Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2018 12:54:18 AM EDT
I am working on a 7k batch of 9mm.  Im almost at 5k.  Getting really old.  Cleaning and inspecting the brass is the worst step IMHO.

I didnt reload for over 2 years due to relocating, renting, buying a new place.  Essentially in a 2 year period I moved 3 times.  Not fun but i ended up much better off with land and my own range etc.

I barely shot during that period.  My ammo has dwindled though.  I have been just about obsessed with gathering more components and loading as much as I can.  It's to damn hot to shoot now so i might as load everything i can until i run out of a component for each caliber.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 1:05:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Dang, that's a lot of ammo to shoot though! Just think of all the $$ you are saving :)
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes it can get tedious. I fucked up my right arm royally. Loaded several hundred rounds of .223/556. Fucked up the shoulder and sure as hell felt it the next day. Yet thought about it and it was a good work out for the arm even after. Got a lot of the range back into it. I also have a Lee Hand Press that I will use for smaller load like 50 or so yet it is also a good work out for loading all of them. Would love a multi stage press although think it would make my lazier than I am. Reloading is relaxing to me and something to do while watching movies.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 1:16:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to feel that way when i would do big runs at one time.

I learned to keep my stocks up and just do smaller runs.

Now that my brother reloads with me it's a non issue.  Even rifle brass prep isn't a big deal.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#6]
This batch will last me a couple years or more.  I just like to not worry about shortages after panics etc.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the most I ever did in a day was 2k .45 acp.

Repetitive motions are bad beyond a certain point.

500 is a good number to do and get away from the bench.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Last 9mm I reloaded I bought primed aluminum cases for $.01/round more than purchasing primers.  Well worth the extra cent to not have to prep brass.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#10]
That is what winter in MN is for brass prep and reloading!

Handgun
My biggest weekend ammo run was 6K of 45 ACP.  That was done over two evenings.

Now, I limit runs of a 1K at a time about 90 minutes of set up, machine prep, loading and QC checks.  And, try to stay up  on supplies!
I have pails full of tumbled and clean 9 and 45.  And, 38/357 in separate pails.

Rifle is usually done in smaller lots.

As always if you do not have have time or inclination do not reload.

Reloading is relaxing to me.  Turn on a ball game and go to town!
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't do it all in one day.  I have worked on this batch here and there as I have had time.  Still gets tedious.  The most I usually do at a time is 1k.  Sometimes more occasionally but often only 500rds at a time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#12]
7,000 of anything would be tedious, oppressive and no fun at all.  If it were a regular thing, you might want to invest in a 650 or 1050.

If 7,000 cartridges last you a year or more, then a 550 will get the job done with ease.

Break it up into smaller batches of about 1,000.  Production lots of that size are perfect for a 550.  That's what I do.

Actually, unless you are doing bulk storage (loose in a container), you will need a huge number of MTM storage boxes.

All those things push me in the direction of doing about 500 to 1,000 at a time, store in good boxes, and repeat as needed to feed the shooting habit.

I cannot imagine myself doing 7,000 reloads on a single stage press, no matter the lot size.

What type of press are you using?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
7,000 of anything would be tedious, oppressive and no fun at all.  If it were a regular thing, you might want to invest in a 650 or 1050.

If 7,000 cartridges last you a year or more, then a 550 will get the job done with ease.

Break it up into smaller batches of about 1,000.  Production lots of that size are perfect for a 550.  That's what I do.

Actually, unless you are doing bulk storage (loose in a container), you will need a huge number of MTM storage boxes.

All those things push me in the direction of doing about 500 to 1,000 at a time, store in good boxes, and repeat as needed to feed the shooting habit.

I cannot imagine myself doing 7,000 reloads on a single stage press, no matter the lot size.

What type of press are you using?
View Quote
A 650 with casefeeder.  It's really not hard but I chip away at it every time I get free time.  When I am done I wont reload for a few weeks.  I also have 3 young kids and land to deal with.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#14]
7,000 rounds get used up in a few weeks?  I must misunderstand you.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#15]
3 young kids is tedious

I try to do a lot of bulk loading in the winter
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
7,000 rounds get used up in a few weeks?  I must misunderstand you.
View Quote
No this will last me 2 years or more.

I shoot and load more .45 than I do 9mm.  I only had about 1500-2k pieces of 9mm brass.  I got sick of needing to load it more than once a year.  I recently bought a full large flat priority mail box of fired 9mm brass for $125.  I think I have enough to load 7k.  I have loaded close to 5k now.  I am not sure if I will get to load any more until the weekend.

I have probably 4k .45 brass with about 3k of it loaded.  It may get jealous and I'll have to buy more .45 brass to even it out.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am working on a 7k batch of 9mm.  Im almost at 5k.  Getting really old.
View Quote
Congratulations on the new place and range.

Sorry to hear that what should be a fun and relaxing hobby has turned into a chore.

I don't ever reload more than 200 cartridges at a time so it's always fresh for me.

But, if you are getting burned out, please consider taking a break.  When things get tedious that's when accidents or omissions are more likely and you was to make the best, safest ammunition you can.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I've always enjoyed reloading.  I think a big part of that is that I always break it up into batches that are manageable.  When I HAVE to load a lot, for like a big match or a training class, and there I am a couple days before trying to crank out a couple thousand rounds, yeah.  It turns into a chore (and odds of mistakes greatly increase!) and that affects my enjoyment considerably.

I wish I had more time now to spend at the bench.  I've moved several times over the past couple years, and now, finally, have my Dillon all cleaned, lubed, setup and ready to to start making some ammo!  Now...if I can just get the hour I need to do some reloading....    I guess I am fortunate that currently, I can afford to buy ammo if I need it Right Now.  But, like others I do like to have a stock pile built up.  Which, after all the moving, that pile has greatly diminished.

But mostly, I just miss the destressing nature of sitting at the bench doing whatever process I am doing.  Very relaxing for me.  I need to make the time for it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:18:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I do batches of 100 then walk away for awhile. I think the most I've ever loaded in a week is 500 rounds of 45 acp.

Of course, this is all on a single-stage press. If I were competing, or just shooting more, I would definitely step up to a progressive machine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#20]
For me, the size of a batch is first determined by the number of cases I can fit in my tumbler.  That restricts me to about 200 cases of 223Rem or perhaps 400 cases of 45ACP.  I don't count the cases but you get the idea - the tumbler is the first limitation on batch size.

Sometimes, when I get a huge load of brass (thousands), I clean batch after batch of brass and keep the clean brass in a container.

This puts me in a situation like the OP, too much brass.  <-- Is that even possible?

At that point, I load what I need.  Everything else waits until I have the right "mind set" (maybe bored and need something to do).

With the proper mind set, careful set up, weighing and checking quality, etc, is fun to do.  I am safe and not distracted.

I can easily load 300 rounds of rifle in an hour or about 450 rounds of pistol ammo in that same hour.   That's a lot but does not make a dent in a deep bucket of brass.  I can load more or walk away leaving it all set up knowing it is waiting when I am once again ready.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 2:21:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think the most I ever did in a day was 2k .45 acp.

Repetitive motions are bad beyond a certain point.

500 is a good number to do and get away from the bench.
View Quote
This is my opinion after messing up my shoulder doing 9mm WITHOUT a case feeder.  Reaching above my shoulders every 22 cases on the 650 messed with me.  Bought a case feeder and I'm good to go 500 at a time.  I actually take a little break and surf the internet for a little while between each 100 so it doesn't get tedious.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I generally hold it to about 500 for pistol rounds.

No point in getting tired or distracted and screwing up a gun.

Let alone body parts in proximity.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is my opinion after messing up my shoulder doing 9mm WITHOUT a case feeder.  Reaching above my shoulders every 22 cases on the 650 messed with me.  Bought a case feeder and I'm good to go 500 at a time.  I actually take a little break and surf the internet for a little while between each 100 so it doesn't get tedious.
View Quote
Yeah...I take a break after every 100 rounds too...gotta refill the primer "magazine" anyway.

I'll take the loaded round bin off my 650 and sit on the sofa with the TV on and place the loose rounds into those MTM or Berry's plastic ammo boxes.  I stick them bulet nose down.  Then run my finger over the headstamps to check for high primers.

Then I stripe them with a sharpie.

All that loosens up my neck and shoulder muscles too..
makes it less tedious.

EDIT:  I reckon you can't QC/QA your reloads too much.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#25]
My 650 stays primed all the time so I pump out 100-200 rounds a few nights a week.  This keeps me in ammo for weekend matches and practice.

I can't handle the marathon sessions.

ETA:  I'm too lazy to inspect brass.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My 650 stays primed all the time so I pump out 100-200 rounds a few nights a week.  This keeps me in ammo for weekend matches and practice.

I can't handle the marathon sessions.

ETA:  I'm too lazy to inspect brass.
View Quote
I usually just make the ammo I am going to shoot that day or week.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Break it all up.

I tumble cases after getting them sorted by caliber.  Dirty brass goes into a small cardboard box that allows the rest of the dirt to settle to the bottom.  I usually have no more than 2-300 dirty cases before cleaning.

Clean brass goes in a bucket.  Dry tumble with a capful of Nu Finish and corn cob.   1 gal, 2.5 and 5 gal pails are available at Home Depot or lowes.

Once clean I drop a bunch in a smaller rectangular piece of Tupperware.  If you shake them most will flip headstamp down.  Try and get one layer or close to it in the bottom.  I then grab a small group of 5 to 10 in a hand and look at the headstamps, culling military crimped brass and a couple headstamps that are oddball junk brass.  This sorted brass then goes in another bucket waiting on reloading.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:41:52 AM EDT
[#28]
And for the love of John Moses Browning, if you stop for the day scribble yourself a note to toss in each container as to where the contents are in the process and if rifle which lot batch of brass it is.   Nothing worse to think you will be back at it tomorrow or the day after and find life happening and you come back weeks later and you forget, is this the brass that had 2 loads of 12 loads that you will use as drops, is this the coffee can of finished rounds 3 grains of bullseye for the j frame or something else much hotter.

I say this from mistakes on my own bench.   I can be consistently inconsistent.  It is nice to find a can of 7.62x51 to see a dated note that says once fired, sized to 1.62” headspace, tumbled clean, ready to load.   This is in a 12 year old can that I didn’t even remember having.

I also keep a couple log books and have referred back to them because I didn’t write a label or it’s missing.

Also if you’re doing big batches I consider moving from MTM boxes to Usgi  cans or bags like the Dillon border shift canvas bags.   They work well for batches.   I have a both.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:42:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Another member of the 500 rounds/session club. On my 650 that's around an hour, including setup, QC and clean-up.

If I need more for a major match, I plan for an additional day or two (hour or two) of  reloading.  All in All, not too bad considering i'm creating custom loaded ammo, specific to my gun.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#30]
9mm sucks to reload
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Reloading is relaxing and therapeutic to me. It takes my mind off of all the other BS going on in my life. I try to buy and load in bulk 1k rounds at a time. That’s about as much as my retirement check allows.

I can usually load a few hundred rounds at one sitting till my little lap dog starts pawing at my leg and crying and I have to go back to the recliner. She lets me know when it’s time to take a break.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I deprime my cases when I get home.  One other shooter and I take turns sorting cases.  We shoot on a restricted range so we only have to sort the cases from our group (everyone is supposed to police

their brass after a session).  Each shooter has a unique mark on the case bottom.  I deprime my cases when I get home.  The dirty deprimed cases go into a Costco candy jug.  The cases get wet

tumbled when I feel like it.

I uncover the 650 for batches of 500.  I load up one primer sleeve (100) and load those.  When done I take the full output box, case gauge, MTM box and a sharpie to a nice cool place.  Each round is

gauged and put into the MTM box and marked.  Any round needing rework is taken care of immediately.  If I feel like it I will load another 100 and go through the same process.  It usually takes me a

ffew days to load 500 rounds.  Occasionally I feel like loading more.  I am relaxed throughout the process.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Don't let the numbers overwhelm you.  Concentrate on the process and you'll make your way through that pile of brass.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#36]
That was a little mean.  Not to say that I don't like it a lot.  

OP, the thing that seems to be your biggest problem is that you're spending so much time looking at the "big picture" you can't relax and enjoy what you're doing.  You've said you're doing something I'd suggest - working at it a bit at a time.  Just don't let the final count feel like a weight on your shoulders.

You're at 5k or so?  Nothing says you can't sit back and tell yourself "wow, that was a lot of loading!" and not crank on your press for a few days.  Or just do a little.  Or just set up for later, like loading primer tubes, cleaning up the bench, etc.  Taking a break isn't quitting, and maybe a couple of days playing with the kids and enjoying having enough land to have a private range is what you need to get out of the feeling that you're chipping away at an infinite task.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#37]
9mm sucks for reloading.  I dread it every time.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
9mm sucks for reloading.  I dread it every time.
View Quote
Why?  My 650 makes it easy.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#39]
I hate rifle brass prep. Really, really hate it. I shoot my pistol stuff just as fast as I make it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top