Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2021 12:32:55 AM EDT
I got my Traditions Deerhunter (24" barrel ) out today for the first time to do an initial sight in . I plan to use it on deer this fall at ranges between 25yds and 75 yds using iron sights. I'm using Hornady lead round ball with 70 gr. Geox ffg . I got it zeroed about dead on at 25 yds. before the rain moved in and only got 2 shots off at 50 yds. One went a little high the other a little low. Likely a combination of me rushing the shot, heavy trigger pull and dirty bore. Anyway in your experience if zeroed at 25 will it still be close to zero at 50 and a little low at 75 ? I'm running out of caps and can't shoot to much more till get more. So any input ?

Also, what kind of accuracy should I expect at 50 yds with the open sights ? Made a snowman with 3 shot 25 yds. group off the bench. -Thanks
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:23:19 AM EDT
[#1]
What caliber ?
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 5:16:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What caliber ?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I couldn't get a worthwhile group with my TC 54 cal with roundballs and 90 gr of Pyrodex and SRP ignition

I got it close at 25 yards, then couldn't hit the target at 50 yards
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I am not familiar with your setup op, but anyway you can get a breech plug to use other size caps?
I see shitloads of musket caps on the shelf where there is no n10s, m11s or even shotgun primer s.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#5]
A bunch of stuff will affect ML accuracy ,patch material.dirty bore,age of powder on and on....but you get the idea.It is a good idea to just run a moist patch through the bore after  a shot to keep the fowling more or less consistent.

In General though a 25yrd zero will be close @ 50yrds,maybe a bit low @ 75....depending on the above.

I generally set a 50yrd zero and as a rule can take deer sized critters @ 100yrds with a little Ky windage hold up on the iron sights.

This includes .40 .45 .50 .54 .58 rifles and 16,20Ga and 56 cal SB too.

Good luck on finding caps and "make smoke"
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#6]
BP is not like modern stuff. 70 gr of 2f behind a patched RB should easily get you to at least 100 yds. With BP you either adjust your sights or adjust your charge for range. I would suggest finding your charge for accurate 75 yd shots then learn how it shoots at shorter ranges and compensate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top