Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2022 10:17:26 AM EDT
Is there any benefit to going with RocketFFL as opposed to filing yourself? Anyone here use RocketFFL? I need to renew my member dues, search function just blows as a basic member, nothing came up in Armory section with a rocketffl search. If they reliably handle making sure all my stuffs in order, I dont mind the fee. I dont mind doing it myself either, just a little paranoid inviting the government into my life to closely.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I did FFL-123.

I'll be honest. It was a waste.

I didn't learn anything I hadn't already learned elsewhere. It's all common sense stuff that you learn reading casually on the internet for free.

Getting an FFL is way...way easier than people make it out to be.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Getting an FFL is way...way easier than people make it out to be.
View Quote

I keep having this feeling "it cant be that easy". So its causing a bit of doubt and hesitance. Im reading alot, and realizing how dumb I was to it all. Definitely thought it was much more involved before I started looking seriously. Ill keep researching and getting my stuff figured out.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#3]
It's super easy, just get your ducks in a row:

• Get HOA Approval if necessary

• Get Zoning Approval if necessary

• Get Business Licenses if necessary

• Get IRS Tax ID (depending on how you organize)

• Make sure you have a way to lock things up. Doesn't have to be fancy.

• Submit application

I was told to expect 4-5 hours for the interview. It was an hour and 45 minutes, and it wasn't an interview at all. It was him talking through the laws making sure I understand them and what I can and cannot do.  He didn't "grill" me or anything like that.

He was actually a pretty cool cat.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#4]
HOA is good, but I want to clarify a couple things. I need to look into the zoning stuffs, but I dont think thats an issue. I have to look into the business licenses and stuff. I dont think Texas requires that, but Im not sure. Thats where Im dumb is business law and stuff. All poppycock and greek to me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is there any benefit to going with RocketFFL as opposed to filing yourself? Anyone here use RocketFFL? I need to renew my member dues, search function just blows as a basic member, nothing came up in Armory section with a rocketffl search. If they reliably handle making sure all my stuffs in order, I dont mind the fee. I dont mind doing it myself either, just a little paranoid inviting the government into my life to closely.
View Quote

Zero reason to pay anyone for helping you prepare what's essentially some self identifiers and questions similar to a 4473 for a shall issue license.

Is there something particular you had questions about on the form?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I used ffl123 as well. Not knowing all the details it was worth the $35 to have the study guide and info on how to apply and set up and run your business. Another option is to contact FFL Consultants  https://www.fflconsultants.com/ for guidance. Tell them Firearms Fred sent you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I used ffl123 as well. Not knowing all the details it was worth the $35 to have the study guide and info on how to apply and set up and run your business. Another option is to contact FFL Consultants  https://www.fflconsultants.com/ for guidance. Tell them Firearms Fred sent you.
View Quote

Genuinely curious, which details were unavailable? It's basic information about your business, it's location, the type of license you'd like to apply for, and then info about any responsible parties to the license.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Only questions i have at this time, is figuring out which licenses i need. I have a notepad at the house I've started writing things i need to clarify, brain farting on what ive got so far.

I want to buy and sell, gunsmithing and potentially mfg. Before i left this morning, i was on rocketffl reading their "which FFL is right for you" article. Didn't finish it, so unsure if i need all the licenses, or just two or what. That was one thing i wanted to clarify.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Only questions i have at this time, is figuring out which licenses i need. I have a notepad at the house I've started writing things i need to clarify, brain farting on what ive got so far.

I want to buy and sell, gunsmithing and potentially mfg. Before i left this morning, i was on rocketffl reading their "which FFL is right for you" article. Didn't finish it, so unsure if i need all the licenses, or just two or what. That was one thing i wanted to clarify.
View Quote

An 07 can do anything an 01 can do, plus manufacturing. Of course if you get into manufacturing NFA items, you'd need the SOT as well. An 07 FFL is normally paired with an 02 SOT.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Rocket, FFL123 and the like are for the guys too lazy, too busy, too inconvenienced to go to ATF.gov and start reading it straight from the horses mouth. They would prefer to pay $19.99 for the Complete Idiots Guide to Being An FFL. Us Boomers remember "Cliff Notes" and Readers Digest Condensed books.......that's what you are getting from those guys. This is a serious business where oopsies can get your license revoked, where attention to detail and knowledge of timelines and certain procedures keeps you compliant.

Relying on a third party to tell you anything about firearms law or ATF regs is a huge mistake in my opinion. It's no different than taking my word or that of any other internet FFL. Verify everything.  If I tell you "No, that's illegal".....I always try and cite the applicable ATF reg.

Know where to find:
ATF regulations
Rulings
Open Letters
FFL News Letters
ATF FAQ's (even though there are mistakes hidden in there)
and believe it or not....the instructions on the Form 4473. Those instructions answer 87% of the questions you would have about a firearm transfer.
All that above is free at atf.gov

Contrary to what GD thinks, ATF regs aren't complex, difficult to read and certainly not a mountain of paper.

The FFL's here at ARFcom are always delighted to help.....and costs you nothing.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Relying on a third party to tell you anything about firearms law or ATF regs is a huge mistake in my opinion. It's no different than taking my word or that of any other internet FFL. Verify everything.  If I tell you "No, that's illegal".....I always try and cite the applicable ATF reg.

The FFL's here at ARFcom are always delighted to help.....and costs you nothing.
View Quote

That was always my hesitance with them. I just dont feel right trusting someone else to handle this for me. With that said, I do like the various articles they have because it some of them have brought up questions or ideas I wasnt thinking of. I still got a good amount of research to do, and like you said, Im finding alot straight from ATF fat mouth.

Whats the point of the Curio and Relic license? You just want to give them some money?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That was always my hesitance with them. I just dont feel right trusting someone else to handle this for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That was always my hesitance with them. I just dont feel right trusting someone else to handle this for me.

You mean have them fill out your Form 7?
Oh hell no.
Trusting them has nothing to do with it in my mind, the form is damn simple and part of being an FFL is filling out forms. If you get stumped or aren't clear IM me and I help you through it.

Whats the point of the Curio and Relic license? You just want to give them some money?

Its for collectors. Allows them to acquire eligible firearms for collecting purposes, not for engaging in the business. $30 for each three year period and is a great deal.
One transfer that skips an 01FFL pays for the 03.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

If there is potential for MFG, then get the 07 to start. Its not that much more than 01 and it avoids changing later. And remember the ATF definition of MFG doesn't require a machine shop to "manufacture". You can be an 07 that doesn't mfr anything. But it is nice to be able to (with SOT) make NFA items on form 2. SBR, SBS, MGs and Silencers (ITAR).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top