Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2019 12:42:48 AM EDT
Does anyone know what the process would be to Convert a regular 870 to 6.5” -10” SBS. Looking to use it as a Underbarrel Shotgun so shortest possible is what I’m looking for. I want to Efile so I’m looking to convert a a rifle/firearm and not buy one on a form 4
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 12:47:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By JonathanwFL:
Does anyone know what the process would be to Convert a regular 870 to 6.5” -10” SBS. Looking to use it as a Underbarrel Shotgun so shortest possible is what I’m looking for. I want to Efile so I’m looking to convert a a rifle/firearm and not buy one on a form 4
View Quote
Form 1. Remove the magazine tube from the receiver, shorten and solder in receiver. Remove barrel lug from barrel, solder back on at appropriate length. Refinish everything.

Good luck
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
I remember someone mentiong a shop that could do the lug move on the barrel,  anyone recall who it was?

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
Probably Rose Action Sports. @guncat I believe.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 5:15:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Donner_und_Blitzen] [#6]
Originally Posted By opd124:

Form 1. Remove the magazine tube from the receiver, shorten and solder in receiver. Remove barrel lug from barrel, solder back on at appropriate length. Refinish everything.

Good luck
View Quote
Removing and resoldering the mag tube would be a major pain in the ass having to deal with the tube and rear barrel support.  I used a lathe with a large four jaw chuck and steady rest. Cut the tube to the need length and recut the square thread.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 3:35:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThomasGarcia] [#7]

Good luck
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JonathanwFL:

Good luck
Don’t forget the action bars need to be shortened and the forend re-worked as well.  There’s a lot of work involved.  With that being said, shoot Josh at Cotton Branch Customs an email.  He’s the expert authority on anything SBS.  He’s done a 10” 870 SBS for me in the past.

EDIT - to echo what was already said... there is no removing the mag tube from an 870 receiver. It’s a cut and re-thread job.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I've done mine to 9.5" (wish I had done it at 10") and a few others for customers at my shop.  I've even done a couple of 80% SBS's, meaning do all the work to shorten the mag tube, action bar assemble and pump handle, but leave the barrel 18".  Get the stamp back and you cut the barel.
I'm at work and don't have pics right now but it's not hard if you have access to the tools.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ThomasGarcia:
EDIT - to echo what was already said... there is no removing the mag tube from an 870 receiver. It's a cut and re-thread job.
View Quote
If you heat the joint enough, it will come out.

I've done that to replace 1100 and 11-87 mag tubes. Barrel support comes off with the tube. High-temp solder back on.

It would be easier to re-thread if you have the means to do that.

Some have shortened 870s into the MCS length. Last I heard, Remington won't sell the MCS-specific parts to non-government purchasers.

I think when the barrel ring moves that far aft, its profile has be altered at the top because the O.D. of the barrel is larger there.

I just chopped immediately forward of the barrel ring to create my breacher. That's about 12". Short enough for me.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
If you heat the joint enough, it will come out.

I've done that to replace 1100 and 11-87 mag tubes. Barrel support comes off with the tube. High-temp solder back on.

It would be easier to re-thread if you have the means to do that.

Some have shortened 870s into the MCS length. Last I heard, Remington won't sell the MCS-specific parts to non-government purchasers.

I think when the barrel ring moves that far aft, its profile has be altered at the top because the O.D. of the barrel is larger there.

I just chopped immediately forward of the barrel ring to create my breacher. That's about 12". Short enough for me.
View Quote
Yeap, Remington won't sell the parts but I found the MCS forend at a shop in Canada.  I have it waiting on a new 870 to chop.
I threaded my magazine tube on the receiver, just held the whole thing in the lathe and spun it that way.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:20:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BradN:
I've done mine to 9.5" (wish I had done it at 10") and a few others for customers at my shop.  I've even done a couple of 80% SBS's, meaning do all the work to shorten the mag tube, action bar assemble and pump handle, but leave the barrel 18".  Get the stamp back and you cut the barel.
I'm at work and don't have pics right now but it's not hard if you have access to the tools.
View Quote
Post some pics of your work!
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:31:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's one that I have handy.  I'll get more of it later.
I shortened a longer pump handle from the front for this.  The MCS forend won't fit, the barrel hanger is about 1/2" too far back.  I'm debating either building a new gun just for the forend or selling it off.
Attachment Attached File

Right now it wears an original Speedfeed birdshead that's about an inch shorter than the Shockwave one.  And it still needs to be refinished...
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 12:25:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By BradN:
Here's one that I have handy.  I'll get more of it later.
I shortened a longer pump handle from the front for this.  The MCS forend won't fit, the barrel hanger is about 1/2" too far back.  I'm debating either building a new gun just for the forend or selling it off.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/72316/SBS870_jpg-1161349.JPG
Right now it wears an original Speedfeed birdshead that's about an inch shorter than the Shockwave one.  And it still needs to be refinished...
View Quote
Looks awesome! I’m interested in some closeups of that forend modification... looks clean.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I realize some folks already know this and I don't think it will help the OP, but if you can find an 870 Special Field you can end up with about a 10-1/4" inch shorty without having to modify anything other than chop the barrel.  The barrel lug on these is already closer to the receiver than a standard 870.  Forend and action bars are obviously shorter as well from the factory.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top