Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2018 12:43:55 PM EDT
I recently finished a Form 1 9mm can. Works well.

Something I’ve noticed: before I ever shot it, the piston/booster assembly (from SD Tactical) threaded onto two different pistol barrels cleanly and smoothly.

Now, it’s hard to thread it on the Beretta and the 10/22, but easy to thread on the S&W.

At first it feels rough and I have to really put some pressure on it to get it to thread, but once I get it on there, it comes on and off almost as easy as the S&W. Feels like rough and smooth spots as I thread it on, if you know what I mean. Same on the 10/22 rifle with the same thread pattern.

What’s up with that?

Is it just that it’s dirty now? I’ve brushed and oiled the threads with no difference.

I’m pretty sure I haven’t damaged anything, as I said once the first rough threading is done, it’s relatively smooth.
Haven’t seen any metal shavings either lol.

Any input would be appreciated, I just want to make sure I’m not messing stuff up.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a similar problem.

I just bought a die, and chased the threads on the tight barrels.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Threads can be different class 1A/2A/3A for external and 1B/2B/3B for internal. Class 1 is the "loosest" fit, class 3 is the "tightest" fit, and most everything you encounter is class 2, while most muzzle devices and barrels are (should be!) class 3.

It sounds like some of your barrels are on the larger end of the tolerance, and the can is on the smaller end. While it is a problem, it's the better problem to have... it's a real pain when the threads on a muzzle device of any kind are way too large and/or the muzzle threads are too small.

My suggestion is the same: get a class 3A die of the appropriate pattern, use threading lubricant, and chase the threads on the problem guns.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#3]
If cleaning them (both male and female) doesn't help, do as recommended above and chase with taps & dies

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
most muzzle devices and barrels are (should be!) class 3.
View Quote
I urge people to run 2A threads on muzzles, encountered more than a few brakes and comps that were an interference fit with 3A muzzle threads.  I also knock the crests down a couple thou.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top