Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2022 4:18:36 PM EDT
I have a new Ruger American Ranch in 300 Blackout (and a new Nomad LT hanging off the front...).  In the first 50 rounds it has twice produced a click instead of a "pfft".  Both times I lifted the bolt handle to cock again and got a click again.  The first time I blamed the cheap Aguila ammo, but then it did it with stealTH too.  Are these both crappy ammo makers or do I have a weak firing pin?

Pics of primers will be up tonight.

ETA: primer pics.  These were struck twice and did not fire, while the other 40-50 rounds all fired on the first strike.

Link Posted: 10/29/2022 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a new Ruger American Ranch in 300 Blackout (and a new Nomad LT hanging off the front...).  In the first 50 rounds it has twice produced a click instead of a "pfft".  Both times I lifted the bolt handle to cock again and got a click again.  The first time I blamed the cheap Aguila ammo, but then it did it with stealTH too.  Are these both crappy ammo makers or do I have a weak firing pin?

Pics of primers will be up tonight.
View Quote

Same issue with some of my reloads today, and while it could be them.... the trigger stopped resetting when I work the bolt.  Either a half-stroke (cocks on close in the last 1/2" or so) or a full cycle.

Link Posted: 10/29/2022 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had the same problem several times with mine with premium ammo, so I don’t think it is the ammo. Have also read about it other places.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 10:21:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Not trying to promote my own thread and I know it's GD, but the Ruger Ranch thread there really took off. Might want to post about it there too and see if anyone chimes in.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Ruger-American-Ranch/5-2513605/?page=1
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you look at the primers on the rounds that failed to fire? Was there a good or weak primer strike? If a weak indentation, you may just need to clean out your bolt. If there are good deep indentations (compare them to fired rounds) then it's the ammo.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had the same problem with my reloads with CCI #41 primers, I thought it was my reloads. I have about 1k of the Wolf 145grn ammo that has run perfect.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Primer pics added to OP.  Those two rounds were struck twice and did not fire, while every other round fired on the first strike.  I wonder if the brass was slightly undersized allowing too much headspace?

I've done quite a bit of reading since yesterday, and the answer people get from Ruger for this unfortunately common issue is "Factory 300 Blackout Ammo is intended for ARs and uses harder primers.  The American Ranch is a bolt action and not intended to ignite these harder primers... find different ammo..."  

So, by their own logic, they built a rifle chambered in a cartridge that the rifle isn't capable of firing reliably.

I also looked into wolf extra power springs and they don't offer anything for the Ruger Americans.

Before my next range trip I'll detail strip and clean the bolt.  I also want to check the FP protrusion.  Anybody know what it should be?  I've read many different protrusion ranges online, some people claim .025-.035, others claim .045-.055 so I'm not really sure.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Primer pics added to OP.  Those two rounds were struck twice and did not fire, while every other round fired on the first strike.  I wonder if the brass was slightly undersized allowing too much headspace?

I've done quite a bit of reading since yesterday, and the answer people get from Ruger for this unfortunately common issue is "Factory 300 Blackout Ammo is intended for ARs and uses harder primers.  The American Ranch is a bolt action and not intended to ignite these harder primers... find different ammo..."  

So, by their own logic, they built a rifle chambered in a cartridge that the rifle isn't capable of firing reliably.

I also looked into wolf extra power springs and they don't offer anything for the Ruger Americans.

Before my next range trip I'll detail strip and clean the bolt.  I also want to check the FP protrusion.  Anybody know what it should be?  I've read many different protrusion ranges online, some people claim .025-.035, others claim .045-.055 so I'm not really sure.
View Quote

I felt the same way with my reloads that it was a headspace issue. I made 250 rounds of brass out of 5.56 brass and I could have missed the mark a little. They all did measure right but who knows.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#8]
What style bolt cocking piece do you have?

Link Posted: 10/30/2022 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, both of those primers in your picture look to be light to me especially the Aguilla. I have a Ruger Ranch rifle too in .300 BLK and I have never bought a single round of factory ammo, all reloads and I have used CCI 41 primers, Winchester, Federal, pretty much whatever I could get my hands on. I'm betting there is a small bit of brass floating around inside of your bolt, it happens.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine has the same issue and it turned out to be a head space issue. I just changed how far back I bump the shoulder and the rifle has been 100%. I need to break the barrel nut and set the barrel further into action for some factory ammo.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#11]
My based on above pic my bolt is compatible...

But the trigger still won't reset.  New thread time...
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My based on above pic my bolt is compatible...

But the trigger still won't reset.  New thread time...
View Quote

You can discuss it here if you want.  Any RAR bolt troubleshooting discussion will be valuable to my original question as well.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 1:30:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Just an update.  I haven't disassembled the bolt yet but I've shot it a couple more times.  

StealTH subsonic: it continues to fail to fire on about 20% of the rounds.  With the rounds that failed I re-cooked and attempted to fire 10 times just to be absolutely sure.  All rounds that fired, fired on the first try.  All rounds that failed to fire, never did fire.

Winchester Subsonic Match: it has fired 100% without failure for about 80 rounds.  This has also been the most accurate load.

Hornady SubX: I've only shot 10 rounds but they all shot.

Fort Scott TUI:  I've only shot 5 rounds and they all went off but it groups terribly and I think some of them were actually keyholing.  Maybe they should call it "Tumble In Flight."

So my FTF issue might be limited to the StealTH and Aguila ammo.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just an update.  I haven't disassembled the bolt yet but I've shot it a couple more times.  

StealTH subsonic: it continues to fail to fire on about 20% of the rounds.  With the rounds that failed I re-cooked and attempted to fire 10 times just to be absolutely sure.  All rounds that fired, fired on the first try.  All rounds that failed to fire, never did fire.

Winchester Subsonic Match: it has fired 100% without failure for about 80 rounds.  This has also been the most accurate load.

Hornady SubX: I've only shot 10 rounds but they all shot.

Fort Scott TUI:  I've only shot 5 rounds and they all went off but it groups terribly and I think some of them were actually keyholing.  Maybe they should call it "Tumble In Flight."

So my FTF issue might be limited to the StealTH and Aguila ammo.
View Quote

My RAR in 300 has the same problem with Aguila ammo,  never had a problem with any other stuff just the Aguila
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Never tried Aguila in my .300 RAR but most times when this issue comes up, the fix from Ruger is to adjust the headspace, for any caliber.
Haven't tried steel case in my RAR either, just the ARs. I usually save the good stuff for the RAR. Although Magtec and S&B run fine too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#16]
The two guys with older RARR that had the same issue that I talked to said they just had to loosen the barrel nut and screw in the barrel ever so slightly more in the receiver, shortening the headspace a thou or two.

So how does the Nomad LT sound with the subs?
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The two guys with older RARR that had the same issue that I talked to said they just had to loosen the barrel nut and screw in the barrel ever so slightly more in the receiver, shortening the headspace a thou or two.

So how does the Nomad LT sound with the subs?
View Quote

If you are going that route, get a headspace gage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top