Remington 513-t or similar for less than the CZ and smoother and more refined than the current Ruger
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I am left handed so I own a CZ. Great rifle, absolutely no complaints. But if they made a LH Ruger I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I actually went back and forth on this for quite a while. The 10/22 magazines in the RAR was a big selling point, even though everything else was solidly in the CZ camp.

What sold me on the 455 (I have a Trainer, I didn't care for the design of the CZ American's stock) though, is when I went and picked them up side by side.

The RAR feels like a cheap rifle in an even cheaper plastic stock.

The CZ feels like a hunting rifle. I ended up topping mine with a nice leather sling and a Weaver RV-7 2.5-7x for woods duty.

Especially when you consider that you can find the CZ for like $100 more than the Ruger.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the 8329 (ruger sporter style). Love it.

I'd say the only thing it does for me that a CZ wouldn't is the magazines. You can't argue with 10/22 mags.

My rifle is reliable, accurate (as good as the ammo I put in it), good weight (not feather, but not brick, balances well), and I looks good doing it.

Again, magazines are the only real tangible reason I'd strongly recommend the Ruger over other brands.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought the Ruger American Rimfire because of the following, magazine availability, short threaded barrel (18 inches , at the time CZ had not released one yet), and Price. I just wanted a inexpensive 50 yard plinker that would be a good host for a .22 can. What I got was a more accurate gun than I am. It shoots 10 shot 1 inch groups with Norma Tac-22 at 100 yards almost all day long. I am happy with it and the fact it did not break the bank.

Will it outshoot a $500+ target gun? No, but then again it was only $279 dollars.

I have debated getting a CZ but when I go to the toy store there seems to be something else that gets my attention.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bought the Ruger American Rimfire because of the following, magazine availability, short threaded barrel (18 inches , at the time CZ had not released one yet), and Price. I just wanted a inexpensive 50 yard plinker that would be a good host for a .22 can. What I got was a more accurate gun than I am. It shoots 10 shot 1 inch groups with Norma Tac-22 at 100 yards almost all day long. I am happy with it and the fact it did not break the bank.

Will it outshoot a $500+ target gun? No, but then again it was only $279 dollars.

I have debated getting a CZ but when I go to the toy store there seems to be something else that gets my attention.
View Quote
GECO semi-auto is the exact same ammo at half the price. I have verified them side by side at 50 yards. Identical cartridge, group size and POI.

If you can find it, enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#19]

My Ruger American Rimfire target with a new paint job and a new scope....
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Ruger makes some nice rimfire bolt  actions these days, but I’d still buy a CZ. My 452’s have been superbly accurate and are built nicer than most centerfire rifles these days. I’ll be adding a 455 before the end of the year.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looking for a bolt action .22LR.  I've heard great things about both.  Slightly more for CZ but that is neither here or there.

What say you and why?
View Quote
I bought the Ruger to use suppressed. Super quiet and super accurate.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I want the best accuracy I can afford, so my vote is CZ.

People will claim the Ruger is accurate, but I compete in rimfire benchrest matches and I've never been beat by any of the Rugers. In sporter class CZs dominate unless an Anschutz shows up. Then it's a toss up.

My 452 routinely shoots 10-shot sub-moa groups at 100 yards. 5-shot 100yrd groups are under 1/2moa more often than not.
View Quote
While it may be true that Ruger is not as accurate as CZ in most cases I would maintain that for 99% of shooters that means NOTHING. Yes, if you are playing gun games- and face it Benchrest in ANY FORM is a game, maybe even a fun one, but mostly played by 60 year old dudes with $2,000 rifle outfits shooting $8 a box ammo, then gilt edge accuracy is what matters.....

The CZ guys always harp on accuracy- that is ONE component of what makes a rifle, and for many people, not the most important one or we would all be shooting Stillers and Stolle Pandas..... It has about zero relevance for the average guy that wants a decent rifle that is reliable and will shoot squirrels and to plink with, the Ruger is sufficient for his needs. I'm on the board of a very active gun club that is essentially the "Competitors Club" for our area- we hold State Matches, Sanctioned matches for various disciplines etc.....We have 400 members. You know how many show up for a Rimfire Benchrest Match? Twelve. Twelve guys on the best day, that's over 25 years.

While accuracy is important, the small differences in accuracy in what is a "sporting rifle" aren't worth talking about for the average shooter. Give me a reasonably available rifle, with decent accuracy, at a reasonable cost, good magazines, parts that are readily available and with aftermarket support so I can make it the way I want it and that rifle will dominate the market- just as Ruger has done.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#23]
If you want to punch paper buy anything you like but if you want a squirrel rifle the RARc is the cat's ass.

Near 400 squirrels say it really sucks......Yeah, it's almost not fair.

Link Posted: 5/18/2018 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

While it may be true that Ruger is not as accurate as CZ in most cases I would maintain that for 99% of shooters that means NOTHING. Yes, if you are playing gun games- and face it Benchrest in ANY FORM is a game, maybe even a fun one, but mostly played by 60 year old dudes with $2,000 rifle outfits shooting $8 a box ammo, then gilt edge accuracy is what matters.....

The CZ guys always harp on accuracy- that is ONE component of what makes a rifle, and for many people, not the most important one or we would all be shooting Stillers and Stolle Pandas..... It has about zero relevance for the average guy that wants a decent rifle that is reliable and will shoot squirrels and to plink with, the Ruger is sufficient for his needs. I'm on the board of a very active gun club that is essentially the "Competitors Club" for our area- we hold State Matches, Sanctioned matches for various disciplines etc.....We have 400 members. You know how many show up for a Rimfire Benchrest Match? Twelve. Twelve guys on the best day, that's over 25 years.

While accuracy is important, the small differences in accuracy in what is a "sporting rifle" aren't worth talking about for the average shooter. Give me a reasonably available rifle, with decent accuracy, at a reasonable cost, good magazines, parts that are readily available and with aftermarket support so I can make it the way I want it and that rifle will dominate the market- just as Ruger has done.
View Quote
It's funny cause it's true.... CZ gets all the love, but truth be told, the ammo you use is a bigger part. the heavy target barrel on my RART is decent and can produce one hole 3/8" groups, it I want to shoot $12-$22 Eley or laupua ammo...so it's really no different then a CZ 455... but with a better magazine system. and $100 less.

Running Fed Bulk it still shoots decent, just more flyers, and that's ammo related..
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
CZ build quality is superior to most.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Ruger.  Magazines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top