Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2023 7:57:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stanprophet09]
Anyone here built a Remage 8.6blk yet? I have all of the stuff I need on order and should be coming in at some point this week. Went with a 16" 1-3 twist for now, I am going to eventually build one on a custom action if I like how everything works out and go with a 12".

Think I want to do this on a Lightweight chassis with a folding stock, reminiscent of a fix or Cross style rifle. Would love to hear about anyone build, or see what you have done.

Current Parts coming:

Faxon 16" 1-3 Twist
Q Cherry Bomb M18-1.5
Plan B Mount
Action Wrench for R700
2 Boxes of Gorilla 285gr Fracturing Subs
Brass Cutting Jig for Converting 6.5 Creed to 8.6Blk

Parts I currently have:
R700 SA
EGW 20 Moa Rail
Scope and rings
KRG Bravo Chassis
Timney Calvin Elite Trigger
Barrel Vice

So lets see some Remage Builds, any Caliber or any 8.6blk stuff!
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I built one on a blueprinted Rem Model 7 action.  Faxxon RemAge 16" barrel, HS Precision stock.  I have the Q Cherry Bomb But I have not found an adapter to go between the Q-CB and my 9mil can.

I have plenty of 6.5 CM brass and the dies to make the ammo.  The temp went extreme this summer so the project went on the back burner.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 12:27:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stanprophet09] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AJ-in-NM:
I built one on a blueprinted Rem Model 7 action.  Faxxon RemAge 16" barrel, HS Precision stock.  I have the Q Cherry Bomb But I have not found an adapter to go between the Q-CB and my 9mil can.

I have plenty of 6.5 CM brass and the dies to make the ammo.  The temp went extreme this summer so the project went on the back burner.
View Quote

Check with Ecco Machine, they make a ton of adapters.

ETA: The Rearden mounts also work with the Cherry Bombs as well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 4:00:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: turbobrick] [#3]
I've had my Faxon Remage together for a good while now.  Has a Timney Elite and a Badger bolt knob.  I ordered the Pork Sword and waited forever, so it was initially in a factory Rem stock with the forend trimmed back.  Finally the chassis came, but no stock, so I waited some more.  

Ultimately, the PS stock came, but I really disliked it, so I put a Fix stock on.  I have a Rex Silentium direct thread adapter in the Hybrid with a Ti 9mm front cap for now, Porq Chop in jail should be approved soon now.  I have the XL Cherry Bomb in M18x1.5 and one in 5/8x24 for my Tikka in 338-06 for the the PC finally shows up.

Plans for now are to go to a lighter scope and keep working on my reloads.  Been having great success in both supers and subs.  Have a ton of converted brass and a bunch of Gorilla/Q factory brass.

I also have another Remage in an Oryx chassis, it's a PRS style 6br, shoots great, reminds me I need to get it back out to the range soon.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By turbobrick:
I've had my Faxon Remage together for a good while now.  Has a Timney Elite and a Badger bolt knob.  I ordered the Pork Sword and waited forever, so it was initially in a factory Rem stock with the forend trimmed back.  Finally the chassis came, but no stock, so I waited some more.  

Ultimately, the PS stock came, but I really disliked it, so I put a Fix stock on.  I have a Rex Silentium direct thread adapter in the Hybrid with a Ti 9mm front cap for now, Porq Chop in jail should be approved soon now.  I have the XL Cherry Bomb in M18x1.5 and one in 5/8x24 for my Tikka in 338-06 for the the PC finally shows up.

Plans for now are to go to a lighter scope and keep working on my reloads.  Been having great success in both supers and subs.  Have a ton of converted brass and a bunch of Gorilla/Q factory brass.

I also have another Remage in an Oryx chassis, it's a PRS style 6br, shoots great, reminds me I need to get it back out to the range soon.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/164254/IMG_1281_jpeg-2944383.JPG
View Quote

Awesome! How hard it it to find the Fix stocks.

I am also looking at the pork sword. Want to keep this thing light weight. Currently my scope is a bit too heavy. Going to probably go with an LPVO in the future.

Rem 700 factory action
Long Rifles Inc fluted bolt with bolt knob
KRG Bravo
Triggertech Primary
Diamondback Tactical scope
Cheap ass scope mount I got in trade
Q cherry bomb XL
Faxon Remage 16” 1-3 Twist

Have a mount coming for my F1 can, should be pretty good on this setup. Going to get a mount for my Hybrid 46 soon.

Going to pickup a custom action soon. Think that will get a form 1 then 12” bbl if I like this setup. Want to do a mini chassis with either a Cross or Fix style of stock, or go to an MPX stock with a cheek riser. Also have a Timiney calvin Elite that I need to find the bolt that attaches the bolt stop, it is the fully adjustable one. This action had my 6.5 creed factory barrel. The Receiver looked pretty good when I pulled it apart. One of the few RR remington actions that had the bolt timed and this gun shot 140eld hand loads at .5 MOA. Was my first PRS rifle.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:

Awesome! How hard it it to find the Fix stocks.

I am also looking at the pork sword. Want to keep this thing light weight. Currently my scope is a bit too heavy. Going to probably go with an LPVO in the future.

Rem 700 factory action
Long Rifles Inc fluted bolt with bolt knob
KRG Bravo
Triggertech Primary
Diamondback Tactical scope
Cheap ass scope mount I got in trade
Q cherry bomb XL
Faxon Remage 16" 1-3 Twist

Have a mount coming for my F1 can, should be pretty good on this setup. Going to get a mount for my Hybrid 46 soon.

Going to pickup a custom action soon. Think that will get a form 1 then 12" bbl if I like this setup. Want to do a mini chassis with either a Cross or Fix style of stock, or go to an MPX stock with a cheek riser. Also have a Timiney calvin Elite that I need to find the bolt that attaches the bolt stop, it is the fully adjustable one. This action had my 6.5 creed factory barrel. The Receiver looked pretty good when I pulled it apart. One of the few RR remington actions that had the bolt timed and this gun shot 140eld hand loads at .5 MOA. Was my first PRS rifle.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/199367/IMG_8427_jpeg-2945492.JPG
View Quote
Fix stocks have been surprisingly available.  I initially had a Razor 1-10 on this gun, I love the 5-25, but I think something in a 3-15 and 1/2 the weight would be perfect.  I really like the traditional stock look and feel, but it's hard to beat a folding chassis.  My Mini Fix is probably my favorite fun rifle, but the 8.6 is gaining fast.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Fix stocks have been surprisingly available.  I initially had a Razor 1-10 on this gun, I love the 5-25, but I think something in a 3-15 and 1/2 the weight would be perfect.  I really like the traditional stock look and feel, but it's hard to beat a folding chassis.  My Mini Fix is probably my favorite fun rifle, but the 8.6 is gaining fast.
View Quote

Sweet!

Yea I like chassis but I dumped all of the MPA and higher end KRG that I had. I ended up going to a Manners with the mini chassis on my match gun. Kept the KRG bravo, and have a couple of the B&C M40 stocks as well. Great stocks for the money.

Having a fold stock chassis and a light gun is a wonderful thing for hiking or hunting. 308 cross is on my list at some point.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool thread. Bump
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 5:10:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: turbobrick] [#8]
This thread got me fired back up about my 8.6. I pulled the 5-25 and swapped a 4-16 diamondback tactical FFP off another rifle. That shaved a pound, but its still a little over 9 pounds. That is about as good as I can get it, the Porq Chop probably will only save an ounce, maybe. With an even lighter scope I could maybe get this thing to 8.5 pounds. I'm pretty spoiled, my hunting 22" 300wsm weighs just under 7.8 pounds with suppressor. Anyway, I found blem 300gn .338 Sierra Matchkings for 1/2 price, so reloading should be kicking into high gear soon.  I think I'm going to shoot up the remainder of the Gorilla factory ammo I have to continue barrel break in, I had a non-paying bidder the last time I tried to sell it on GB.  I'd rather trade it for someone's once fired but thats tough to find.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm interested in a 8.6 build myself. Just bought a Rex 338-8.6 can and figured I would have enough time waiting for the can to figure out what direction I want to go. I did find a 12" Solus pistol already built. I could SBR it then get the stock. Would the Fix stock fit on the Solus chassis?
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#10]
i knew i shouldn't have popped in here , now i want to revisit my original plan for my shorty bolt gun

i was building a short bolt gun the same time the 8.6 blk was still in development and didn't want to wait around to finish the gun so i put a 308 barrel on as a placeholder until the 8.6 stuff started rolling out. even after barrels . dies , brass , and ammo became available i kept the 308 barrel on because the gun ended up being a pretty good shooter and i already had everything to handload for it.  after seeing this thread i guess i'm going to have to be on the lookout this black friday for parts to put together an 8.6 bolt gun like i originally planned for

pic of how my build ended up , i could just swap the barrel like i originally planned but it really likes lapua 200gr subsonics and shoots them well

Link Posted: 11/6/2023 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 1iviper:
i knew i shouldn't have popped in here , now i want to revisit my original plan for my shorty bolt gun

i was building a short bolt gun the same time the 8.6 blk was still in development and didn't want to wait around to finish the gun so i put a 308 barrel on as a placeholder until the 8.6 stuff started rolling out. even after barrels . dies , brass , and ammo became available i kept the 308 barrel on because the gun ended up being a pretty good shooter and i already had everything to handload for it.  after seeing this thread i guess i'm going to have to be on the lookout this black friday for parts to put together an 8.6 bolt gun like i originally planned for

pic of how my build ended up , i could just swap the barrel like i originally planned but it really likes lapua 200gr subsonics and shoots them well

https://i.postimg.cc/VNjWS98D/20231029_175939.jpg

View Quote
I very nearly paid too much for a Side Chick to build my 8.6 on, looks really good.  At the time, buying a real Fix would have been a similar cost.
Link Posted: 11/7/2023 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I very nearly paid too much for a Side Chick to build my 8.6 on, looks really good.  At the time, buying a real Fix would have been a similar cost.
View Quote
i had planned on using a pork sword chassis for my shorty build but availability just wasn't there , everything went sideways from the start on this one.  it was going to be a 6" or 8" 300 blk gun with a pork sword chassis and Q stock , very similar to your rifle.  i had picked up the sidechick to put a bergara b14 ridge sp barreled action in for a packable hunting rifle but a friend of mine wanted the bergara for a hunt he had coming up so i had the sidechick in hand and no clue when black collar would be shipping chassis's so i just used it for the build.  just a stock was about half of what i paid for the chassis so it wasn't to hateful and i didn't have to buy a second stock this way.  then i had to switch to 308 from 300blk because i couldn't find a R700 bolt with a 223 bolt face and the action i had on hand was a 308 bolt face , i figured both shooting subs is a wash but the 308 case capacity for supers was a plus.  then down the road when 8.6 barrels became available all i would have to do is swap barrels to have an 8.6 blk instead of a 300 blk , best laid plans and all that

i knew i was in trouble when i popped into this thread and that it would cause a new build.  now that barrel's , dies , components , and ammo are available i'll probably be building a clone of your rifle if i can find a pork sword chassis and handguard.  and i guess i need to start gathering reloading stuffs , come on black friday

Link Posted: 11/7/2023 10:28:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 1iviper:
i had planned on using a pork sword chassis for my shorty build but availability just wasn't there , everything went sideways from the start on this one.  it was going to be a 6" or 8" 300 blk gun with a pork sword chassis and Q stock , very similar to your rifle.  i had picked up the sidechick to put a bergara b14 ridge sp barreled action in for a packable hunting rifle but a friend of mine wanted the bergara for a hunt he had coming up so i had the sidechick in hand and no clue when black collar would be shipping chassis's so i just used it for the build.  just a stock was about half of what i paid for the chassis so it wasn't to hateful and i didn't have to buy a second stock this way.  then i had to switch to 308 from 300blk because i couldn't find a R700 bolt with a 223 bolt face and the action i had on hand was a 308 bolt face , i figured both shooting subs is a wash but the 308 case capacity for supers was a plus.  then down the road when 8.6 barrels became available all i would have to do is swap barrels to have an 8.6 blk instead of a 300 blk , best laid plans and all that

i knew i was in trouble when i popped into this thread and that it would cause a new build.  now that barrel's , dies , components , and ammo are available i'll probably be building a clone of your rifle if i can find a pork sword chassis and handguard.  and i guess i need to start gathering reloading stuffs , come on black friday

View Quote
I have my original PS handguard that fit with the 12" barrel and Hybrid.  When I cut back to 8" I'd have needed to cut the handguard.  I tried the Black Collar SD handguard, but it just wasn't to my liking.  The Farend isn't my favorite solution but it has grown on me, and its by far the cheapest.  KAK makes a Remage nut that allows you to use any AR10 handguard, and that has me thinking for yet another phase of this project.  I did get out to the range and finalized my loads for the 300smk and 350 Makers, so that was great to finally accomplish.  Man does the Porq Chop sound good with subs.
Top Top