Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2024 6:09:27 PM EDT
I have an older Kac lower and the buffer retainer doesn’t have enough coverage so I need to give it one more spin but I can’t get the dimples castle nut off. People recommend the brownells tool but they seem to be forever out of stock. Anyone else know a good tool to get it off?
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I also am interested in locating a tool.  Hoping to find one with ability to properly mate to torque wrench
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:09:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyUtah427] [#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:02:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By brodband8:
I also am interested in locating a tool.  Hoping to find one with ability to properly mate to torque wrench
View Quote

This might work.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:40:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tejas1836] [#5]
This is what I use, Tapco, basically what JohnnyUtah427 uses. I modified the pin to fit better, made it slightly smaller diameter for a better fit and shorter so that it didn't bottom out early, so that the castle nut now fits the entire radius of the tool. ETA: forget the torque wrench, just tighten it up snug as possible
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 12:56:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: krecon1] [#6]
I had an older DPMS wrench and the pin sheared off.  I bought the Brownells tool and have been using that.  I also bought a $330 jig to hold the lower in place when tightening castle nuts.  Expensive, but everything stays in alignment now.  They’re only produced in small batches, so snag one when you can.  

Lower Jig
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By krecon1:
I had an older DPMS wrench and the pin sheared off.  I bought the Brownells tool and have been using that.  I also bought a $330 jig to hold the lower in place when tightening castle nuts.  Expensive, but everything stays in alignment now.  They’re only produced in small batches, so snag one when you can.  

Lower Jig
View Quote

VISM makes a lower receiver block that does the same thing for much less
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:51:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Optimal] [#8]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:38:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tactical_Bucket] [#9]
KAC uses the brownell tool. The fact you can attach a 1/2" torque wrench to the tool that applies properly radiused torque makes it better than anything else available. It's in and out of stock often.
Similar tools that utilize a dynamic jaw are particularly bad because they move, slip, and damage components of both the tool and the work.

https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/gun-tools/rifle-tools/ar-15m16m4-buttstock-tool/
https://www.brownells.com/tools-cleaning/gun-tools/rifle-tools/ar-15m16m4-replacement-pins-for-brownells-buttstock-tool/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top