Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2018 9:26:27 AM EDT
I recently order an XL Revision Batlskin helmet.  Now I dont think my head is huge, so I was surprised when the measurements indicated XL.

Basically for all the measurements, I was RIGHT at the # for L or XL.  TNVC says if that is the case, then go with the larger helmet, and your head will thank you.

Well I just received my XL helmet, and it has the modular suspension system (seems great).  But the hard shell of the helmet is significantly bigger than my head.  I had to tighten the MSS a lot, and now there is a lot of wobble with the helmet on my head.

Now the helmet came with padded shims, and I haven’t put those in yet.  Unfortunately, I don’t know anyone with a L size helmet (if you have a L Revision helmet and you live near Indianapolis, please let me know!)

So I think I have two choices:
-Return the XL for an L, and just hope the L isn’t right on my head to where it induces headaches (with how much I tightened the MSS, I THINK L would be good)

-Put the shims in and run with the XL helmet.

I don’t know if I’ll be able to exchange after the latter option, so based on your guys’ experience, what would you recommend?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a revision, but I'll tell you this.

Have a medium from another US based maker, and I'm square in the middle of size medium.

Last winter I ended up wanting to wear my NVD helmet over a fleece watch cap - it didn't fit. So if you ever plan on wearing winter head gear under the bucket, keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Spyhawk,

Thanks a lot for sharing that... definitely a point in favor of sticking with the XL.  I may just have to try out the shims and hope they stabilize it.

If anyone else has two cents to throw in, that would be great.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 4:34:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I put the extra pads on the back to shore up the front to back slack and used my Peltors on 3M ARC adaptors to remove the side to side slack. The Revision fits just like any ACH because it is an ACH. You can buy a used ACH in L for $100 and see how it fits. My helmet is also a bit bulky in XL, its not an OpsCore.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Exactly the same situation here, same helmet, same size head.  I just got it in the mail today.  Kind of looks large on my head, but it balances well.  Will be perfect with a knit cap in the winter. No ragrets.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry, This is confusing. Do you not have the pads in the helmet? Im not sure what padded shims are.

Helmets are meant to be worn with the pads, which provide a significant amount of protection.

ETA: looking at the MSS, it looks like it's meant to be worn with the pads, not as optional "shims".
View Quote
There are thick heavy single use styofoam type pads for impact reduction, like a motorcycke helmet. There are thin and soft closed cell foam type pads, which go on top of the thick pads, for comfort, where the hard pads might otherwise touch your head. The thin pads I only use in the rear and the very top, because the net does not keep the helmet stable. You need some front to back stability, which comes from the factory front forehead contact area, and some sort of rear contact for my head shape. The rest of the pads dont touch my head, due to the MSS net floating my helmet.  There is a nice cinch to my temples from the dial band, but my COMTAC ears on ARC adapters really remove the side to side rock as much as the headband does. I cant get a lot of side contact with my highcut. The MSS does not have the pads touch your head everywhere like a TW pad set up. Think of the shim pads like the secondary soft pads on the EPIC/EPIC Air pad sets, only your head does not always touch padding in the MSS due to the suspension net, so no secondary pads needed in every case, just when there is not enough net clearance or you need to remove slop/movement. I find the single use high density styrofoam type padding plus the thin closed cell foam shims of the MSS very hot and insulative, so I use the least contact and least padding I can to maximize the ventilation of the mesh net. The thin pads dont give much impact protection, mostly just comfort.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top