Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2020 10:42:53 AM EDT
I'm a sucker for Combloc surplus and ran across a video by MikeB on Youtube a few weeks ago where he mentioned Rguns having some Chinese Type 54 pistols.  The pistols are priced at $350 and have a couple of things going for them:
1)Chinese surplus has been banned from direct import for a number of years. Most recent SKS's have come through a third party country where they sat for a number of years. Rguns has not disclosed any details at this time.  
2)These pistols have an unobtrusive and easily eliminated safety. Most Norinco 213's from the 80's, Polish, Russian,Romanian, and Yugo/Serbian imports have atrocious safeties hacked into the frames and slides. It looks like Rguns followed suit with one of the last batches of Serbian M57's and had a glock style trigger dingus installed into the OEM trigger. This preserves the lines of the pistol and allows elimination by the substitution of a roughly $20 part that is easily sources from Egay, Gunbroker, Numrich or the like.
3)Import marks are on the underside of the slide ahead of the dust cover on the frame. No dot martix monstrosities a la Century or billboards on the slide flats.

My pistol arrived in a reasonable amount of time in a nondescript inner brown cardboard box. The pistol was well wrapped in bubblewrap. Production dates to 1971 and has all matching numbers. One unnumbered magazine was included.  The pistol appears to have been refinished in black oxide after a media blasting. There is some evidence of fine freckling or pin prick pitting on the exterior. Bore is not super shiny, with smooth lands and minor pitting in grooves. Import trigger was sharp trash. Shopping in my parts bin turned up a Norinco 213 trigger that dropped right into place. It was necessary to drive out the rollpins to disassemble the trigger safety before it could be removed from the frame.

The pistol in MikeB's video appeared to have original finish with some scuffs and dings. The pics on Rguns website looks a bit smoother than mine but, likely refinished as well, possibly with a lighter blasting treatment.

I'm happy to have it added to the stable and prefer it over earlier imports that suffered additional indignities.

ETA- Bbl is unnumbered, sear pack is non-matching, and trigger falls from half cock if I don't jostle slide. likely a disco issue. Swapped in another sear pack and it's functioning 100%

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Wise for the importer to not f-up the frame and looked for an alternative safety location.  Good on them!
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#2]
That looks damn good
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty tempting, would make good shooter without the annoying and dangerously unreliable Norinco safeties.

Whoever refinished them re-installed all the rear sight backwards.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if the TT-33 Russian mags fit.  I have a 1936 Russian I really don’t want to shoot with about 6 mags.  I have three tuna cans of ammo.  The only thing I am comfortable running that ammo through is a VZ52 pistol.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder if the TT-33 Russian mags fit.  I have a 1936 Russian I really don’t want to shoot with about 6 mags.  I have three tuna cans of ammo.  The only thing I am comfortable running that ammo through is a VZ52 pistol.
View Quote

My mags interchange from a clapped out '41Tula, 54' Polish, and the '66 Norinco M54. Longer mags from Zastava also work but, stick out the bottom due to longer length

Fwiw, the TT design is reputed to handle hot ammo better that the cz52.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I've never seen a catastrophic malfunction out of a TT33 but I've seen some instances on the interwebz of VZ52's coming apart using surplus.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never seen a catastrophic malfunction out of a TT33 but I've seen some instances on the interwebz of VZ52's coming apart using surplus.
View Quote

That why I shoot only .30 Mauser in my -52.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top