Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2018 4:31:49 AM EDT
Cutting down a rifled shotgun barrel... I assume I can cut it to 16 inch (instead of 18) since it's rifled, correct?  The gun still needs to be 26 inch overall too, correct?
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#1]
A rifled shotgun barrel is still a shotgun barrel as it is capable of shooting shotgun shells full of shot the same as a smooth bore barrel.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 11:43:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A rifled shotgun barrel is still a shotgun barrel .......
View Quote
NFA says a shotgun has a smooth bore.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#3]
This pops up every now and again and I've never seen an official ATF response.

The usual question is can you put a short rifled barrel on a SBS (think Rem 870 or the like)

If it was a dedicated rifled barreled shotgun (like a Savage 210/220) I would tend to agree that 16" would be ok.

But it could also be considered a "weapon made from shotgun" if <26" OAL and be a SBS.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Remember you can only have a .50 cal or less in a rifle. Only shotguns and NFA regulated guns have larger.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Remember you can only have a .50 cal or less in a rifle. Only shotguns and NFA regulated guns have larger.
View Quote
The NFA definition of a rifle does not say anything about caliber.

The 50 caliber limit is only used to define a destructive device  unless the weapon has a sporting purpose. ATF says most shotguns have a sporting purpose.   In fact this was used to ban shotguns that the ATF didn't like in the 80s and 90s, they simply re-classified them as destructive devices instead of Shotguns.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The NFA definition of a rifle does not say anything about caliber.

The 50 caliber limit is only used to define a destructive device  unless the weapon has a sporting purpose. ATF says most shotguns have a sporting purpose.   In fact this was used to ban shotguns that the ATF didn't like in the 80s and 90s, they simply re-classified them as destructive devices instead of Shotguns.
View Quote
The OP (Original Post) is talking about making a rifle and not a destructive device.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#7]
The person you quoted was the OP responding to you.

AFAIK, the sporting purpose isn't specific to shotguns, it is a specific exemption to DDs but I don't think it is limited to shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Cutting down a rifled shotgun barrel... I assume I can cut it to 16 inch (instead of 18) since it's rifled, correct? The gun still needs to be 26 inch overall too, correct?
View Quote
Absolutely not. While the act of simply cutting a shotgun barrel isn't illegal, having a shotgun and that 16" bbl constitute being in constructive possession of a Short Barreled Shotgun.

Being "rifled" doesn't make the shotgun a "rifle" and as mentioned above may cause it to be a Destructive Device depending on caliber/gauge.

§478.11 Meaning of terms
Destructive device. (a) Any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas (1) bomb, (2) grenade, (3) rocket having a propellant charge of more than 4 ounces, (4) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce, (5) mine, or (6) device similar to any of the devices described in the preceding paragraphs of this definition; (b) any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell which the Director finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes) by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter; and (c) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into any destructive device described in paragraph (a) or (b) of this section and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled. The term shall not include any device which is neither designed nor redesigned for use as a weapon; any device, although originally designed for use as a weapon, which is redesigned for use as a signalling, pyrotechnic, line throwing, safety, or similar device; surplus ordnance sold, loaned, or given by the Secretary of the Army pursuant to the provisions of section 4684(2), 4685, or 4686 of title 10, United States Code; or any other device which the Director finds is not likely to be used as a weapon, is an antique, or is a rifle which the owner intends to use solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes.
and
Short-barreled shotgun. A shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length, and any weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.
and
Shotgun. A weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder, and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't play with the possibility of violating the NFA over two inches of barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top