Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2022 10:19:06 PM EDT
Something I have been thinking about lately.
I mostly reload 9mm and a little bit of .223.

I probably have around 1500 9mm brass in current rotation.
I reload as needed and stage batches as I feel like it.

So how do you guys manage varying reloaded brass of the same caliber?
Do you meticulously keep once reloaded, twice reloaded, thrice reloaded separated?
I really havent tried to keep it segregated and sometimes I get extra from a fellow shooter or friend and that just went into the mix.
Im about on my 3rd reload cycle but some is once fired as well.

When should I just chuck it all?  I have to think that as I approach a certain reload amount I will have lots of culling in the batch?

What are some of y'alls methods or mindsets?
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Bro its 9mm who cares? If it was your precision rig I'd say yeah mark your brass with a pen and don't pick up randos, but its 9mm... Just run it through and shoot it.

Cull it when the case walls crack
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Last few years been getting rid of surplus 9mm.  My methodology is to pick one or two headstamps, I settled on WIN and RP, keep those segregated.  

Anything with a NATO cross (crimped primers) gets scrapped.  Everything else gets sold or used for friends that come over and reload 9mm and don't have any brass.

When I get too much WIN and RP I'll scrap the RP by swapping new range pick ups WIN headstamped brass for used RP brass which will then be scrapped.  Long term goal is to have only Winchester brass.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't keep up with the number of reloads for pistol brass. The usual failure mode is a split in the case mouth or body and sometimes a loose primer pocked. Except for the failures I throw it all in the same bucket and reload it again. I only sort by head stamp if I plan on shooting for group size or I am planning on some hot reloads. I mostly shoot middle of the road loads and I don't really have many case failures. 45 ACP seems to be the worst to have failures and they are usually splits in the case body.

Rifle cases are a different matter. I have had plenty of neck splits and a few case head separations. I do keep these cases separated by the number of firings/trimmings. On the fourth trimming I will shoot them one more time and toss them. Back when I would shoot high power matches I would not shoot any brass but twice in a match. I would continue to shoot it for practice. Most of my shooting is with semi autos and they are pretty rough on brass and usually require trimming every firing.

I have been reloading for 40 years and have lost count of how many rounds I have reloaded but it is probably over 100,000. This includes at least 5 different pistol cartridges and 6 rifle.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm with Greenspan on this but I must say I usually follow AssaultRifler like a shadow.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool that is what I was leaning towards.
Thanks for the info.

Dryflash,
I know you uniform/remove crimp the primer pockets.
I was going to ask how you managed new brass not processed among your already processed.
Based on your post, I read that after you have decapped, you inspect each piece and find any that are not processed.
I was wondering if you just processed them all again.
But you said you can see the difference.  

Are you also inspecting for cracked cases as well?
Im specifically referring to pistol cases.

I have not been inspecting my cases after wet tumbling.
I have only had a couple cracked cases so far and I found them while I was loading them by the obvious difference in feel.
But I am not using a progressive yet.

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I also have the new brass getting mixed in with old brass problem.  

My approach is similar to 'flash's, but I rely on the RCBS military crimp remover to tell my cases apart from new ground pick ups.  Requires that the case be deprimed though but the bevel it creates is noticeable.

Attachment Attached File

Another technique is to scrounge for once fired brass before shooting your brass and that'll get the bulk of the once fired segregated on the spot, but when picking up my own brass will get some once fired not noticed until down the road.

Usually you can still tell once vs non-once fired.  If it has primer sealant, it's not mine.   If you see case coloring from annealing, it's not mine as wet tumbling removes all that.  Does it have a nickel plated brass vs just a brass primer?  If my reloads use nickel plated primers and find a case that has non plated primers, it's not mine.

The bevel on the primer pocket is my last level of defense.

Now if you swage vs ream, hard to eyeball a swaged vs unswaged primer pocket, so that's a plus for reaming vs swaging

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Most pistol cartridges I don't pay much attention to. Rifle cartridges, separated by firing count. 223 is larger batches
precision for my Grendel and Creedmoor's small batches. It be the same for the 6ARC and 6.5 PRC when I start loading those
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#11]
9mm shoot till it cracks or is lost.

45 ACP is sorted WW and Fed is only for use in moon clips for 625.
Balance goes into pail for use with auto loading ammo.

Precision rifle brass kept in MTM boxes and tracked.

223 bulk is simple.
I color code the brass.  Sharpies! Blue Green Orange Red Black
It is sorted into buckets....Black goes to scrap bucket.

38 Special shoot till it cracks

357 Magnum shoot till it cracks

357 Sig shoot till lost.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Something I have been thinking about lately.
I mostly reload 9mm and a little bit of .223.

I probably have around 1500 9mm brass in current rotation.
I reload as needed and stage batches as I feel like it.

So how do you guys manage varying reloaded brass of the same caliber?
Do you meticulously keep once reloaded, twice reloaded, thrice reloaded separated?
I really havent tried to keep it segregated and sometimes I get extra from a fellow shooter or friend and that just went into the mix.
Im about on my 3rd reload cycle but some is once fired as well.

When should I just chuck it all?  I have to think that as I approach a certain reload amount I will have lots of culling in the batch?

What are some of y'alls methods or mindsets?
View Quote

For 9mm?

Pppffffttttt!!!!!

Forget about it!

It is not worth the time or trouble to keep it separate by once fired vs. twice fired vs. three times fired.

On the other hand, now, most of my .223  (5.56) brass I do keep separated.

Most of that brass started out like this:

Attachment Attached File

So being just once fired, it still has the primers crimped in.

I use a Swage-It tool mounted on 650 to take care of that.

When that stuff gets loaded up again and fired, it goes into a GI surplus can marked “2X Fired”,  That way I know the primer crimps have already been taken care of.

EDIT:

I also keep it separated by Lake City year group.  So like “LC19” or “LC15”.  If I go on a reloading “binge”, then  I take whatever ammo can has the most brass in.  If it is the LC15 can, so be it.  Then I try to bring up  all that LC15  ammo to the same level.  Either completely prepped and “ready to load” (RTL) .  Or fully loaded ammo.

EDIT #2:  whoops!  I forgot about the Lapua brass in .223 and .308 that I bought as brand new virgin brass.  OH!  YEAH!  That stuff is kept totally separate from the Lake City brass.  I probably still have some virgin Lapua brass that I haven’t touched yet.  And then there is maybe 20 to 40 pieces each of once fired Lapua segregated all by its lonesome.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks gentlemen,
I appreciate all the responses.

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:13:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I don’t track firings on pistol brass. On my rifle brass like 6.5 creedmoor I write the number of times it’s been fired on the label with the load data.

Once it’s been fired if I’m sticking the brass in a ziplock bag I’ll write the number of firings on a 3x5 card and put it the bag.

If I want to wet tumble brass from two different lots or with a different number of firings I’ll leave the spent primer in one lot and deprime the other lot. Then I can separate them into the correct lot/number of firings after drying the brass
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Last few years been getting rid of surplus 9mm.  My methodology is to pick one or two headstamps, I settled on WIN and RP, keep those segregated.  

Anything with a NATO cross (crimped primers) gets scrapped.  Everything else gets sold or used for friends that come over and reload 9mm and don't have any brass.

When I get too much WIN and RP I'll scrap the RP by swapping new range pick ups WIN headstamped brass for used RP brass which will then be scrapped.  Long term goal is to have only Winchester brass.
View Quote

Why WIN brass? I mean I like it, as much as FC. Dont like RP brass, just doesnt feel as righg
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Shoot 223 in an AR three times

More than three firings in an AR, an risk of head separation goes way up
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bro its 9mm who cares? If it was your precision rig I'd say yeah mark your brass with a pen and don't pick up randos, but its 9mm... Just run it through and shoot it.

Cull it when the case walls crack
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Why WIN brass? I mean I like it, as much as FC. Dont like RP brass, just doesnt feel as righg
View Quote
All three is fine.  I think I settled on Winchester because I had more of it than the other headstamps
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#20]
To like connect all the dots… bring it full circle…

If I am going to be heading to the range with an AR and just like zipping through a bunch of ammo, I will check which pile of Lake City year group once fired brass I have the most of.

Let’s say it’s LC14.

Then I will check those Federal factory ammo cans of XM193 or XM855 for LC14 stamped ammo.

Then when I get back home, I can add to that pile of LC14 brass.  Then eventually the LC14 pile will get big enough to set up the 650 with the prep toolhead and then the load toolhead.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 3:37:48 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a similar system for tracking brass processing. It's nice having this an xls file so it can be easily changed as the steps for processing evolve.

I always batch process and this list works as a traveler document. I know what's been done, what's left to do and what wasn't done... also a small area for notes/dimensions. I only put a date on the loaded rounds.    

Attachment Attached File

I don't keep track of the number of firings of range brass. A piece of brass gets culled when a defect shows up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 7:01:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks gentlemen,
I appreciate all the responses.

View Quote

@networkguru

You’re welcome!

Just to put the bug in your ear….and to muddy the waters even more….

RCBS makes an X sizer die.

Sooooooo…. If you have to trim brass with a lathe type trimmer, or Giraud, or a Gracy…or Possum Hollow Qwick case trimmer chucked in a drill….

Then trim your brass to 1.740” after  the initial resizing.

Then with subsequent firings and reloadings and resizings, if you screw the RCBS X-sizing die’s mandrel down a few turns, it keeps the brass from growing.

So you don’t have to trim every time.

So, yeah, in that instance, you are going to want to keep your recently once fired brass that could be 1.750” to 1.760” + long separate from your twice fired  (or three times fired….or four times fired) X-die’ed 1.740” long brass.

Clear as mud, right?
Link Posted: 9/19/2022 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Any more I don't track brass beyond carefully watching for damage..every piece of brass I shoot will get inspected at least 5 times if not more per loading...Since doing that I have not had an issue with  brass failure...
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#25]
For pistol brass I keep a few 1000 once fired cases in one or two head stamps squirreled away as extras then all the rest go in a big ammo can to be reloaded, shot and returned to the can. Every once in a while I stir the can around to mix up the brass. During brass prep and reloading I keep an eye out for cracked cases. Some of the larger caliber pistol brass I do track each firing but this is just for a few 100 pieces of hunting type loads.

For rifle I use a tracking sheet, like posted above, and zip lock bags to keep track of number of firings.

A good spreadsheet inventory system is a big help when you are tracking 1000's of pieces of brass for multiple calibers especially when reloading isn't your everyday deal. I can go a day or a year between reloading sessions and know what I have and where I left off due to good info tags in each lot of brass as well as good notes left when needed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:59:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I tracked some 9mm once upon a time.  After the 12th loading I quit tracking.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Pistol?  Meh, it's gravel - I run until I lose it.  which is often.  

Rifle, I track and segregate by # rounds fired and by caliber.  here's my sheet:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top