Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2022 2:47:06 PM EDT
Okay, I am really trying to up my video game and the recent videos by both John Lovel and Garand Thumb gave me some direction.

I'll be doing some closer looks at individual items of gear.

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice and concise
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice and concise
View Quote
Glad you liked it

If anyone prefers BitChute
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Good, general advice.  Suggest he's wearing chest armor a bit high, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good, general advice.  Suggest he's wearing chest armor a bit high, but that's just me.
View Quote
It is about an inch to high, when the H2O is on the back it requires frequent re-adjustment.

That is me, not he.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for posting, I agree with the start cheap approach.

I struggle with going too cheap, definitely trying to fighting my way out of the "just as good" mindset.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It is about an inch to high, when the H2O is on the back it requires frequent re-adjustment.

That is me, not he.
View Quote
Sorry for being "picky" but if posting advice to others, suggest fundamentals be GTG.  

Overall an informative vid, and useful.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Ya lost me at "zombies"!

I hope you did not double down with "this bad boy".
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ya lost me at "zombies"!

I hope you did not double down with "this bad boy".
View Quote
Well, if referring to random bad guys as zombies turns you off that much I'm sorry you can't appreciate my video.

I don't think I said "this bad boy" anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Vid seemed to me (not being an Expert) as having a very useful "signal-to-noise" content.  Not perfect, but nothing is "Perfect" for everyone.

OP: you'll never be rid of the nay-sayers.  BTDT.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Currahee!

I'd say after doing a Tactical Games event where the slick plate carrier is required to be at least 15lbs, not counting 4 pistol mags, 4 rifle mags, pistol, and now only part of the time a rifle... I have an entirely new appreciation for my Dayton Armor plates which are only 2lbs each.  Tactical Games pushes your fitness to the max and I was remarkably sluggish loaded with everything required for Tactical Games.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm working on more detail for various pieces of gear. War belts will be first, need to make a third line/ sustainment gear vid as well.

Mixed with the other stuff.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#15]
There's some really good take-aways, here, among them to take a good look at what you need to fight with this stuff, vs having a collectible hobby.  Chapo!

And for sure, different load outs for EDC, vs training, vs woodland patrol, etc.  

One way of doing it, is to start cheap, and test out concepts, before investing in expensive stuff.  That's pretty much how I roll as well.

I am tone deaf to fancy video editing so no big deal, okay.

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Good stuff, down to earth and applicable.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
constructive criticism: I counted 33 "okays" in there, it's easy to fall into a pattern. I've noticed the big-time youtube guys edit together a bunch of short clips so they don't have to deliver an entire lecture at once. I think GT's clips tend to be 5 - 10 seconds.
View Quote

Certainly a fair criticism.  I prefer to do vids in long takes where I am actually showing something.  I think the over all effect is more educational, as if I was showing things in person.

I've done a few vids where I'm doing voiceovers of other vids,  a different editing challenge and nearly as fun.  I'm getting ready to upload one right now.  Only useful (for me) when I'm making a point that requires showing a lot of different things.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There's some really good take-aways, here, among them to take a good look at what you need to fight with this stuff, vs having a collectible hobby.  Chapo!

And for sure, different load outs for EDC, vs training, vs woodland patrol, etc.  

One way of doing it, is to start cheap, and test out concepts, before investing in expensive stuff.  That's pretty much how I roll as well.

View Quote
I see a lot of people go out and buy a bunch of expensive stuff and then use it very little.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I see a lot of people go out and buy a bunch of expensive stuff and then use it very little.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Little late to the game but had to interject my opinion FWIW

Always like both of them and respected their experience. Travis trained his son very well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Little late to the game but had to interject my opinion FWIW

Always like both of them and respected their experience. Travis trained his son very well.
View Quote
The video was not meant as a dig or challenge to either of them.  They are both two people who's opinions I respect and listen to.  I felt an updated "when you don't have $20k to drop on gear" was needed.

Who is Travis?
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Good vid...more than a lot of ArfCommers would do.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Travis Haley is a well known Marine and father of G. Thumb.

Father & Son
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Travis Haley is a well known Marine and father of G. Thumb.

Father & Son
View Quote
Ahh yes I know who Travis Haley and have seen the joke. I just didn't connect it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I definitely look for content over fancy production. Some of the best guys IMO use very little editing and such. Mrgunsandgear and S2 Underground come to mind. Don't be afraid to throw in a corny joke once in a while. I liked the rite-in-the-rain reveal, it's a great insider dry joke.

If you do requests: could you spend some time talking about how your gear has evolved as you've used it in comps? Tips and tricks on how to arrange pouches and stuff so slings don't snag, lessons learned from moving with the gear, that sort of thing would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote
Thanks

I have an older one on just plate carriers on my Bitchute, pre Rumble channel Tips and tricks for a civilian.  would be hard to do an "evolution" one because many of the changes are small, incremental.

I am actually editing one on just war belts right now
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#27]
If you can, harmonize your video library on all your channels so someone who is used to finding your content in a particular place has access to all of your content.  If some of your content is paid, my comment doesn't apply to that.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you can, harmonize your video library on all your channels so someone who is used to finding your content in a particular place has access to all of your content.  If some of your content is paid, my comment doesn't apply to that.
View Quote
Certainly would be nice but represents quite a bit of work that I'm not even sure is doable. I have been on BitChute for about four years, and Rumble for about one, it would involve the re-upload of about 50 vids.  (A lot of those vids are eventually going to be remade with new technology/lessons/ideas anyway.)  Since I joined rumble everything is mirrored between the two. There was also a buttload of older stuff on YouTube going back about 15 years or so, lost much of it in a hard drive crash.  Most of it was much lower quality that what I do now anyway. I do not do anything on YouTube anymore.  I am thinking about starting again for "channel announcements" and maybe some highlight stuff, in an effort to encourage people to move to other platforms.

Nothing is behind a paywall, nor would I ever expect it to be.  I am considering a voluntary subscribe star.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Good video. I liked it .
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 5:50:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Lovell and Thumb appear to be good guys - I did see Lovell was a former Ranger, so he will have plenty of good insights.  

Thumb is a bit of a harder read, I did see his recce pack movie and another on urban w.  I got the impression he was a SO junior officer, possibly on the comms side.  He's 100% right about having a write in the rain note book - but wrong in his lack of use of dry sacks :) (most likely an oversight).  

Its good that people are prepared to put their views out there based on their particular experience and perspectives - and also do it in a positive way.  

I would make the following point - kit and load out is incredibly dependant on any/the situation you are facing or contemplating.  

The situation (S) you are facing actually defines the mission set (M), which in turn requires an executable plan (E) - this in turn defines what you need (A).  Importantly if you are in a group this needs to be communicated effectively to those with you and those that may be supporting you (C).  

The very common belt - PC - 3DAP sequence is use case specific and may not be applicable to most situations - in fact the simple nature of the D ring on the belt and cobra Vs swift buckle can be make or break an outcome.  

Thus if some of the youtubers defined things on the basis of SMEAC principles, they would find their audience would not only be better educated they would be better informed in terms of what works in different situations.  Its never one size fits all.  

Price Vs Value Vs Gucci..........always an interesting topic - but the most important thing is to get what fits you best, is most comfortable for you and is consistent with your outlined SMEAC.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Good information but you really need to lose the weight.

Your first fighting tool is you. Your fitness is the first piece of kit and the cheapest to get.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 7:27:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Good Vid
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:  Good information but you really need to lose the weight.

Your first fighting tool is you. Your fitness is the first piece of kit and the cheapest to get.
View Quote

But one of the most difficult to acquire.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Good information but you really need to lose the weight.

Agree on all counts, I exercise regularly and would bet I'm in the top 25% of my age group, but I'm no expert and it's a constant battle.

Fitness is the number one thing that will keep you alive in all circumstances
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Excellent point on the whistle.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:  Agree on all counts, I exercise regularly and would bet I'm in the top 25% of my age group, but I'm no expert and it's a constant battle.

Fitness is the number one thing that will keep you alive in all circumstances
View Quote

Er, it can help, but a fat man w/ a gun is going to utterly defeat a fighting fit 18 year old w/o one.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Well done, Sir!
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 1:03:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well done, Sir!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Good to see the new content.

Your website / blog really helped me out with setting up my 1st "loadout".

You are always putting out good info for the average joe or some one new to the game
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Good to see the new content.

Your website / blog really helped me out with setting up my 1st "loadout".

You are always putting out good info for the average joe or some one new to the game
View Quote
Glad you have found it helpful.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thumb is a bit of a harder read, I did see his recce pack movie and another on urban w.  I got the impression he was a SO junior officer, possibly on the comms side.

View Quote

As you probably know, the Veteran "Good 'ole Boy Network" is alive and well as far as checking out peeps credentials. A call to his former unit yielded that he was a stellar enlisted dude ("he's a really great guy") in the AF Survival career field, who spent all of his off time (as you can imagine) dealing with all things training/firearms. No deployments at that point. Now he's an "O" in the TACP career field. IIRC in the very beginning (maybe even as a civilian?), he tried out the medical side of things, but decided on a different route.

That's what I can recall from the topic - which dates back 3-4 years.

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

As you probably know, the Veteran "Good 'ole Boy Network" is alive and well as far as checking out peeps credentials. A call to his former unit yielded that he was a stellar enlisted dude ("he's a really great guy") in the AF Survival career field, who spent all of his off time (as you can imagine) dealing with all things training/firearms. No deployments at that point. Now he's an "O" in the TACP career field. IIRC in the very beginning (maybe even as a civilian?), he tried out the medical side of things, but decided on a different route.

That's what I can recall from the topic - which dates back 3-4 years.

View Quote

He initially washed out of PJ selection, which I'm just posting as a factoid, not something detracting from him or his character.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Disregard. Came here via active topics and didn’t notice it wasn’t GD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top